(Topic ID: 290486)

Williams 1974 Lucky Ace 1-9 Rollover Switch adjustments?

By RetroDad65

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Before contacts (resized).jpg
20210323_220743_HDR (resized).jpg
InkedBefore_LI (resized).jpg
Inked20210323_222013_HDR_LI (resized).jpg
Inked4_LI (resized).jpg
Inked3_LI (resized).jpg
Inked2_LI (resized).jpg
lucky ace lock switch (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 months ago

Hi Bill - welcome to the forums. When the rollover switches are closed, even very briefly, the 50 pt relay should energize, and there is a normally open switch on the 50 pt relay that should close and keep the 50 pt relay energized until the score motor has run - a locking switch. (Another switch on the 50 pt relay activates the score motor) Near the end of the score motor's movement, a switch on the score motor (5C) that is in series with that locking relay will open, thus de-energizing the 50 pt relay. (See the snippet below)

Check to see that the score motor is running, when you hit a rollover, and check to see that the 50 pt relay is energizing. If that relay is energizing, that locking switch should activate practically immediately, and the relay should stay on. If it's not doing that, you may have a problem with that locking switch. Use the wire colors on the schematic (looks like blue-yellow and red-green) to identify which switch it is. Clean the contacts of that switch and make sure the gap between the contacts is correct so that the contacts press together and actually slide against each other a bit when the relay is energized. Do the same for all the switches on that 50 pt relay while you're there....carefully.

lucky ace lock switch (resized).PNG

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from RetroDad65:It stays once it locks in. BTW how do I post without quoting a previous post? I don't see where to do that.

So are you saying the 50 pt relay does lock in reliably and you still don't get 50 points?

#11 7 months ago

Thanks for the photos, Bill. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the surface of that locking switch is kind of rough. As the good dr says, maybe smoothing it with a file would help? His point about the contact becoming electrically separated from the leaf is good too...always good to check. You might wind up replacing it.

As soon as that 50 pt relay energizes, it should lock in through the motor 5C switch and that locking switch on itself. One of those two switches has to not be making good contact if it's taking a while to lock in. Can anyone else see any other possibilities?

Can you watch that locking switch on the 50-pt relay when you roll over a button? Is there a lot of sparking when the relay tries to energize?

#14 7 months ago

You can get new switch blades and contacts from The Pinball Resource.

#16 7 months ago

Steve does have an awful lot of stuff, especially if you're working on Gottliebs. I don't know for sure about the silicon sleeves, but can you even get colored 44's? I've only seen white ones.

#19 7 months ago

Good, glad you got that problem fixed.

Everyone's different - some people can go into a complicated stack of switches and not hurt anything, others just can't. So I always hold my breath when I tell someone to get in there a dig around, hoping they're in the first group - otherwise you can cause more problems than you fix. But sometimes, you just have to get your fingers in there.

But you're almost there, and I see you have MarkG helping you on this latest problem. He's really good - he'll get you sorted quickly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside