Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

httpswww.ipdb.orgfiles2006Williams_1990_Rollergames_Manual (resized).png
thumbnail (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I think I killed my Rollergames board installing my NVRAM I unsoldered the 6116 soldered in a new socket and now it lit up with rollergames on the display for a couple seconds then the display went blank, there is no blanking light or diagnostic light. where do I even start I already checked all the fuses and test points for proper voltage, I rechecked my soldering job to make sure nothing was shorted or lifted traces. I just ordered the manual so it's on the way so I can't do much until it gets here or I might just order a Rottendog and start fresh

#2 5 years ago

The board can take a 6116 or a 6264. If you put in a 6264, a jumper will be required to be moved. Can you post a picture of your board please?

Quoted from wildwillys:

I might just order a Rottendog

I don't see this being necessary at all. With it, can come more headaches.

#3 5 years ago

The board worked fine and it had a 6116 in it, so I bought a Pinitech nvram 6116. the battery holder had corriosion and I wanted to get rid of it but will take a pic in a couple of minutes

#4 5 years ago

thumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

That needs to be taking care of first before doing any work to the board

#6 5 years ago

I was also wanting to see the area above and below the battery pack area. Fumes can do more damage and go undetected.

Is the 5volt LED lit when you turn on the game? You did mention the other 2 were off.

#7 5 years ago

I took care of the corrosion before I did any work on the board it was a very tiny bit on the battery holder and it didn't work its way to any of the components, yes the 5 volts light is on. the board worked fine until I changed out the 6116. I even swapped out another nvram to make sure that it wasn't bad and even put in the original 6116 back in the socket with no luck

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

I even swapped out another nvram to make sure that it wasn't bad and even put in the original 6116 back in the socket with no luck

May need a second set of eyes. First take a picture of the entire board while it's connected in the game and post it here.. leave the resolution large enough that it can be zoomed in on some. Might be something to spot there.

If not, you'll have to pull the board and take a picture of the front and back side without the NVRAM or chip installed at U25. Sometimes it's difficult seeing if a thin trace connecting to a pad was affected. Won't be able to see under the socket much, but maybe something can be spotted there.

Also, do you have a meter just to check if the game is getting proper 5v/12v at the test points?

You may also have to pull the schematic and manually verify continuity between the U25 solder pads and what they're connecting to on the schematic. And also verify no shorts between adjacent solder pads/pins at that U25 footprint.

I wouldn't think you need a new MPU just yet. Something went awry with the install it would seem. Or it exposed another issue that was present. Hopefully some pictures and/or using the meter to check some things can shed some light on things.

#9 5 years ago

I will try to take a pic tonight, I have correct voltages at the test points, I'm hoping somthing else happened I have replaced chips and sockets many times on other boards and have pretty decent soldering skills and something as easy as 1 chip should have been nothing to it. I am waiting on the manual to arrive in the next couple of days

1 month later
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

board worked fine until I changed out the 6116

This in itself sounds related to the work performed. Do you have a logic probe? It definitely helps find problems easier/faster sometimes.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

And also verify no shorts between adjacent solder pads/pins at that U25 footprint.

Already checked for shorts as mentioned above?

The Rollergames schematic online looks pretty good on page 91. Make sure you check for continuity from the top of the game ROM pins to the top NVRAM pins on the top side of the board as this will aid in testing the traces that are directly under the NVRAM, which is more likely where a trace was separated from the pad, if that is the case.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2006/Williams_1990_Rollergames_Manual.pdf

httpswww.ipdb.orgfiles2006Williams_1990_Rollergames_Manual (resized).pnghttpswww.ipdb.orgfiles2006Williams_1990_Rollergames_Manual (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-11c-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.