Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by WesleyB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum but I have been lurking for about a year. I will give the request and then some details to the issue I am having.

Request - I would love to get some reference photos of the Williams Ball Count Unit, Player Unit and Coin Unit. I inherited a few machines from my father in law and they are pretty roached out with some creative wiring inside. I want to verify that all of the correct wires are hooked up in the correct places and am having a hard time following the schematics for the mechanical side of the unit. I found wires that were loose or incorrectly placed based on the pictures I saw but wanted to take it to this group for a better photo and some advise on how to proceed.

Actual Issue - The game starts up fine with the left flipper then hitting the credit button puts a ball in the shooter lane with player 1 and ball one lights active as well as the light above the first player score reel. Once the ball is drained, the player two light above the score reel is active and it looks like it is firing the player S.U. to make that happen. This happens every time, not matter how many times the credit button is pushed. It never moves past player two or resets back to player 1. If the 2-3-4 "can play" lights are lit, the same thing still happens. The ball in play also never moves and always stays on 1. Another issue is the knocker never fires but I figure that is another issue all together.

As for wiring, since this thing was kept in questionable areas with moisture and large temp swings, the wiring is discolored and it is very hard to tell what is what...White appears yellow and blue appear black, so lots of fun there. I did clean all of the contacts in the relay contacts and pretty much all over to see if that was it but now I am pretty stuck. I am electrically knowledgeable (cars and digital stuff) but these EM machines are a completely different beast and the learning curve is steep for me. I feel like there are compounding issues and normally I can isolate and diagnose but this is proving to be difficult on these machines.

My first thought was to get some reference photos to see if it is wired correctly but that has proven difficult with Dr. Google. I have the original schematics and instructions but trying to find these contacts for the relays has proven a healthy challenge. I did bench test the solenoids and they do function on all the stepper units. Thanks in advance and y'all have a great community here!

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from WesleyB:

Once the ball is drained, the player two light above the score reel is active and it looks like it is firing the player S.U. to make that happen. This happens every time, not matter how many times the credit button is pushed. It never moves past player two or resets back to player 1. If the 2-3-4 "can play" lights are lit, the same thing still happens. The ball in play also never moves and always stays on 1.

Welcome to Pinside.

This kind of issue comes up here periodically. Star Pool uses the same basic circuit for ball count as many other Williams games of that era. If you review some of the earlier discussions it might help you make better sense of your schematic and track down your issue. Browse through some of these:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-revival
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jolly-roger-pinball
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pat-hand-ball-count-and-scoring-issues

You'll find more if you search for things like Ball Count, Coin Unit, Player Unit, etc.

Also, if you can trace a faded wire into a wire bundle you can often get a glimpse of a cleaner, less faded section of the wire.

If you still have questions just ask.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

I found the issue. What I (wrongly) assumed was a red - yellow wire was a red white. The issue ended up being one of the fingers that was on the player unit that was lifted off the contact. Thanks for the assistance and the links. Now I have to track down why the machine plays fine in 1 - 2 player but will not move past that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1974-star-pool-reference-pics-request-and-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.