(Topic ID: 240749)

Will we see a better toy/feature than the castle on MM?

By Rockytop

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rockytop
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gilligans_Island_Flipper_Rampe_links_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

The hype of Wonka had my imagination going and I thought we might see something really special toy/feature wise.

Overall, I'm not disappointed at all in the game...I'll be getting an LE, but it had me thinking that in 21 years no one has topped the castle in MM toy/feature wise in my opinion.

I know that's subjective, but I bet most people would agree. There have been incredible games in the last 21 years and lots of cool stuff for sure though.

Since Brian Eddy is back in the business, maybe he'll be the one to out do himself, but Stern isn't exactly known for their complicated mechanical features. If he gets Jaws, I would love to see him hit a home run with something really cool.

#2 5 years ago

The "hit a button to rotate and reveal a hole" feature for Wonka is decent but not a great "toy" like they want it to be. I agree that the MM castle is darn awesome and I can't really find any other toy that can top that to current date; the feeling to lower the drawbridge, raise the gate and then enter and destroy castle is really fun.

I find the newer games kind of lacking in imagination, its not really any new inventions going on, mostly rehashing old mechanisms. I give Dialed In the credit for using a mobile phone in the game, but obviously that wasn't even possible in the 80/90's.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I find the newer games kind of lacking in imagination, its not really any new inventions going on, mostly rehashing old mechanisms. I give Dialed In the credit for using a mobile phone in the game, but obviously that wasn't even possible in the 80/90's.

Ducktales or Gravity Falls pin - would require very little "imagination" on their part. So sometimes i'm saying the theme limits things. I'm honestly not sure why someone would pick Wonka?? Nothing against it but I guess you could say the same thing about WOZ. Both are colorful, but I don't get jazzed thinking about either. The movies themselves weren't exciting. They weren't bad, but don't think anyone ever said "i'm excited to watch wonka or woz".

The best themes are the unlicensed ones. People have no pre-conceptions - they can take the game for what it is and the designers can be as crazy or restrained as they want.

#4 5 years ago

While not as great as the castle, I do love the ball eating T-Rex on Jurassic Park, as I think it took some creative engineering to implement. I also enjoy his side-to-side rotation taunting throughout gameplay.

#5 5 years ago

I think the pirate ship upper playfield on JJPOTC is amazing. It rocks back and forth speed varies on what is happening in the game. Raise sails, load cannon, and fires. Pretty sweet and it integrates the theme perfectly. Some hate the falling overboard part, but I think it fits and keeps it a challenge.

#6 5 years ago

Doesn't necessarily top the castle, but the hammer on the premium/le Metallica was pretty cool the first time I saw it.

#7 5 years ago

My favorite toy in all of pinball is still the pirate ship on Sterns POTC. Rocks back and forth and sinks into the playfield. Such a creative design.

#8 5 years ago

I think part of the reason is that the same designers are involved. Same guys = same ideas. Some new blood with NO pin design experience would be beneficial. One of the downsides of experience is that it also hinders your ability to think outside the box.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I think part of the reason is that the same designers are involved. Same guys = same ideas. Some new blood with NO pin design experience would be beneficial. One of the downsides of experience is that it also hinders your ability to think outside the box.

Good point. I’ve always believed that if you took the brightest minds we have and applied them to the issues in different disciplines then we would solve many of our challenges. Always a good thing to have a fresh perspective on something where the “experts” are at a standstill.

#10 5 years ago

Nothing in my collection beats MM castle.. best of the best.

#11 5 years ago

The trunk in TOM is pretty snazzy as well.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

The hype of Wonka had my imagination going and I thought we might see something really special toy/feature wise.
Overall, I'm not disappointed at all in the game...I'll be getting an LE, but it had me thinking that in 21 years no one has topped the castle in MM toy/feature wise in my opinion.
I know that's subjective, but I bet most people would agree. There have been incredible games in the last 21 years and lots of cool stuff for sure though.
Since Brian Eddy is back in the business, maybe he'll be the one to out do himself, but Stern isn't exactly known for their complicated mechanical features. If he gets Jaws, I would love to see him hit a home run with something really cool.

Yeah, Pats game looks great, Art and shots on point , Audio and code, not, well not yet anyway
I was kinda imagining the paddle boat and chocolate river perhaps a Subway with wild LED action and incredible art being the main feature.
Gobstopper makes sense of course.

Deeproot better come up with something Radical if they wish to go head to head with Stern and JJP .

I like what Stern is doing with Laser cut ramps and chaser lighting.
The Knight is more interactive than the pretty gobstopper.

I can't wait to see what Mr Eddy has up his sleave,
The feature does not need to be complicated, just engaging !

Build quality needs to be paramount and prices need to fall or at least stabilize.

Awesome time for pinball.

#13 5 years ago

It's almost catch 22 territory. If companies start putting Rube Goldberg devices in these machines, the cost will just be astronomical. They can only get so fancy and stay within a reasonable BOM.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

however, these mechanical toys just aren't a thing anymore either. I've brought pinball assemblies to work and showed it to the mechanical engineers.. they all look at it and scratch their heads... it looks incredibly expensive to them. think the world has moved on from elaborate clockwork parts and solenoids. so finding new blood would be hard when you can make a ton more $$$ making easier to design things like biotech

#15 5 years ago

TOYS!

#16 5 years ago

I love the MM castle, but THING is still the real king of pinball toys.

