You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aztec_problem (resized).jpg
PXL_20230329_230712849 (resized).jpg
Aztec Coin relay (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I've almost got my aztec running. It's been stored in my decently dry basement for 20 years. I've messed with it off and on, never completely running well.

I recently cleaned all contacts and closed every relay by hand to see that the switches are at least close to making and breaking correctly. I cleaned the stepper units. But didn't tear them down because thy seem to function correctly and I'm scared to tear them down.

Now when I start the game, the coil relay pulses quickly, but does not stay in long enough to turn the score motor even one turn. It also latches the game over and pulses the reset relay. If I hold the coin relay in, the machine resets and usually starts a game. I see arcing in the switch that runs the score motor when I hold the coin rely in. I adjusted and cleaned the switch in case it was not making goo contact, but it stil arcs. Ii seems like my problem is the coin relay not staying in. I looked through the start up sequence and schematic, I just can't figure out what to go after.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

#2 1 year ago

Welcome to Pinside. Once the Coin relay fires it should hold itself on until a switch at 5B on the Score Motor opens.
Aztec Coin relay (resized).jpgAztec Coin relay (resized).jpg
If it doesn't, either the Score Motor switch, or the Coin relay switch above is not closing properly or is dirty.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the help. I made some progress I think.

The switch on the cam was making, but it was bent way up, so I took the stack apart and straightened it some. Unfortunately, one of the bakelite spacers fell out and since I didn't take a picture first, I'm not sure I put It back in the right place.

Would anyone with an aztec be willing to post a picture of switch stack on cam 5 that shows the spacers?

The game is still not resetting, but I want to fix the spacer before I go much further.

1 week later
#4 1 year ago

Does this help at all?

PXL_20230329_230712849 (resized).jpgPXL_20230329_230712849 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5 1 year ago

Thanks for the picture. That's exactly what I needed.

I still have two problems that I can't shake down. They seem to be related, so I hope that they might share the same source.

1. the coin relay still does not stay in on reset. The score motor runs one revolution, counting down the score, but stops leaving the game partially reset. If I manually engage the coin relay, it stays in and the game resets. Everytiing from MarkG's schematic snap seems to look ok.

2. At the end of a reset cycle or end of ball bonus award, the bonus unit does not step back up to 5000. The coil twitches once per cam revolution, but does not stay on long enough to step the bonus up. If it let it run long enough, it frequently does step up and start the ball. If I manually step it up, the game immediately starts (or moves on to the next ball) During normal game play, the bonus unit steps up just fine.

Any thoughts?

aztec_problem (resized).jpgaztec_problem (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

Problem #1
The reset relay is dropping out after 180 degrees of the score motor regardless if any of the score reel switches are still closed. The BLU-BR wire that’s connected to each score reel switch isn’t keeping power to the reset relay hold circuit.
Inspect this wire on the backbox jones plugs for a bad connection.
Problem #2
Score motor cam 3 switch B normally open switch with grey-y & grey-g wires connected pulses the bonus step up coil just before the ball release coil fires.
Clean, inspect and adjust switch if needed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ashburn, VA
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/william-aztec-reset-problms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.