• Latest reply 9 years ago by pinwhiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

help.jpg
#1 9 years ago

This is my first pinball machine. I bought it yesterday knowing that it didn't play, but the problem sounded minor as the person selling said that the only problem he knew of was that the ball wouldn't load. It powers on just fine (sort of), lights up, flippers and bumpers work, score reel spins, but the machine immediately starts to give out credits . Once it hits its credit limit, the replay knocker stops.

I started by opening coin mech just to see that everything was in order. I found one of the triggers to be completely mangled, but even so, the switch was in it's default position so I assumed this wasn't causing the problem. Regardless, I straighten out the wire and made it functional.

Next, I go to the back box thinking that if I change the PLAY ADJUSTMENT setting to 'EXTRA BALL' instead of 'CREDIT', I can at least stop the constant knocking that comes with a replay... nope, no effect. I next turned the NUMBER MATCH ADJUSTMENT to 'OFF'... again, no effect.

I plan on digging into the schematic today once I get home, but figured I'd throw this out there to see what everybody here might know about my problems.

#2 9 years ago

Did you check your coin door to see if the other credit switch is stuck or shorted? You say you unmangled one, but there are at least two to check. Also check in the belly to make sure the coin door switches aren't purposely tied together anywhere. It's possible a relay is stuck, but it's more likely to be the previous owner doing something stupid.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Did you check your coin door to see if the other credit switch is stuck or shorted?

The wire on the other side (only 2 coin slots) along with the switch looked to be in perfect working order. It's hard to verify functionality however when the machine is continuously giving free games. I guess I rules out the coin mech from the get-go since the machine wouldn't pop when a coin activates a credit.

#4 9 years ago

Tonight, I plan on looking at features on the playfield that will issue a replay and check the condition of the relay/switches there. If nothing pops out as abnormal, I'm kind of at a loss. I guess I then just start systematically going through each and every coil/relay/switch with my DMM to ensure proper function of each element... something I should probably do anyway.

Being a complete newb to all of this, I welcome any pointers/advice any of you might have. Thanks.

#5 9 years ago

Find the 25c Relay, and check that it is adjust properly. The schematic I have is for Space Mission (the 4 player version) but should be much the same for this part. If the switches I have marked on the image below are closed, the credit reel will advance.

Also maybe someone as tried to make this game free play, look for wires that seem out of place in the back boa and cabinet.

help.jpghelp.jpg

#6 9 years ago

When you first turn the game on with credit unit at 0 position and score reels all at 0, I assume it just lites up till you press the start button. Does the motor continuously run till maximum credits are reached and then stops? Does the ball kick out, does the 25c relay activate. Did you check the 25c relay as Chrisbee suggested? You may want to check the 10c relay for shorted contacts also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-space-odyssey-wont-stop-issuing-replay-credits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.