(Topic ID: 313824)

Will you back the Kickstarter of the upcoming Dragon's Lair pin?

By Haymaker

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by seenev
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you back the Kickstarter of the upcoming Dragon's Lair pin?”

• Yeah! YOLO 2 votes
      2%
    • No. Kickstarter is never a good sign 130 votes
      98%

(132 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    bFXxpv5V_400x400 (resized).png
    DL4 (resized).jpg
    DL1 (resized).jpg
    Dl2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

Chances are less than zero. Think the hobby/industry has learned their lesson on this model. Down with FOMO!

#52 2 years ago
    bFXxpv5V_400x400 (resized).pngbFXxpv5V_400x400 (resized).png
    #53 2 years ago

The Dragon's Lair pinball team should get together with the Ballarama team. They could pool their resources, and have (checks math) 0+0=0 chance of producing pinball games financed by Kickstarter.

#54 2 years ago

I will not be backing this project. But kickstarter is not a bad sign in my opinion.

It might be for pinball but it is certainly not bad overall. I have several excellent things I have gotten from them.

I do books, another friend backs board games there. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/256680/return-dark-tower

This one was a smash. Now bigger ticket like pinball? Seems like a high bar and cost, but we shall see.

#55 2 years ago

Does Kickstarter even allow this shit? They've cracked down on people stealing money and never delivering. Seems like this project would need 100K minimum. And that only builds 10 games.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

He has said he has an agreement with Digital Leisure.
    I'll just rip the band aide off and send them an email to ask them if they can say anything about it. Let's avoid the Predator situation where no one was willing to ask until years into the process...

The response I received:

Thanks for reaching out. The person you mention has reached out to Digital Leisure and Dragon’s Lair LLC (the licensing arm for all things Dragon’s Lair) but has yet to secure any license. They have simply presented their ideas for the project, but nothing firm has been agreed to.

I have forwarded your email to the DL LLC as they would be direct point of contact for such a project and will follow up with the individual posting to the Facebook group.

Thanks for the details.

Best Regards,
    Paul Gold
    Digital Leisure

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The response I received:
    Thanks for reaching out. The person you mention has reached out to Digital Leisure and Dragon’s Lair LLC (the licensing arm for all things Dragon’s Lair) but has yet to secure any license. They have simply presented their ideas for the project, but nothing firm has been agreed to.
    I have forwarded your email to the DL LLC as they would be direct point of contact for such a project and will follow up with the individual posting to the Facebook group.
    Thanks for the details.
    Best Regards,
    Paul Gold
    Digital Leisure

Oof.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The response I received:
    Thanks for the details.
    Best Regards,
    Paul Gold
    Digital Leisure

well there is the answer , predator part 2

#59 2 years ago

take it to AP and let them build it .... nicely done homebrew that I'm sure it will sell if ever built !

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The response I received:
    Thanks for the details.
    Best Regards,
    Paul Gold
    Digital Leisure

Exactly the impression I was getting when he was throwing the hissy fit over that one guys DL themed Vpin

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The response I received:
    Thanks for the details.
    Best Regards,
    Paul Gold
    Digital Leisure

With the above now brought to light:

If anyone, ANYONE here, still gives money to this - especially with the history of Predator WELL documented here - you're as dense as a bag of rocks and deserve to lose your money.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The response I received:
    Thanks for the details.
    Best Regards,
    Paul Gold
    Digital Leisure

YOU RUINED IT!!!

(insert the biggest sarcasm emoji possible here )

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

YOU RUINED IT!!!
    (insert the biggest sarcasm emoji possible here )

Haha, I can't believe people actually took that stance in the Predator fiasco.

#64 2 years ago

Hey now, they can still get the license...

Just need a kick starter for getting the license before a kick starter for building (lol)

Idk if it's still his intentions, but years ago he wondered if people would be interested in buying a DIY assembly kit. All the parts to build the game, and then best of luck following his instructions.

#65 2 years ago

Seems like he is taking a goofy approach… Why not complete the prototype he is building, take some high quality pics, good game play videos and then shop it around to see if a current pinball manufacturer is willing to invest in it, secure the license, and produce the game. This would generate some buzz, get people excited and he’d have a more realistic idea of how many people are actually interested. Feels like the cart is before the horse on this project. If he honestly thinks he’ll be able to secure the license, update the design for production and then produce them himself he is in for a nasty surprise.

#66 2 years ago

Oh boy.
    Good on ya'll for email the licensor.

Kickstarter is a joke. I did recently get a project I backed sent to me... but it was $100 project... not a 10000 project.

All of these "wanna be" pinball manufacturers need to get a clue.
    Kickstarter doesn't work for you business model.
    The community has learned from the mistakes of the past... Hopefully; in the future - the individual will learn.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The response I received:
    Thanks for the details.
    Best Regards,
    Paul Gold
    Digital Leisure

License? Piffle. Insignificant minor detail, let's Kickstarter this bitch and collect some free money!

