Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by AlexF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 64 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

canon09082017 009 (resized).JPG
canon08082017 004 (resized).JPG
kppj47 (resized).jpg
canon03082017 006 (resized).JPG
canon09082017 007 (resized).JPG
Dpplaypj19 (resized).jpg
canon20082017 002 (resized).JPG
canon20082017 001 (resized).JPG
canon26112017 004 (resized).JPG
canon26112017 003 (resized).JPG
canon26112017 002 (resized).JPG
canon27112017 002 (resized).JPG
canon27112017 001 (resized).JPG
canon27112017 004 (resized).JPG
canon27112017 003 (resized).JPG
Dpplaypj9 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Picked up this machine a few months back from Skip (pinjunk) of Pa & had it shipped to Australia. Used Craters & Freighters once again & they, as always, did a great job. Skip had also quite creatively loaded a ton of mainly GTB spares which was great. Skip is an extremely honourable & worthy seller anxious to provide lots of pics, info & help.

canon25052017 001 (resized).JPG

canon25052017 010 (resized).JPG

The machine was sold non working & with considerable cabinet damage. Double Play is regarded as a very complex EM machine with general opinion that there are not too many in working condition. This in large part stems from the capture & firing of balls between turrets on the pf to replicate real baseball.

canon27052017 002 (resized).JPG

DPplaypj05 (resized).jpg

As always I like to get a machine working before I start the cosmetic tasks. This proved quite an ordeal. Initially the machine would not reset-identified as caused by an open motor board slam switch (picked up from an RGP post). In addition the innings, name & credit steppers were all severely gunked & were serviced along with motor board components. The man running unit was non operational as each of the men were severely gunk welded to their brackets. All disassembled & serviced.

kppj35 (resized).jpg

I then found that the bat motor (yes a motor which also drives the pf turrets) would not stop running when the machine was turned on. After considerable effort & after input from an EM guru this was identified as a sticking bat motor armature caused by it being ‘oiled’ at some point & an incorrect fan blade assembly. Phew now all working!

Now to the cosmetics. The cab had significant damage to the right rear leg support area (a previous fix was pretty rough; delamination of lower ply which adversely effected bottom board structure & general delamination areas. The backbox had severe delamination at the right top rear & at some point the back door had been prised open splintering the lock area. Also whilst from some pics the cab paint might look presentable in fact all over the cab the paint was splintering & therefore a repaint was necessary.

canon29072017 007 (resized).JPG

canon27072017 001 (resized).JPG

kppj47 (resized).jpg

canon29072017 004 (resized).JPG

The first task prior to starting the cab refurb was to prepare stencils. Firstly I prepared trace drawings using tracing paper purchased on ebay (from the UK) with 762mm width & 20m length (no joining necessary)- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gateway-Tracing-Paper-90gm2-762mm-x-20m-/272757349597

canon29072017 010 (resized).JPG

canon29072017 011 (resized).JPG

From the tracings I prepared the actual stencils using 6mm MDF board, a jig saw & hole saw for the roundies. I just prefer this method because I reckon it provides a solid finish, the original bleed & the stencils are reusable (if needed). As the cab & backbox sides are mirror reversed I needed 6 stencils – 3 orange/3 black.

canon01082017 004 (resized).JPG

The refurb started with use of a paint remover to remove the existing paint. I find it generally takes about 3 runs & then a general sanding.

canon01082017 006 (resized).JPG

Next using wood glue wood glue & clamps secure all delaminated areas; secure structural integrity & replace section to one side of the bottom board.

canon03082017 003 (resized).JPG

canon03082017 007 (resized).JPG

canon03082017 005 (resized).JPG

canon03082017 004 (resized).JPG

In areas where I will apply auto body filler I drill short pilot holes to lock the filler-this seems to work well. Following sanding I apply a primer coat.

canon07i082017 001 (resized).JPG

canon07i082017 003 (resized).JPG

canon07i082017 004 (resized).JPG

canon08082017 001 (resized).JPG

canon08082017 002 (resized).JPG

canon08082017 003 (resized).JPG

I am quite happy that the damaged areas seem to have come up quite well.

