Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

The match /alternating mini stepper in the back box of my Space Mission needs a rebuild. The plate and and the 'C' shaped pushing piece are gone {C&D in diagram}.

Pecos once stated:

Quoted from Pecos:

Williams Mini-Match Stepper from a Liberty Bell. This stepper unit uses a coil and an armature instead of a solenoid and plunger. It is hard to work on, at least it is for me. I don't recommend disassembling unless absolutely necessary!

and Rolf_Martin_062 once provided this diagram in another discussion.

Pre-Photos taken - any tips/techniques before I dive in??

--Thanks

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

any tips/techniques before I dive in??

See if you can find a working one to buy so you don't go insane.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks currieddog - that was the exact response I expected based on Peco's foreboding comment.

I have been looking for a while but even when machines that have this unit are parted out these seem to be gone already. I was able to find a used plate w the nylon c gizzmo so I need to at least try. As the unit is non op now , I can't make things worse ((well - I could )) is how I am thinking.

Can't be any worse than looking into the Total Perspective Vortex now can it?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

I have been looking for a while

Did you do a classified here? I've had very good luck with some obscure parts.

Quoted from zaphod:

Can't be any worse than looking into the Total Perspective Vortex now can it?

Hmmmmm. Please report back.

#5 3 years ago

I am not sure it this is what you're looking for.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-7989

or this one

https://www.jtamusements.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1376

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 3 years ago

Yep ArgosySK - that is the part I did get and soon to install. Just by looking at it one can see it is going to be finicky! Was hoping a 'pinball whisperer' might weigh in with magical tips before I do open heart surgery. Was gonna tackle it tonight but just was reminded I am away north all of tomorrow so now a Wednesday task.

#7 3 years ago

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5211&search=Actuator

Actuator
Brand: Williams
Product Code: 3A-7366
Availability: In Stock
$4.95 USD

Wasn't sure if you still needed part D

#9 3 years ago

Pinball Resource should have that part.

#10 3 years ago

Have it. In hand. Not a part concern - it be the task!

Pecos, currieddog and some suggest looking for the entire mini-stepper as once you tear into it getting back together and working just so is a PIA.

In the past year I have asked about an entire unit and never found one for sale. Reached out to Skip - toomanypins - a while back and his advise was to find a parts head with one still in it. Still looking. Saw the plate & pusher piece a while back online and purchased. Just made room for another machine and the Space Mission came out of storage and this steeper is the only thing left to fix - plays without it but I have to leave it set so the lanes stay lit.

Like fiddling with a Gott Ax relay - something I would rather avoid - and this seems way finickier with the number of moving parts that need to be oh-so-just-right.

1 month later
#11 3 years ago

So here to report success! Even if I had the third arm of my namesake, it would not be enough to hold, fit, rotate, slide and squeeze all the places and parts one needs to do at once. With three arms you could hold everything but reaching for the screw and driver is the issue. Used a hemostat as an apendage - clamp and more.

Prior to assembly, I adjusted the switch and brass brake in a practice assembly run. I made sure the axle turned with as little resistance as I could - making sure the spacer wasn't too tight or the discs alligned parallel. I was careful during the process not to bend the contacts/wipers on the discs fearing it could effect rotational force.

Fourth try, excessive language and a compact with the devil - when I'm done with it, it's Satin's machine, ass on the glass . But I think I came out ahead in the deal - Space Mission, mini-steppeer and all at 100%.

Cheers

Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-s-mini-stepper?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.