pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20200620-134210_Drive (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20200619_110108 (resized).jpg
20200619_105906 (resized).jpg
Triple Strike 3 strike relay (resized).jpg
011D83C7-BDC4-4A7C-B16B-22C077318045 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I'm working on a William's Triple Strike I acquired recently. I've never had to actually post here before as I have found all the answers I've needed when working on my other games without needing to ask.

Background:
Me
-6th EM I've worked on, so have wet my toes
-I have schematics and manual
-consider myself fairly competent with electronics work, have good tools and test gear
-have read every potentially related post here and have gained a huge amount of knowledge about this machine

The machine
-Acquired from an unconditioned storage unit (a transport trailer)
-was told it worked when put in storage 15 yrs ago, I have had a few other dealings with this fellow and will take his word on that

Story so far:
-would not start or add credits
-cleaned credit unit
-cleaned a switch on the coin relay (thanks to PSchwisow for his post on reset sequence and detailed breakdown of the bonus scoring mechanism)

What's happening now:
-machine starts up when first quarter is dropped or when start is pushed and there are credits on the reel
-all drops, pin buttons etc work except the top hole (likely switch, have not looked yet, likely secondary to main problem)
-game always removes lit strikes during reset but then steps back up to having all 3 strikes lit

When draining
-no bonus for downed pins
-pins do reset
-ball counter does not decrement (stuck at ball 5)
-strikes count down to 0 without scoring points and immediately jumps back to 3 strikes lit
-1 to 10 unit does click 10 steps

I have disassembled and cleaned the 1to10 unit and ball count stepper. I have confirmed the bonus hold relay is not held in and switches are working

Any ideas or guidance on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I'll be tinkering!
Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

I’ve been refurbishing this game for a while now, so I’m pretty familiar with it. I had different things to troubleshoot than what you’re battling, but I think I can help. I would look for stuck switches on the 3 strike bonus unit. The first thing I’d suspect is the switch on the 1 to 10 relay that is fed by the impulse cam on the score motor. I’m attaching a picture of that area of the schematic with the path highlighted.

It would be better if I were in the same location as my game right now, but I’ll do my best and I’m sure others will chime in if they see something that I missed.

Good luck,
Dave

011D83C7-BDC4-4A7C-B16B-22C077318045 (resized).jpeg011D83C7-BDC4-4A7C-B16B-22C077318045 (resized).jpeg
#3 3 years ago

I’m also wondering if the 1 to 10 reset relay could be stuck on. Seems like you have a bunch of issues that could have a related source.

Dave

#4 3 years ago

I'm heading over to where the machine is now. I'm going to check the relays you highlighted in the schematic and will check the 1to10 reset relay. Is that the relay that others have had problems with residual magnetism?

#5 3 years ago

With the machine now,
-During reset the strike number 3 relay pulls in and holds in for long enough for the strike unit to count back up to 3 then drops out
-I have visually inspect the 3 strike relays and cleaned the contacts, nothing seems out of order nor has anything changed
-1 to 10 relay is not stuck on, one quick pulse

#6 3 years ago

I don't think the #3 Strike relay should fire unless the Strike Bonus Unit is in the 6th/last position.
Triple Strike 3 strike relay (resized).jpgTriple Strike 3 strike relay (resized).jpg
If you block its lock in switch (in the red box) does the #3 Strike relay not fire during reset?

/Mark

#7 3 years ago

I will check that however the problem is that the strike bonus always counts back up to the third strike on reset or draining which I believe is its last position and no bonus points are scored (no chine no score reel action)

#8 3 years ago

The schematic dgAmpGuy posted shows that the #3 Strike relay is one of the things that will advance the Strike Bonus unit. I think your Strike Bonus unit issue may just be a symptom of another problem.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from TomInTweed:

-cleaned a switch on the coin relay (thanks to PSchwisow for his post on reset sequence and detailed breakdown of the bonus scoring mechanism)

You are welcome! Glad my post helped.

This sounds a lot like bonus held behavior. You said you checked that, but maybe try to figure out what actually happens when that relay is engaged and see if there is something else that could trigger the same effect.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone. I had looked at those 1-3 strike relays so many times. Made sure they were clean and properly gapped, totally over looked the fact that the lugs for the no 3 relay had been bent and were touching!

Strike bonus is now working as it should as far as resetting to no strikes. Currently no bonus points are being scored but with the one issue out of the way I will refer back to PSchwisow's run down of the bonus scoring mechanic to see where I get

#11 3 years ago

After a bit of poking around I noticed the ball index relay doesn't fire during the bonus cycle.
By jumping the two contacts hughligted everything seems to work as far as scoring the bonus and decrementing the ball count on draining.

20200619_110108 (resized).jpg20200619_110108 (resized).jpg20200619_105906 (resized).jpg20200619_105906 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from TomInTweed:

the ball index relay doesn't fire during the bonus cycle

The Ball Index relay should activate when you score 10, 100, or 1000, and stay activated until the ball drains. Here are the circuits for those actions

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13 3 years ago

Things have taken a few steps back. I came to do some further investigation on the bonus issue and the machine is now stuck somewhere in the reset cycle. Seems to he near the end as it keeps firing the 1 to 10 reset, cycling the strike bonus and kicking out the ball. Scores reset fine and dont continue cycling, the drop targets reset and then dont continue firing either.

#14 3 years ago

How far is it getting in the Reset Cycle description in the manual?
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2652/Wms_TripleStrike0001.pdf

#15 3 years ago

Thanks for all the help!
The game completes everything upto and including the score reels, then seems to cycle through everything thereafter. I manually added points after they reset and it didnt attempt to reset them again so it is certainly getting stuck in a loop after the score reset occurs.

The picture is just to make sure we are all referring to the same thing

Screenshot_20200620-134210_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200620-134210_Drive (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago
Quoted from TomInTweed:

The game completes everything upto and including the score reels, then seems to cycle through everything thereafter.

So the Bonus Relay drops out over and over?

#17 3 years ago

Yes, the bonus relay pulls in until the 1 to 10 setup pulls in and then drops back out. It continues to repeat that over and over.

#18 3 years ago

What are the Game relay, the Coin relay and the Reset relay doing when this happens?

#19 3 years ago

The coin relay and reset relay drop out and do not come back on. The game relay latches and stays latched

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from TomInTweed:

the bonus relay pulls in until the 1 to 10 setup pulls in and then drops back out. It continues to repeat that over and over.

Quoted from TomInTweed:

The coin relay and reset relay drop out and do not come back on.

The Bonus relay should only pull in when one of these 3 switches closes. Which one(s)?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#21 3 years ago

I had just enough time to check those contacts. The contact on the reset really was the culprit. I will check the other functionality when I have a bit more time. Thanks for all the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
$ 24.98
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-s-triple-stike-not-scoring-bonus-and-always-resets-to-3-stri?hl=pschwisow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.