Base coat & light webbing now applied.

canon08082017 007 (resized).JPG

Time now to use the stencils firstly for orange

canon09082017 008 (resized).JPG

Then black

canon09082017 010 (resized).JPG

canon09082017 011 (resized).JPG

canon09082017 012 (resized).JPG

I think that went pretty well & registration looks ok. But wait a minute that registration of the front left black does not register with the cab side-damn have I incorrectly cut the stencil? Going to original machine pics thats the way it was out of the factory!

kppj3 (resized).jpg

If I left it like that it would bug me every time I looked at the machine so corrected it.

Next-internal cab issues; lock down bar; coin door; targets; backbox; pf.

NB My deepest thks to Alex F & EM Pinman for their continued wisdom & counsel; to Steve of Texas for setting the p&b benchmark & to Racing Pin for his ongoing assistance.

#2 2 years ago

Nice work Wayne.

#3 2 years ago

Nice work..!
I really like that style of figures on the cabinet.

#4 2 years ago

WOW! Nice job on the resto!

#5 2 years ago

I was very concerned selling this machine to Wayne because he couldn't see it in person and also because I have NEVER shipped a machine before let alone shipped one 1/2 way around the world. If that wasn't bad enough shipping cost was over double what he paid for the machine so I wanted to be 100% sure he was happy before making the deal.

I sent him dozens of pictures and did everything I could to discourage him from buying it just because I didn't want an unhappy customer. I was so relieved when I got the email from him that machine had arrived safely and he was very happy with it. Wayne & I have been doing business for years but it has always been just machine parts. So we knew each other fairly well before the transaction but it still concerned me getting this machine to him safely. Especially with about 60 pounds of other mixed parts packed inside of it.

Wayne has been keeping me posted about the progress but I am thrilled to see he started a post here since you don't see this machine often. And once his is done I think it will likely be the nicest one in the world. Playfield was exceptionally nice on this one but cabinet was a mess. The nice thing is a cabinet is easier to restore that a playfield.

I told Wayne the only regret I have selling it to him is I'll never be able to see it in person or play it but it will be nice to see this one finished even 1/2 way around the world. Keep up the great work Wayne!

One additional note - I am "pinjunk" on eBay - not here on Pinside - just in case any of you are wondering why Wayne referred to me as being pinjunk.

#6 2 years ago

Nice work Wayne! Love seeing these games restored to their former glory.

May I ask what paint remover you used?

Bruce

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Nice work Wayne! Love seeing these games restored to their former glory.
May I ask what paint remover you used?
Bruce

This is the stripper brand I use Bruce. In my experience it gives pretty good results.

canon21082017 005 (resized).JPG

#8 2 years ago

This is a pic of the front left black adjusted to sync with cab side & seemingly correct factory error. I adore the effect of Exaporust on the original legs.

canon21082017 006 (resized).JPG

A couple of issues internal to the cab. The tabs which act as a rear rest for the pf were badly worn (wow how many times had that pf been removed. I removed the worn sections by using a Bosch multi tool.

canon21082017 011 (resized).JPG

canon05082017 004 (resized).JPG

This is the first time I had used this tool which had been given to me a couple of years back. I was amazed at how accurate cuts can be made in difficult to access areas.

Purchased appropriate sized moulding from local hardware store & attached replacement sections using finishing nail gun.

canon05082017 003 (resized).JPG

A further issue which I assume existed since the machine was new was that the two screws retaining the right side of the pf did not align with the cab batten.

canon07082017 001 (resized).JPG

Again acquired a piece of moulding & fitted using pva glue & finishing nail gun & installed x2 dowels to take the screws.

canon07082017 002 (resized).JPG

This necessitated moving the pf lifting prop to the left cab. I will place a fresh dimple on the pf left using a forstner bit.

