(Topic ID: 298190)

Will you ever consider buying a NIB JJP pin?

By megalo17

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JohnJ1366
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you consider buying a JJP pin in the future?”

• Yes. Playfield damage is overrated IMO. 33 votes
    11%
  • Yes. Eric’s and Pat’s designs are too good to pass up. 31 votes
    11%
  • No. Jack insinuating that pf damage is caused by the customer was the last straw. 114 votes
    39%
  • Maybe. Depends on if they fix the QC issues. 111 votes
    38%

(289 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

timgunn-tim.gif
1C2C8B70-D30C-4666-909B-8C365D766AC3.gif
Yoda Popcorn (resized).jpg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Did you get that in written contract form? With the owner's signature?
Sounds like snake oil to me...

Maybe that’s because you don’t have a good relationship with your local distributor. I’ve purchased many NIB machines from my guy. Whenever I’ve had any issues he takes care of it directly, I don’t have to try to get ahold of the manufacturer and file a ticket. He alleviated my concerns when I thought about cancelling my order and judging by my past experiences with him, he would honor his word.

#102 2 years ago

Prove to me issues are fixed and I would consider it
Otherwise I am out - no FOMO for me at all.
Would rather miss out on a "great machine" then deal with pf issues
There is nothing in pinball that I need at all

#103 2 years ago

Interesting thread. I was in this hobby to a much larger degree when JJP was getting off the ground. At that time people were totally PO'd at Stern for shoddy quality compared to Bally/Williams and were holding up JJP to bring quality "back" to pinball. I got a NIB WOZ and all were impressed with quality.......until the LED board issues. I was pretty choked that I had this expensive (at the time 8k canadian for a new WOZ) that was IMO a lemon. Unloaded it and said I'd never buy a NIB JJP. So to see the discussion now - names have changed but seems like the same old same old.

I do think its pretty short sighted to not address these issues before they become issues - meaning catching them at the factory. You "MIGHT" be able to excuse Stern on poor build quality a decade ago - as a pin going on route........"what evs" right? But this hobby is now pretty much driven by individual hobbyists who are buying a game........... but also a piece of art, and they want it to be beautiful. And for the price being paid now - ya, they shouldn't be putting up with manufacturing defects like this. Again - maybe a electrical engineering defect (the lighting and boards on original WOZ were "new territory") on some new electric toy/effect.......but the recipe on fit and finish has had 25 plus years to perfect. So no real excuses for it to be happening.

I suppose to catch it at the factory would mean smaller batches with quality control on those smaller batches to prevent these issues making it to the customer - that in turn would likely drive up cost. To what degree not sure, and not sure anyone wants to pay even more TBH.

#104 2 years ago

I've always had really good customer support with them. Eric is often out there on social media helping people with problems (and sometimes the other guys as well), and Steve Z. is always good help, and Lloyd is always around here and Facebook, and every part I've ever needed from them (about 5) has arrived here quick and cost me $0.

I've had to use the customer support for all of Stern, JJP, Spooky, AP, DP, and CGC the last few years. DP is a little tricky because of the time difference, but otherwise they all did the jobs you'd hope for. Some days are better than others, sometimes they get backed up, go on vacation, but it'll get done.

(edit: I also have no pf wear or clearcoat bubbles on my GnR, so I'm not feeling the sting of that like others are)

#105 2 years ago

Ever? Sure. If you'd asked me circa Austin Powers if I'd ever buy a NIB Stern game, I'd have laughed in your face. But now they make the best games in the world, by a large margin, and I have bought several.

Anytime soon? No thanks. I'm more bothered by how they sluggish they play than by clearcoat and/or customer service issues.

#106 2 years ago

"stern the best pinball machines in the world" looool !!! Can't wait for the next JJP, me and my friends are looking forward to it. Greeting.

#107 2 years ago

Probably not. Flipper feel...

timgunn-tim.giftimgunn-tim.gif
#109 2 years ago

Pinball manufacturing is hard. There is no doubt about it. Supply chain is the hardest it has ever been for so many reasons. IMO Jack is human and maybe has said some things in haste that he wishes he could take back. In some cases, maybe he was even right. Here is the thing, JJP games are at a level that is on its own (IMHO). With this in mind, yes I would buy another JJP machine. My guess is Jack is already looking at other playfield options (again?). Hopefully he gets a good partner to put this to rest.

The truth is I LOVE the titles and innovation going into his games. They are really really good. If it wasn't for him pushing games out on the market, Stern would probably still have dot matrix displays. Bottom line is this is fixable and hopefully things will calm down on both sides. My personal experiences with Jack over the years, and there has been a lot of years now, has always been fair.

I am just happy there is competition out there and innovation continues. What JJP did with GnR's was nothing short of amazing.

Peace everyone! Let's try to enjoy pinball

#110 2 years ago

no i dont gamble i work hard for my money i wont risk 10,000

4 months later
#111 2 years ago

Given my nightmare experience with JJP and my POTC, I'd sooner consider a career as a sword swallower.

#112 2 years ago

When I bought my Dialed In several years ago,I was treated pretty good by JJP, when a problem popped up. From what I've read recently about JJP, I don't think I'd ever buy another NIB pin from them again. I wouldn't even consider a used one now, due to all of the games out there with defective playfields.
I'm not too happy with Stern right now,and if JJP didn't change for the worst,I'd cancel my Jurassic Park, and put down a deposit on a Toy Story instead.

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

When I bought my Dialed In several years ago,I was treated pretty good by JJP, when a problem popped up. From what I've read recently about JJP, I don't think I'd ever buy another NIB pin from them again. I wouldn't even consider a used one now, due to all of the games out there with defective playfields.
I'm not too happy with Stern right now,and if JJP didn't change for the worst,I'd cancel my Jurassic Park, and put down a deposit on a Toy Story instead.

Fortunately we have other options. AP, Spooky and CGC all put out quality games and legitimately care about their customers. That’s where my pinball money is going from now on. JJP lost me forever.

#114 2 years ago

Bought a used YBR. NIB GNR and my Christmas present was a NIB WW. Both were from different distributors and both had minor problems. GNR was cosmetic that I could care a less about. Sent the distributor a quippy email saying aliens must have done and I received new cabinet decal in mail without asking (zero chance I’ll ever put it on cause I buy them to play not to look at under a microscope). WW had a screw fall out of a diverter and spent couple hours figuring it out (funny thing is I posted about it after I fixed it and was given a simpler solution by another pinside member). That being said as far as I’m concerned these are minor issues and i expect them to happen.
So to answer the question of the post, Yeah I think I will buy another NIB JJP

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-you-ever-consider-buying-a-nib-jjp-pin/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.