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

let's Kickstarter this bitch

Go for it. I value my hard earned dollar.

#69 2 years ago

I would love to see him team up with AP for this. Trying to start up from scratch would be a nightmare.

#70 2 years ago

If they linked with American pinball I would be all over it… kickstarter… no chance

#72 2 years ago

Y’all got me thinking about kickstarter now…. In a different but related way.

The target for a kickstarter project has got to be about one to three hundred.

#75 2 years ago

Good move on y'all. Impressive what this community can do when effort is put forth

#76 2 years ago

Big mistake trying to get people's money before you had the rights. Probably wanted the Kickstarter to pay for the rights he couldn't afford. It's not like licensing works on consignment.

Flip side of the coin: I feel bad for the guy. Obviously put a lot of time into it, probably his big life dream...... now crushed and for nothing.

Most likely a dreamer...... and got too excited as his dream took form: wanted to show it to everyone for validation. Another big mistake.
    Life is brutal, and it's lessons are savage.

I hope he bounces back and can do something constructive with it. It's a beautiful dream.

#77 2 years ago

Even with $58M of insurance fraud backing I wouldn’t preorder this one.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Flip side of the coin: I feel bad for the guy. Obviously put a lot of time into it, probably his big life dream...... now crushed and for nothing.

I put a lot of work into my StarTrek Mirror universe project... but I knew from day one that I wouldn't be trying to go into production.
    That said; I wouldn't feel bad for him. He should have known that doing a kickstarter without a license was just asking for trouble.

#79 2 years ago

Quoted from Zitt:I put a lot of work into my StarTrek Mirror universe project... but I knew from day one that I wouldn't be trying to go into production.
    That said; I wouldn't feel bad for him. He should have known that doing a kickstarter without a license was just asking for trouble.

Star Trek Mirror Universe!!! Oh Yeah!!! Sick!!!

You should start a kickstarter!!

(Really though, what a great idea...... mirror universe is maybe the best part of Trek)

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

I hope he bounces back and can do something constructive with it. It's a beautiful dream.

Quoted from Zitt:

I put a lot of work into my StarTrek Mirror universe project... but I knew from day one that I wouldn't be trying to go into production.
    That said; I wouldn't feel bad for him.

Seriously, if they have a working, flipping homebrew pinball machine that they designed, built, and coded, (whether it’s 100% finished or not), that’s a remarkable achievement! Out of 1000 pinheads, how many would you guess have managed that? One or two? Hats all the way off to everyone who has done that!

Trying to Kickstarter that achievement into a career was an enormous mistake. At this point in pinball history it would be reasonable for anyone to assume it was a fully malicious swindle attempt… So whoever this was may have poisoned the well beyond repair. But if instead they had taken their game around to conventions to let people play it, it could have been a whole different story.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Big mistake trying to get people's money before you had the rights. Probably wanted the Kickstarter to pay for the rights he couldn't afford. It's not like licensing works on consignment.
    Most likely a dreamer...... and got too excited as his dream took form: wanted to show it to everyone for validation. Another big mistake.
    Life is brutal, and it's lessons are savage.

After the way he threw a big temper tantrum for "stealing his IP" at the guy who made the dragon's lair Vpin I don't feel bad for him at all. Don't get me wrong, the work he did was impressive, but he never owned the rights to Dragons Lair and to threaten a guy who made his own personal virtual pin like he was personally ripped off was just childish.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

At this point in pinball history it would be reasonable for anyone to assume it was a fully malicious swindle attempt…

That’s a bit too harsh. It’s usually well intentioned people who get in way over their head because they massively underestimate the work to take a single prototype into a mass production item and then actually making multiple units.

I feel a little bad about tipping off the rights holder, but this needed to be nipped in the bud.

He’s free to keep working on his own personal homebrew project. Maybe one day he’ll reach a point where he can work out a deal between the licensor and an established manufacturer.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

That’s a bit too harsh. It’s usually well intentioned people who get in way over their head because they massively underestimate the work to take a single prototype into a mass production item and then actually making multiple units.
    I feel a little bad about tipping off the rights holder, but this needed to be nipped in the bud.
    He’s free to keep working on his own personal homebrew project. Maybe one day he’ll reach a point where he can work out a deal between the licensor and an established manufacturer.

If anything, this thread has shown there is interest, even from an audience that has been burned many times by other parties.

If the motivation is there, and the game is good enough, with the right backing it's very possible Dragons Lair could still see production. It just needs to get on the right radar with a group that has the funding, experience, and manpower to make it happen.

-Hans

#84 2 years ago

I’m in!

But only if it runs on Laserdisc!

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I’m in!
    But only if it runs on Laserdisc!

The vibration dampening/mounting system is an additional $500

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

That’s a bit too harsh.

I think I worded my thoughts poorly there. I didn’t mean it to sound like an accusation. It seems far more likely that the person is naive than malicious.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The vibration dampening/mounting system is an additional $500

and how much for an GOOD working LD player?

#88 2 years ago

Stern should snag the license for it.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Stern should snag the license for it.

