• Not in a million years! 21 votes
    19%
  • Guaranteed! 66 votes
    59%
  • WTF! Way too soon! 24 votes
    22%

(111 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

98166394-6881-448B-AC9E-1B1856A33A5E (resized).jpeg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 months ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Its popular now that its no longer available and people like me who were waiting for a used one on the cheap scrambled for one of the last remaining musical chairs.
More likely than not- production stopped because demand was low so they cut off the reorders of parts and prepared the line for Wonka and "glitter WoZ."

Nope. "Glitter WOZ" (not the worst name BTW) is and always was going to be on the back line so irrelevant to the main line production setup or schedule. The main line is being prepped for Wonka while the Pirates run is finishing up. The preparations for Wonka would have been going on alongside Pirates running if Pirates needed more days on the line so that would most likely not have been too big of an issue. There was ample time remaining if they had wanted to continue running Pirates for a bit longer. Wonka prototypes were built in the Midwest office for the most part so neither playfield line was tied up for that whatsoever. YBR WOZ is going along for a little while more but that interferes with nothing as I said.

#52 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Nope. "Glitter WOZ" (not the worst name BTW) is and always was going to be on the back line so irrelevant to the main line production setup or schedule. The main line is being prepped for Wonka while the Pirates run is finishing up. The preparations for Wonka would have been going on alongside Pirates running if Pirates needed more days on the line so that would most likely not have been too big of an issue. There was ample time remaining if they had wanted to continue running Pirates for a bit longer. Wonka prototypes were built in the Midwest office for the most part so neither playfield line was tied up for that whatsoever. YBR WOZ is going along for a little while more but that interferes with nothing as I said.

HEY! Stop spreading facts and reality! This thread is for assumption, opinion, and theory. lol For the thread topic, it seems irrelevant which game is more popular since pinball (to most) isn't a popularity contest in general. Is the game more fun, a better value, a more market interesting license, a better more complete game, etc are the only ways to really compare Long term. At this point for Me, while I played both and own (purchased) both POTC is by far a more complete and immersive package no contest. In my opinion the only votes saying WW is a better complete game will be from those that do not own a POTC. Just an opinion. Once you have and spend time with Pirates its hard to describe just how perfect this design and game is.

#53 6 months ago

I haven't been on pinside for years like some, but in the short time I've been here one thing I have noticed is this...

No one around here has any patience, when a new game comes out, that's it. If you want the best tasting steak you marinate it for an entire day, or age it for even longer. You're hungry right now okay throw it on the grill.

You have to give a pinball game some time to breath. There is a lot of things that are going to happen here such as mods that come out to enhance the game. Nothing is out for Wonka and I can see a lot of holes in the detail, those will get filled quickly by mods.

Everyone gets bored of games which is why they look to trade for new ones. But some games you just never trade, your favs right? You're not giving Wonka anytime to see what it will ultimately become.

I think Pirates with all its problems and success will go down as the greatest pinball game ever built, and Stern will also point to it as a reason you don't build pinball games like that ever again. The cost to build the game had to be enormous, the cost to keep it running even higher. Now you've seen JJP take one of the most iconic themes, turn it into a standard body, and they lowered the price. Who knows if you will ever see a wide body again from JJP. They need to make money. Stern hasn't made any wide bodies lately, and neither is anyone else.

What if Pirates is the last wide body ever? Could be?

See that would change the narrative drastically.

I like Wonka but nothing is going to top POTC, especially after seeing how little Stern put into Black Knight, or American Pinball un-willing to license something, and Chicago gaming stuck on re-makes. Who's going to top POTC? Probably only JJP but only if they get a good theme, and make another Wide Body.

So my initial answer would be NO, but again we have to wait and see what all everyone comes up with to enhance the game.

The Mod Couple really blew up the mods for Pirates, making the game in my opinion nearly untouchable. Monster Bash can be the #1 game, or MM, or whatever, but everyone knows deep down no pinball game has ever been created on the level of POTC.

I think the perfect example is TNA, everyone on this site was crawling over one another for the game... I predicted give it a year and that game will be selling for half of new price. That game in my opinion doesn't have a long shelf life, but when it was new it had a lot of buzz. Give a game some room and you'll find out really quick where it sits in the bigger scheme of things. Aerosmith, I think has settled in as what it is a pretty basic game worth about 4500 bucks. Batman 66 took a beating out of the box, but now is being considered one of the best games ever thanks to many code updates.

Hopefully you see my point, between mods, code updates, and the theme itself ultimately determine where the game sits. The Hobbit was hot now its like a 6000 game, WOZ thru all of its ups and downs is now considered probably the single game that holds its value the best. We saw Monster Bashe values destroyed by the remake, same will happen to CC.

Some games just take forever to finally settle! Alien right now is super hot, a few months ago not so much, but in the end I think that game will come crashing back to earth but we'll see right? Nothing is determined in a year much less Wonka came out a couple days ago.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 399.95
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 18.95
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside