Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I've run into the next roadblock in my attempt to revive my strato flite.

In single player games, the game starts, plays correctly, scores correctly, and the end of ball sequence works with bonus countdown and ball eject.

However, it does not advance to ball two.

In multiplayer games, it's the same as above but does not advance to the next player.

I've checked the stepper units for ball advance and player advance. They both move freely and I can advance both manually with success and play the ball with correct scoring. Same issue though, player 2 doesnt advance to player 3. 3 to 4, etc. I can play complete games by manually advancing the ball and player steppers.

Ive followed a few other posts which led me to the ball and player advance switches on cams 2 and 3 of the score motor. Ive cleaned these switches and they appear to be opening/closing correctly. All the soldered connections look good

Ball index relay closes when a score registers and holds.

My next step was going to be tracing the wires from the switches on the score motor to the stepper units. This is where I'm running into trouble. I assumed, probably incorrectly, that it would be a straight wire run from the score motor switches to the stepper unit coils. However, the wire colors do not match up, so there must be something in between that I'm not seeing.

I also have what I thought was a separate problem. Occasionally I'm unable to start a new game even with 20+ credits available. If I manually add one credit from the coin door I can then start a game with any number of players.

Reviewing the schematics I see some relationship between the player unit and coin unit so now i wonder if there is something here to investigate.

Any thoughts on my next best move to narrow this down?

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

The multiplayer circuit is a little simpler so that's what I highlighted here. Check these 3 switches for proper operation.

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

HowardR

Thanks for mapping this out, it really helps. Still learning how to decipher these schematics. I checked these switches and found the outhole relay switch was just barely making contact, but not really bending the short arm. Gave it a clean and an adjust.

Started 2 player and the player advanced. It also advanced the ball count when it went back to player one.

Thought that had the problem solved. However, after a power down and a restart I haven't been able to replicate the player or ball advance. The outhole relay switch is still making good contact.

Ran out of time last night to keep working. On the schematic I see that the ball advance branches off of these 3 switches as well. When the player advance worked, so did the ball advance. Leads me to think that the downstream circuits work fine and the problem is in these 3 switches somewhere. I'll have a more detailed look tonight

#4 1 year ago

Resolved.

The Ball index relay was not closing when a point was scored. Switch "D" on the extra ball relay was the culprit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-s-strato-flite-no-ball-advance-or-player-advance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.