canon07082017 003 (resized).JPG

I have gained a tremendous respect for the effectiveness of Evaporust not only to rid rust but to rejuvenate nickel plating. It did a wonderful job on the legs of this machine but check out the lockdown receiver after having an overnight soak. The pic also shows the pf polycarbonate light panes I replaced.

canon21082017 003 (resized).JPG

The lockdown bar had a chipped laminate section on the right hand side.

kppj5 (resized).jpg

After correcting some 'delaminating laminate' I built up the section using body filler & blade putty, then gave the section a coat of satin black finished with some hand painted gold speckle.

canon14082017 001 (resized).JPG

canon21082017 007 (resized).JPG

and the underside of the lockdown bar

canon21082017 010 (resized).JPG

The coin door was in good shape but needed a refresh. I used a hammertone bronze colour (nearest I could find to the original) from a spray can. These three denomination coin structures are amazing to me-nickels, dimes, quarters through one slot! Incidentally a local auto repairer mentioned you can create hammertone paint by applying silicone drops to the paint can-less drops big hammer/more drops conventional hammer-interesting I thought.

In an earlier post I mentioned gluing sections of ply which had become delaminated. I have come to use a slither of celluloid from a piece of packaging to really force the pva glue as far as possible into delaminated crevices. The celluloid has the rigidity to really get into the cracks and when dry you can really 'feel the new found strength of the ply.

canon21082017 009 (resized).JPG

to be continued....

#9 2 years ago

Going to be following this. I've got one that has been in a home use environment since 1967 or 68 (grandma's basement). It's not ever going to look restored, but I think I can claim longest one in a home

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Going to be following this. I've got one that has been in a home use environment since 1967 or 68 (grandma's basement). It's not ever going to look restored, but I think I can claim longest one in a home

Wow that's really interesting. I will be really fascinated when you fire it up. From all accounts there are very few in operational condition.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Wow that's really interesting. I will be really fascinated when you fire it up. From all accounts there are very few in operational condition.

Oh, it works just fine! Been extremely reliable. It's still in the basement, and gets played weekly whenever grandkids or great grandkids are over. It's been rock solid since I was a kid, so at least 40 years.

#12 2 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of a 65 era Williams coin box pls? Thks Wayne

1 month later
#13 2 years ago

Really appreciative that Steve Azzam of bgresto produced a replacement bg for the machine-the original was shot as shown in pic. Equally appreciative that Clay Hurrell provided the master bg for Steve to produce a repro. Steve now includes the repro on his website http://bgresto.com/?p=1845

Dpplaypj9 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#14 1 year ago

Well finally completed this resto & the gameplay is quite enjoyable. Be interested to get the familys' feedback during the forthcoming holiday season.
This has been my most difficult resto. The cab was in poor condition & this is one complex EM to master the techs.
The complexity arises from the relationship between the pitcher & the bat motor which also controls the four pf turrets. But now that it is 100% working the operation of the turrets in firing balls to return and to other bases is a sight to behold.
The targets only control doubles, triples & outs so scoring of a single is crucial to achieve a 'man on each base' followed by a home run & grand slam to light a further bg D O U B L E P L A Y letter. When all letters are lit 5 replays are awarded (adjustable). An extra innings is achieved by hitting all 7 targets.

canon27112017 003 (resized).JPG

canon27112017 004 (resized).JPG

canon27112017 001 (resized).JPG

canon27112017 002 (resized).JPG

canon26112017 002 (resized).JPG

canon26112017 003 (resized).JPG

canon26112017 004 (resized).JPG

My thanks to Alex F for his ongoing commaderie & to Steve of Texas for his P&B inspiration. Also to Clay Hurrell for making available his Double Play bg to be used by Steve Azzam to create a beautiful repro bg.

#15 1 year ago

Looks great Wayne. It has to be satisfying to have this one completed. I know it was a challenge.

