Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-263.jpg
image.jpg

#1 10 years ago

My mini playfield will only go to the left in the game mode or go to the right very slowly or not at all. I ran a test mode it said check switch 94. Then I ran a mini playfield test and everything works , when the game first starts up to do its testing the mini playfield works perfectly fine as well. I also tested it back and forth in the test mode and it works perfectly. It just does not work when your playing the actual game. Any ideas on how to fix this ? Thanks

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Please don't use all caps in thread headers in the future.

#2 10 years ago

This is a fairly common problem, I had it on mine many years ago and IIRC it was the small opto board at the back of the playfield that was the problem. I believe it was a flaky opto, once that was replaced it was good to go again. Unfortunately I remember it being a bit of a bear to get at to fix or replace.

#3 10 years ago

Agreed, but those optos are hard to find. I have an old TZ clock board I scavenge from.

Although that is usually the problem, it can also be related to the flipper boards for some min PF's, such as this and more commonly TS. I would first try swapping the flipper opto boards, if the issue remains unchanged, it's time to dig apart the left rear and examine that board, could just be cracked solder joints on the optos that need reflowing if the problem is intermittent. If the problem changes to the other side of the mini, it's a flaky opto on the flipper board.

#4 10 years ago

Ok thanks guys I just took it apart so I'm hoping that's the problem anyone know where I can find the board if need be

#5 10 years ago

I had the same problem on mine. Just ordered a replacement board from http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

Haven't installed it yet...

#6 10 years ago

Thanks Ill pick one up and give it a try

#7 10 years ago

Ok so I've ordered the board and waiting on it to come. Where do I find the flipper opto board on the machine and should I order it as well just in case the mini playfield opto doesn't work.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Dellamarmalade:

Ok so I've ordered the board and waiting on it to come. Where do I find the flipper opto board on the machine and should I order it as well just in case the mini playfield opto doesn't work.

The flipper opto board is the one that you activate by pressing the flipper button - it is screwed to the cabinet on the inside of the flipper button.

You could try cleaning the opto slots in the optos on this board with a cotton bud, this might fix your problem and is easy to do.

#9 10 years ago

Ok ill give that a try when I get home to the machine Thanks

#10 10 years ago

As I noted, you should have tried swapping the flipper opto boards first. It's likely not the issue, but it could be, and is an easy first test.

It sounds as though you are not experienced in fixing these (just by what you posted above). If so, I would recommend posting back on taking the mini PF off when you get that board, as this can be a little tricky, unless someone has a thread detailing this. It's not overly hard mind you, you can do it, but it is more complicated than most things, and that mini really has to be levelled out after for the left and right action to remain accurate.

#11 10 years ago

So I put a card between the opto sensors for the mini playfield in the rear of the cabinet and nothing registered in the test screen for either opto switch. Does that mean the board is useless All the other optos and switches registered during the test.

#12 10 years ago

clean optos with q-tip and reflow solder on the back of the board for those optos

#13 10 years ago

Tried that They still don't work the top opto didn't register all at the bottom said something about a ground issue then nothing comes up now

#14 10 years ago

Does anyone own an IJ they could take a picture of the bottom rear back of the play field so I can figure out where these wires go. I don't have a manual unfortunately image-263.jpgimage-263.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#15 10 years ago

I was having some light issues on the path of adventure where the bottom 4 lights were not in sequence with the upper four lights on the play field could these wires fix it ??

#17 10 years ago

Perfect thanks

#18 10 years ago

Just in case I can't find it the wires are green and the other is white they are both wrapped in a rubber sleeve

#19 10 years ago

On mine, it looks like they go up the back of the backboard, then through the hole under the bridge, and are soldered onto the switch above the left gate ( near the I at the top of the playfield).

#20 10 years ago

Those small board optos don't register in switch test mode.

Are you good with reflowing solder joints? Reflow the optos and try the board again. If it's intermittent, that means the opto works, but there is likely a cracked solder connection. If it doesn't work at all anymore, either the opto is bad, or the solder crack is allowing now connectivity. Again, reflow, see if that works, and if it's still intermittent after this, again, try swapping the flipper opto boards just to be sure.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from ab3:

On mine, it looks like they go up the back of the backboard, then through the hole under the bridge, and are soldered onto the switch above the left gate ( near the I at the top of the playfield).

Can you please take a picture for me. They are the only ones that are covered with a rubber sleeve. It would be so much easier to diagnose the issue if you did.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Those small board optos don't register in switch test mode.
Are you good with reflowing solder joints? Reflow the optos and try the board again. If it's intermittent, that means the opto works, but there is likely a cracked solder connection. If it doesn't work at all anymore, either the opto is bad, or the solder crack is allowing now connectivity. Again, reflow, see if that works, and if it's still intermittent after this, again, try swapping the flipper opto boards just to be sure.

Hey. I did resolder the joints and after they still didn't work unfortunately I odredered both boards just to be sure

#23 10 years ago

A single white wire and a single green wire. Please help it's driving me mad

#24 10 years ago

PM me your number, I'm in London, I can give you a call tonight or tomorrow and try to help you work through your issues if you want. Sounds like you have a couple things mixed up.

#25 10 years ago

Hey atomic boy thanks for your help. I may have a buddy come by tonight who knows his stuff about this machine to figure it out for me. I've been at it for most of the afternoon with no success. If we can't figure it out I'll be on the phone with you. Thanks again

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from ab3:

Thanks for the info. That was where the wires go. It drove me crazy for the afternoon

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
14,000 (OBO)
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Toppers
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
25,000 (Firm)
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willams-ij-mini-playfield-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.