(Topic ID: 275013)

William's Phoenix stuck in audit mode/ yeah parts! Good and a little bad!

By Gorebash

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gorebash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15976351541082578085909168948283 (resized).jpg
15976371414259140696144754557140 (resized).jpg
1597637079054392080924932182699 (resized).jpg
20200816_222300 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorebash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hi all this is my first post and Phoenix is my first pin, recently bought this machine and have done a few things to it to help make it more reliable, machine was working when I brought it home, when powered up it would go into audit mode, battery holder was corroded but there wasnt visible alkaline damage to the boards or chips, I could advance out of audit mode using the advance button on the coin door and then be able to start and play games, which I did of course,I have recapped the power supply, there is one cap I am waiting on yet though and repinned the molex connector from the transformer to the power supply as well, I do have fuse holders to put in for the bridge rectifier as well.
I understand the board to board connectors can be an issue, i have ordered these as well, just havent arrived yet, I did reflow all the connectors on both boards as well, I also have the caps for sound board as well just havent got to that yet.one of the displays is not working either but I have a replacement coming as well. I played it Sunday afternoon and then went to play it Monday evening but it wont come out of audit mode now, I have since hooked a temporary remote battery holder hoping that would help but it still wont come out, I am going to try to link 2 short videos to show what it is doing, I did receive new game roms from pinballrom.com today and tried replacing the roms with no change, the prom that he sent is the one that replaces both mine and uses IC14, can I just remove both of mine and just use his at IC14 or is there more to it than that. Any help would be appreciated and I have gone through a lot of the information available on this site. Thanks Gerald

#2 3 years ago

#3 3 years ago

#4 3 years ago

Lol 2nd video could have used some editing.

#5 3 years ago

I have done some more reading and testing and have found that the 5101 chip appears to be bad, does anyone have a current part number for Digikey, the William's number is 5a-9017, I have looked on their website but I dont know enough to order the right one, thanks in advance for any help!

#7 3 years ago

Thanks Ken but even with the info you gave me I still cant narrow down the search enough on Digikey to get the right one, anyone else order through Digikey
I use them because they are a much quicker alternative here in Ontario Canada.

#10 3 years ago

Sometimes you just gotta laugh, thanks for the number Ken buts it's not available on the Canadian site.

#12 3 years ago

Joydivision I didnt know that can be done, would you be able to explain how it's done or where I can find the information to do it? Thanks Gerald

#14 3 years ago

Turning the power on and off quickly wont get it out of audit mode, I have tried many times, on the reset instructions it says you need to be in game
Over mode to start the process, I cant get there and when I switch it to manual and press the advance it just advances through the audit numbers
On the master display.

#15 3 years ago

Just to update I have ordered 5101 and socket from Pinballmedic in Ottawa, should be here next week, hopefully that's the cure! I did find out that changing from 2 to 1 proms on the sys 4 should be a plug and play with no jumpers etc, tried it didnt help enough though to make the Phoenix rise from the ashes! I did get the soundboard recapped last though.

#16 3 years ago

Does anyone have a number for Nvram that I could use?

#19 3 years ago

Did some other work tonight zeners and resistors for the high voltage side and new headers, I did the caps last week, waiting for parts stinks!

20200816_222300 (resized).jpg20200816_222300 (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago
1597637079054392080924932182699 (resized).jpg1597637079054392080924932182699 (resized).jpg
#21 3 years ago
15976371414259140696144754557140 (resized).jpg15976371414259140696144754557140 (resized).jpg
#22 3 years ago

Doesnt look good!

#23 3 years ago

Cleaned off, no bridging of solder that I can see, board is a little crispy though between those 2 pins, not sure exactly what I did wrong, any thoughts! Going to bed did enough damage for tonight!

15976351541082578085909168948283 (resized).jpg15976351541082578085909168948283 (resized).jpg
#25 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The connector shown sends power off to the displays. It should have both + and - 90v to 100vdc, +5vdc, and ground. With that connector removed you can measure for the proper voltages. High voltage is more likely to draw an arc than low voltage, so clean out around the header posts as charred PCB material supposedly can be conductive. The char spot does not look like its around the HV tho.
The two diodes rectifier diodes in the 12v to 5v regulator are looking toasty. The originals are 3amp diodes and almost always put beefier diodes in here. Like 6A4, 10A10, or similar higher current rectifier diodes have more mass and should dissipate heat better so not to burn up the area around on the PCB.

Thanks for replying barakandl, I am unsure why it is arcing there, I replaced z2, z4 diodes with1n4763, z1, z3 diodes with 1n4730 well as r1 through r6 with proper replacements as well, I thought it would be good maintenance to replace the hv header as well, i wasnt having issues in this area I just thought it would help make the displays last longer as recommended. D7 and d8 diodes were replaced by previous owner, they are the mr500 so I should probably replace those as well, I cleaned up the pcb between pin 1 and 2 and unsoldered the new header just in case I had bridged solder on top, I hadn't so I soldered it back into place and rechecked last night's work, I couldnt find anything wrong so I reconnected the board and checked voltages, I had 89 and 90 on the hv pins and 5 on the 5v pin, so I reconnected the connector and the displays worked, I waited for maybe 2 minutes with no arcing so I turned machine off and reconnected everything else, then turned machine back on it was ok for about 30 seconds then the displays went out and it started arcing again at the underside of the display header again, when I pulled the board this time it was arcing between pin 3 and 4 this time which are the positive and negative hv, I dont know what I have messed up but I triple checked any soldering that I have done and cant find any problem areas, any ideas as to what I may have done would be greatly appreciated, ps I only have 3 of the player displays connected, #4 is not working and I have it disconnected, would that cause the arcing?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

There must be something conductive enough to draw an arc. What kind of solder are you using? Flux is not supposed to be conductive except maybe the water soluble stuff at high voltages.
make sure there is no foreign material between the header pins.

I'm am using a solder for electronic work, I wondered if I didnt clean the flux off well enough? I was thinking I havent repinned that connector and maybe there is a lot of resistance in the old one , I'm gonna repin it and see what happens.

#28 3 years ago

Repinned connector and recleaned the board, installed and powers up, displays working, proper voltages and no arcing so far. Still waiting on parts to hopefully fix the audit issue.

#29 3 years ago

Received my order and guess what no 5101, called supplier and he's hoping for next week, I wish he would of told me he didnt have it! I really am hating writing for parts.

3 weeks later
#30 3 years ago

Well good news is that I received the chip, installed it in the new socket, installed female side board interconnector , installed flipper kit,
Installed rubber kit, plus another wax job, new cabinet flipper switches, finally able to turn it on and it works, but still have a few gremlins
To work out of the old girl, had a rapid fire right flipper which I found had a bad diode and one of the small wires on the coil had a bad
Connection that I fixed, ohm were now in the 86ish range and 3.6, with the bad being 86 and 1.6. Sadly the coil didn't make it a game
Before it totally quit, lol I get to wait for parts again, I do have some connection issues though, I have had it where the displays go out,
The knocker goes and it's dead, I have to restart the machine which sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt, also when I open and
close the coin door the Gi's flicker, I do have a new board molex connector to solder on to the power supply as well as new diodes I hope helps
But I am thinking I may need to repin a couple connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorebash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-s-phoenix-stuck-in-audit-mode?tu=gorebash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.