(Topic ID: 290810)

Williams 1974 Lucky Ace no Ball Release and score motor running.?

By RetroDad65

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lucky Ace ball release (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RetroDad65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Ok I have been fixing up my Williams 1974 Lucky Ace machine. Last issue(s) I hope.
Long story short how it used to work; Every time I hit the start switch
1.) Good score and ball count reset and bonus reset and 1-9 rollover reset (due to conservative setting). All good except-
2.) Score motor would continue to run extra times around (1-7or 8 time) (ball count would go to zero then to one like it should but only once) Eventually something would click right and then
3.) Score motor would run one more time and the playfield would activate, then the outhole relay would activate and ball release would release the ball.

That was then - It appeared the behavior was getting better so I was trying to just get my 50pt relay to work correctly (see my first thread).

After I fixed my 50pt relay problem I decided to try to fix the above problem by cleaning the score motor contacts stacks.

Now,
I hit the start switch.
1.) The same.
2.) The same but far fewer times. The click happens
3.) Score motor continues to run as long as the ball is making the outhole switch. The outhole relay runs but no ball release.

0r
4) If I take the ball out the score motor wont run, and if I get a score then put the ball in, still bad score motor runs and still no ball release.

So basically I think I messed up some of the timing in the score motor stacks. Does anyone know of a good procedure for going through them to get them timed correctly.
Sorry for the long post.

Thanks -Bill

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I'd recommend just cleaning suspected switches one or two at a time until you get things running well.
If your Outhole relay is firing and everything else is working there are really just two switches you need to investigate for the Ball Release:
[quoted image]
One is a Make/Break switch on the Outhole relay and the other is the bottom switch on the #4 Score Motor Cam switch stack.
/Mark

Yep that's todays plan. I will go slow and steady and tackle this. Thanks.

#4 3 years ago

Ok so todays progress, I have the ball release is working. It almost seems too quick now. The reason is now the ball count reset (the ball countdown) relay doesn't seem to have time to work. I checked all the wiring, had to de-solder and re-solder the wires for continuity check and I checked 2A on the score motor. The only time it works is if I jumper around the score motor. So it has to be a timing issue. I don't think the outhole relay is staying on long enough to allow the outhole relay M&B E to make at the same time as 2A which would allow the ball countdown. I am going to check that right now though.

Another issue (possible separate) is when I make 1-9 then the 1-9 reset sticks in a loop with the score motor. Even if I shut off power and turn it back on the score motor keeps running unless I hold the relay in and the double bonus light comes on. Same with triple bonus, and special. I have to hold the relay in just for a second which allows what needs to happen happen. As I said before it seems to all be timing with the relays and score motor. And before you ask yes the stacks are in the correct positions All toward the rear except 6 (fwd) and 5 (half fwd). I am going to plug away for the next few hours and will keep my eye on this thread. Thanks everyone.

One more thing I thought I seemed like before you had to make the outhole switch with the ball before the ball release would work. Now it automatically works even without the ball being on the outhole switch when I start the game.

#6 3 years ago

Ok Now I am back to the ball release thru the outhole relay and Score Motor 4-A N.O. When I was going through the Ball Count Reset relay wiring. I had to make sure the grey-green wire from the outhole relay was good between Outhole-E M&B and Ball Index-C N.O. It was good, however in the process I checked grey-green also between the Outhole-E M&B and Score Motor 4-A N.O. While Score Motor 4-A N.O. was ok. I made it so it closed a little slower(opened faster - depends on how you look at it). Now the ball release doesn't operate anymore! I will attempt to put it back again tomorrow. It's to late now.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

When the ball drains the Bonus Count should happen first. Once the Bonus has finished counting the Outhole relay should fire on the Motor 6B switch. Once fired the Outhole relay will keep the Score Motor running until it relaxes. Motor 6B is at the end of the Score Motor sequence so the Outhole relay will keep the Score Motor running into the next cycle. The Ball Count should fire on Motor 2A as you mentioned, early in the next Score Motor cycle. Soon after that the Ball Release fires at Motor 4A as shown in the schematic above. After that the Outhole relay should relax when Motor 5B Make/Break switch opens. The Score Motor should stop soon after that.
To slow things down you can unplug the Score Motor service jack and turn the motor by hand to watch the order of things.

Yes it does/did go thru all the bonus counting first. Then it would just fire the ball release and shut off the Outhole relay, but no ball count down. The only way I can get the ball count down is to jumper the Score Motor-4A with either the Outhole-C Grey-Green or Ball Index-C grey-green (I don't remember which) even though the grey-green wire is good. So it is a timing issue in that circuit with score motor 2-A.

By the way the other issue or something to note is the Ball index relay will not shut off once it is made. I am thinking due to Outhole-D M&B timing.

Tomorrow I will try the manual stepper to check the timing. I am convinced now that most of my issues are with the M&B's and timing with the score motor cam switches.

#8 3 years ago

Tonight's update: Yea Ha!!! I got it back to working and it works well!!

After much trying to get the timing down, I did figure out if I just held in the outhole relay a little longer it would work. So I started tracing down the hold circuit on the outhole relay.

I got it down to the score motor 5-B M&B N.C. wasn't staying closed long enough for the outhole relay to make the ball release relay kick on. After looking at the diagram I also figured out that it should have more than enough time, since the circuit to energize the outhole relay was on score motor 4 which happens before 5.

At first glance the 5-B M&B looked closed like it should, but with a white paper behind it you could see it wasn't closed at all. One adjustment and wallah the outhole relay stayed on long enough to make the ball release go and all the other problems went away. Even the score motor running a few extra times around on game start.

I played it a few times and it is all working execpt a few times on game start the score motor did run a few extra times. But I think I will play it and see if the relay stacks settle into place and how it is acting.

Thanks MarkG It really helps to have someone to drive it ground with.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RetroDad65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1974-lucky-ace-no-ball-release-and-score-motor-running-?tu=RetroDad65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.