You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hot-Line-ipdb-Cabinet (resized).jpg
hot_line (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

Hello!
I bought a Hot Line pinball machine for my husband about 6 months ago. We have enjoyed playing but recently, the enjoyment has been lost. When we shoot the first ball, and as we are playing, the ball advance relay (I think) malfunctions. It goes from ball 1 to ball 5 in about 30 seconds, then the flippers stop working.
My husband is extremely handy and will most likely be able to figure out and fix, but I was wondering if anyone had ever encountered this. The machine is in very good shape, however, I am sure it hasn't been serviced in a few years. Where should he start? We would love to get back to playing it again.
Thank you..
Noelle

#3 6 years ago

What is happening is that the score motor is running (perhaps for legitimate reasons like counting a bonus) which is triggering the ball step up.

You can find the schematic for your game here: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1245/Williams_1966_Hot_Line_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

This part shows how the ball unit step-up solenoid is energized:

hot_line (resized).pnghot_line (resized).png

Once per revolution of the score motor, switch 2B on the score motor pulses the ball count step-up. This does nothing unless both the ball index relay and the outhole relay switches are closed.

The ball index relay closes when you score some points -- so assume that is closed.

The outhole relay switch should not be closed. Check the switches on the Outhole Relay to ensure that the switches open/close properly. In particular look at the switch with red-black <-> yellow-blue wires.

#4 6 years ago

Hi Noelle, hi dr_nybble
I (also) wanted to write about the probably faulty always closed switch on Outhole-Relay (closed when relay is not pulling). The Coil on the Outhole-Relay should have a paper wrapped around "Z-27-1000". Attention: Also the "Advance Relay" and the "Reset-Relay" have "Z-27-1000" coil-wrapping. Well, as I made the JPG - here it is - maybe of help. Greetings Rolf

Hot-Line-ipdb-Cabinet (resized).jpgHot-Line-ipdb-Cabinet (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 10.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-hot-line-malfunction and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.