View topic image gallery

Opto Switch Test 2 Open  (resized).jpg
Opto 1 Switch Test closed. jpg (resized).jpg
opto error 2  (resized).jpg
Position test head position unkown  (resized).jpg
big foot error not set  (resized).jpg
rev level  (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

rev level  (resized).jpgrev level (resized).jpgopto error 2  (resized).jpgopto error 2 (resized).jpgopto error 2  (resized).jpgopto error 2 (resized).jpgbig foot error not set  (resized).jpgbig foot error not set (resized).jpg

Hello,

I recently picked up a Whitewater Pinball machine in overall very good condition that has been sitting for a while. It had a very small amount of battery acid leakage that dripped lightly on the WPC board which I removed, carefully addressed with white vinegar and cleaned up along with a couple of issues (lost mine coil and ball return / trough were sluggish) which I cleaned and are working well now.

The game played for a few games but then the Big Foot head started to spin both clockwise and counter clockwise and will not stop. Since it doesn't stop spinning I can't start a game and upon boot up I get "Big Foot error not set"

I went into the test menu and into the Big Foot Test with the following results.

-When in the big foot test mode, I can do the following:

-Head position test I get the message that "Head position is unknown" error

-I can make the head spin in both directions using + & - buttonsPosition test head position unkown  (resized).jpgPosition test head position unkown (resized).jpg.

-In Opto test mode, the number 2 opto is checked but then the system freezes up and I can't get out of that test mode. I have to restart the game to get back to the beginning.

-All coils, flippers, lights, functions, ect work in test mode.

- I removed the small Opto board and it looked clean, no burnt components or signs of issues. I cleaned both sides of the Opto switches, but still no luck.

Any help / advise / guidance on what to try next is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Moe

#2 5 years ago

go into test and do a switch test, check to see if the optic's are all working.
just because it doesn't look bad, doesn't mean it is working.

#3 5 years ago

Hello wdennie,

Thanks for your advice. I performed a switch test on the Opto switches and found that Opto 2 is Open and Opto 1 is Closed.

I'm not sure if Optos on this game should be in normally-open or normally- closed, but it seems one of them is not right..

I also included pics

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again

Opto 1 Switch Test closed. jpg (resized).jpgOpto 1 Switch Test closed. jpg (resized).jpgOpto Switch Test 2 Open  (resized).jpgOpto Switch Test 2 Open (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

does the head still rotate during switch test?
and if it does do those to toggle on and off?

#5 5 years ago

I don't have this machine so only guessing what spins the head, but if it spins on a servo, what you are describing is caused by a faulty servo (that is if it uses one). Not being able to find the center point and spinning around are common servo issues in the R/C world and are usually caused by failing gears in the head of the servo. It is an easy fix if that is the case. You could then just replace it. Again, only with the assumption of a servo controlling the head.

#6 5 years ago

Thank you wdennie and Scoot!

The head doesn't rotate during the "Switch Test", however it does rotate and I can change directions in the "Big Foot" test mode.

In the "Switch Test" nothing moves and I just get a read out of the test. I can't toggle anything in Switch Test mode.

Scoot, I appreciate your input on the servo possiblility. I will research if the motor uses one on this game.

Thanks again

Moe

#7 5 years ago

try changing the optic 2 that show's open.
to eliminate that as a possibility.

#8 5 years ago

looks like you would need to replace the optic board.

#9 5 years ago

Much appreciated wdennie. I ordered one and should have it sometime next week & will provide an update.

Thanks again!

Moe

4 years later
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from MojoMoe1963:

Much appreciated wdennie. I ordered one and should have it sometime next week & will provide an update.
Thanks again!
Moe

Hello,

Did you end up replacing the opto board and did this solve the issue? Thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 12.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-s-whitewater-big-foot-errors-amp-head-spins-continuously- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.