Oh hell no!!! It would be another home pin mess like the Heavy Metal.

#90 2 years ago

My experience with Dragon’s Lair was playing it 10 times and I could rarely time my move correctly and was resolved to watch others. But a dozen years ago a guy I knew collected arcades and he was into disk playing systems. He loved Dragon’s Lair and he had 2 at home. Each arcade came 1 disk. IIRC there were multiple disks produced. DL might have had 20’ish of them and he’d acquired 3 others.
    Anybody have access to one who can check or with history that remembers and could fact check?

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

My experience with Dragon’s Lair was playing it 10 times and I could rarely time my move correctly and was resolved to watch others.

Yeah, Dragon's Lair was a horrible "game". It basically existed to deceive gamers into putting in 50 cents cuz it looked so cool. Kids didn't know what a laserdisc was - they just saw real feature animation in an arcade game and HAD to play it. We soon realized you couldn't actually play it, and went back to Rampage, Joust, and Donkey Kong.

I thought it was so funny & out of touch when Don Bluth said something like "Players can finally control Dirk the Daring in real time" when Dragon's Lair 3D for Xbox came out...I was like - bro, we've been controlling video game characters in real time since BEFORE Dragon's Lair...you haven't given us some amazing new gaming gift we haven't had for decades already.

#92 2 years ago

Y’all just hoping for some Daphne nips

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, Dragon's Lair was a horrible "game". It basically existed to deceive gamers into putting in 50 cents cuz it looked so cool. Kids didn't know what a laserdisc was - they just saw real feature animation in an arcade game and HAD to play it. We soon realized you couldn't actually play it, and went back to Rampage, Joust, and Donkey Kong.
    I thought it was so funny & out of touch when Don Bluth said something like "Players can finally control Dirk the Daring in real time" when Dragon's Lair 3D for Xbox came out...I was like - bro, we've been controlling video game characters in real time since BEFORE Dragon's Lair...you haven't given us some amazing new gaming gift we haven't had for decades already.

I used to collect and restore arcade games many years ago. People would come over with their kids, and kids NEVER understood Dragon's Lair. They didn't have that disconnect we did as kids between the visual presentation and the technological capability. To them it was just broken and they'd move on to games that "worked."

It was weird to see. Never saw a single kid take to Dragon's Lair or Cliff Hanger.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I used to collect and restore arcade games many years ago. People would come over with their kids, and kids NEVER understood Dragon's Lair. They didn't have that disconnect we did as kids between the visual presentation and the technological capability. To them it was just broken and they'd move on to games that "worked."
    It was weird to see. Never saw a single kid take to Dragon's Lair or Cliff Hanger.

It had attract mode magic that pulled people in but it was crap. It got a couple quarters out of me back in the day but that was it.

#96 1 year ago

I never took to a single other laser disc game, but I played a shit ton of Dragon’s Lair II (at Copper Cue in Wichita, KS, 5 blocks from my house!) It forever altered the first movement of Beethoven’s 5th symphony. To this day I hear the breaking glass and the yowling cat.

Cool concept, but not great games. They were borderline redemption games where the reward was a clip instead of tickets or a rubber duck. Still, it was fun as a 12yo to have a bunch of the game memorized and have people gather around to watch me play it.

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

When I was a kid, it was the same exact thing. You could control Pac-Man. You could control Mario. Dirk just takes your 50 cents, looks pretty, and dies.

I did arcade games before pinball…never wanted a laser game. If I wanna watch Dragons Lair or Space Ace animation, the DVD or Blu-Rays are fine.

#98 1 year ago

In hind sight nearly forty years into the future, we realize now that it may not have been the greatest video game and its a limited. Its easy to look at anything this way though but remember... Back then it was awesome and ground breaking to control a cartoon character in a video game. Laser disc technology was new and it allowed the team to use it to their advantage of. It was significantly different that took the arcades by storm and they had to put monitors on top so crowds could watch. It got people in the arcade and generated $$$ which is what ops wanted. It was featured on "That's Incredible" and there's one on display in the Smithsonian in DC. I know its no Pac Man or Robotron but I still love to play again now and then.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Its easy to look at anything this way though but remember... Back then it was awesome and ground breaking to control a cartoon character in a video game.

I was a kid when it came out, so I remember exactly how it was perceived from a 6 or 7 year old’s point of view. It looked & sounded amazing…and then we realized you COULDN’T control the cartoon character. We all thought it was broken & never touched it again. We’d watch the teenagers or adults play it & just enjoyed the animation.

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

We all thought it was broken & never touched it again.

I think it's safe to say that wasn't everyone's reaction. The game is still beloved by people even if it was more a novelty than a game. I remember playing it as a kid and being amazed by the technology, even though it was probably 8-10 years old before I ever saw it. It used to sit next to mortal kombat 2 at my local video store and I'd play them both until I was out of quarters.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-you-back-the-kickstarter-of-the-upcoming-dragon-s-lair-pin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.