#16 1 year ago

Wayne,

I will send a personal reply to your email a little later but I wanted to post publicly here also. I still think you were crazy paying what it cost to get that machine shipped but that thing came out great. I can imagine putting that much time and money into a machine but with something that rare & unusual I fully understand why you decided to take on the project and the results look well worth the time & effort. You likely have one of less than a dozen working Williams Double Play machines that exist in the world and probably one of only a couple that work correctly. NICE JOB!

As far as your cabinet restoration, great work and just the way I like seeing them done - not beyond perfect just realistic looking original. I think some people go too far making old machines look too new yours looks great! When someone puts too much "bling" to an old cabinet I feel it takes something away from a machine. Yours looks like the way it came from the factory and that is the look I love!

#17 1 year ago

It looks great Wayne. Did you restore this machine because you love it, because of the rarity or you played it in the past?

I haven't finished mine but I think restoring a machine and getting it working because you love it would be the best feeling in the world.

Bruce

#18 1 year ago

It looks great Wayne. Did you restore this machine because you love it, because of the rarity or you played it in the past?
I haven't finished mine but I think restoring a machine and getting it working because you love it would be the best feeling in the world.
Bruce

Bruce,

For some crazy reason Wayne decided he needed to have that machine when I had it listed for sale. Wayne is an online friend & customer of mine and has been buying pinball parts off me for several years. As far as I know he just thought it was kind of cool but I don't know he had any past experience with that machine. I know he wanted a pitch & bat and I warned him the thing would be a "beast" to get working correctly (because of that double play feature) but even with shipping cost exceeding the price of the machine (actually almost double the price of the machine) he still wanted it. I knew he would do a great job with it (I have seen pictures of some of his other work) but I hated to see him spend sooooooooo much money on shipping.

I am sure he will tell you more. I just wish he lived here in the US - I would love to meet him in person. Last year he was talking about flying in for the Allentown Show and I am still hoping he might decide to do that this year but only time will tell.

#19 1 year ago

Bruce

Bruce
As for the machine I had wanted a p&b machine in my collection. When Skip advertised Double Play it was clearly different, needed a resto & despite its reputation for technical complexity I thought that was the p&b for me.

As far as restos are concerned I just loving bringing machines back from the dead but I also have a general ethos of always 'leaving things better than when you found them'. Like others have suggested I probably prefer restoring than playing.

Since coming into the hobby I have also been attracted by the diversity of skills involved in restoring-learning new things & new skills I find particularly rewarding. And at the end of a resto looking at the 'before & after' is just so satisfying. On this one getting that cab right was particularly rewarding-a couple of before & after pics:

kppj47 (resized).jpg

Dpplaypj19 (resized).jpg

canon03082017 006 (resized).JPG

I am sure you will have similar feelings Bruce-Wayne

#20 1 year ago

I agree with too-many-pins that you nailed the restoration. It has me very envious.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I agree with too-many-pins that you nailed the restoration. It has me very envious.

It is sooooooooooo hard to "master" exactly how far to go with things and Wayne has seemed to do that over & over again with other projects I have seen pictures of. Like I said earlier - my only regret is he lives sooooooooooo far away because I could learn a lot from him.

Wayne - keep up the GREAT WORK!

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from wayner:

I also have a general ethos of always 'leaving things better than when you found them'

I agree with that ethos and for me it applies to borrowing things too. I'll return a borrowed lawn mower clean and with a full tank.

Quoted from wayner:

I am sure you will have similar feelings Bruce-Wayne

There is a special reason why the one I'm doing means so much to me which I'll reveal in a topic when the time is right.

I saw your before cabinet photos. Horrible damage but you did a great job with it and I wish I could see your game in person.

Bruce

1 year later
#23 41 days ago

Looks great. I'm working on one right now.

#24 41 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Looks great. I'm working on one right now.

Be really interested to get your feedback on your work on DP Ken and would dearly like to see some pics at some point. Is it your machine or a customers?

#25 40 days ago

It belongs to my friend Welby Bergum.

#26 40 days ago

Very cool game but a challenging one to get dialed in, eh Wayner?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 6,450.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 109.99
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinfarmer Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside