4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bbddpp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bbddpp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I had to put some good force on it, but finally got my AFM start button pulled out to change the lamp to LED. Now I have two problems.

First off, it's not going back in, either with the original or the new stubby LED. I recall seeing a video somewhere stating these old buttons were a one way ticket out and cannot be replaced. That can't be true can it? It certainly does seem like I'd need hammer force to get it back in (don't worry, won't use a hammer, unless I get really really mad at it.)

The other thing I noticed is that the start button is not lighting. It's the only lamp that doesn't seem to be working in the game and the wiring looks good (everything plugged in) so I can't help but wonder if I just messed something up when putting the force on it to pull it back. Both the LED and the original bulb no longer light up.

Unless there's a way to put these buttons back into place with the existing hardware, I intend to replace both the green (AFM) and yellow (TZ) with a new twist type button which is what I assume are the only ones on the market now.

Anyone have any experience with these suckers?

#4 4 years ago

Yeah this was definitely not a twist. I finally muscled it out but it doesn't seem to want to go back in there. It's not lighting up away but it does work when manually switched to start the game so functioning, just not lighting up. I have a feeling that per this video I saw that taking out the straight pull type breaks them and makes them impossible to put back in? Little wild...

#5 4 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. So a bit more info here.

Found another old switch that I tried and got the bulb to power up. Happy about that. Then, while it was switched on, and I was trying to brute force push it back in (wires connected still, this may have been my sin?) the light went out. I saw it START to go out when pushing a bit, backed off, light came back on. Then I gave it a REAL push and still didn't go in, bulb socket them stopped working in the switch for food. I will note I haven't loosened the button from the cabinet at all, didn't see a need to do that as I'm just changing a lamp.

Bulb is not damaged, tests fine in another socket. So, now I am angry, and both switches now will not give light with any bulb. Have I somehow damaged these trying to push the start buttons back in? The video I saw here has me thinking maybe an LED (even the one I am using from comet which looks plenty narrow to me and they sent with the kit) forces the lamp socket out of sync and breaks it when trying to push it in?

I feel silly asking this, as this seems like it should be so simple. Yet here I am now with 2 start button switches with broken lamp sockets.

I'm stumped guys. I feel like if I get a third switch and push it will just do it all over again. Maybe my problem is illustrated in this video, and I need to be modifying the button inside to get it back in???

#8 4 years ago

I was trying to push it back in with all 3 wires connected. Perhaps I need to look at the wiring and not the switch itself. Bulb is still fine. I think you just gave me the courage to push it back in full force. If the bulb breaks it breaks. It’s possible in somehow hurt the wires and not the switch good point especially since both switches aren’t lighting now (but the start function does). So it will be only the wires that power the light socket I need to check.

#9 4 years ago

You guys rock, thanks. All I needed was some elbow grease with the wires off and that sucker went right back home. Appreciate the inspiration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
16,500 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bbddpp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willams-bally-start-button-removal-replacement?tu=bbddpp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.