I’d play Addams over and over just to see that hand come out and grab the ball. Amazing.

#17 5 years ago

I like everything pinball, it's all great!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

My favorite toy in all of pinball is still the pirate ship on Sterns POTC. Rocks back and forth and sinks into the playfield. Such a creative design.

Was going to say PotC ship as well. It’s not as complex as MM castle but to me Castle is so big that it blocks a lot of the view of the PF. Ship is medium size and allows room for spinning disc and treasure chest toys.

#19 5 years ago

#20 5 years ago

I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen something like the main feature in Dr. Who in a game. Nascar kind of had something like that.

#21 5 years ago

The new BKSOR knight mechanism is pretty cool not as good as the MM castle but it's still cool.

#22 5 years ago

Always though the WipeOut ski lift mechanism was innovative

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I love the MM castle, but THING is still the real king of pinball toys.
I’d play Addams over and over just to see that hand come out and grab the ball. Amazing.

It was / is cool but I think the magic wand in Pinball Magic is better than THING, having the ball actually "float" down the wand is pretty cool, even cooler when you drop it with the flipper buttons. With regards to use of magnets in a game I'm not sure anything beats that.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Always though the WipeOut ski lift mechanism was innovative

I legit love WipeOut, such a fun game.

#25 5 years ago

We will see toys like that again as soon as williams reopens it doors. They had the most RnD cash to make this stuff. Nowadays is a different kettle of fish.
Sigh. I miss the 90's
not saying the new stuff is not cool. But when you consider how well the older titles are still holding up seems like W/B is still the gold standard in awesome games.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It was / is cool but I think the magic wand in Pinball Magic is better than THING, having the ball actually "float" down the wand is pretty cool, even cooler when you drop it with the flipper buttons. With regards to use of magnets in a game I'm not sure anything beats that.

Is there a video of this anywhere? I've never seen the wand do it's magic.

#27 5 years ago

Ringmaster in CV, I feel, is as good.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Come buy mine and you can experience it everyday!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Quality isn't great but you can see the ball float down for the trunk lock at 3:50 in this video:

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I legit love WipeOut, such a fun game.

It’s an underrated gem, man!

#31 5 years ago

Budget and reliability are constraining factors.

I just want good games that are fun and don’t break.

Wonka a huge step in the right direction.

#32 5 years ago

No ! You can't beat MM Castle, period !

#33 5 years ago

Rudy in Funhouse is what has impressed me the most and it was designed almost 30 years ago! Between the eyes that follow the ball, the mouth that syncs so well with his vocalizations, the great snoring effect with the lips trembling, and the ability to interact with the head via hitting it or putting the ball in the mouth for multiball or extra points, I would argue that no other toy has been so aesthetically designed while still being intimately integrated into game play. Seeing Rudy "throw up" the ball is what convinced me that I had to own this machine.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

It's almost catch 22 territory. If companies start putting Rube Goldberg devices in these machines, the cost will just be astronomical. They can only get so fancy and stay within a reasonable BOM.

This is the kind of talk that shuts down innovation in this hobby.

MM does not have a Rube Goldberg level of complexity. A drawbridge and gate that opens, some switches and a simple exploding castle mech could be engineered today and is not from some alternate universe where magical mechs were once built. We have not lost this technology after some apocalyptic world event. Yet, I agree, the castle is the best example of mechanical theme integration.

That something like the MM castle hardware would make the BOM immediately astronomical today and therefore somehow impossible on machines that are going up a thousand per year on average lately is ridiculous. The fact that MMr was released in fact negates your point completley.

Let’s show some imagination and continue to believe that more is possible this century which I think is part of the OPs point.

#35 5 years ago

I think bsd with the ball going across the field was pretty cool and innovative. Even still today. One of my favorite games for sure.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Rudy in Funhouse is what has impressed me the most and it was designed almost 30 years ago! Between the eyes that follow the ball, the mouth that syncs so well with his vocalizations, the great snoring effect with the lips trembling, and the ability to interact with the head via hitting it or putting the ball in the mouth for multiball or extra points, I would argue that no other toy has been so aesthetically designed while still being intimately integrated into game play. Seeing Rudy "throw up" the ball is what convinced me that I had to own this machine.

Agreed. Rudy is the GOAT!

#37 5 years ago

Mm is probably the best looking interactive toy in pinball. Drawbridge, portcullis, moat and wall. And shaking towers. And it looks like an actual castle

However Jjp pirates ship is cool too. And probably the best modern era toy/feature so far.

Rocks and changes speed, cannon, spinners, targets, flippers, vuk

But only kind of resembles part of a ship.

If you painted it a completely different color. You wouldn't know what it was.

Mm it would still be a colored castle.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This was my thought too...coupled with the levitating ball and the skill shot into the top hat, PM is one of the most creative use of toys that fits within the theme. Honorable mention for magnet play, is Mist in BSD.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

This was my thought too...coupled with the levitating ball and the skill shot into the top hat, PM is one of the most creative use of toys that fits within the theme. Honorable mention for magnet play, is Mist in BSD.

The technical tricks in PM are awesome... but the game is sooo not fun to play with the linear rules.... Wish it had different code... Probably would still own it.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Doesn't necessarily top the castle, but the hammer on the premium/le Metallica was pretty cool the first time I saw it.

I LOVE the MET hammer! In addition to the ball being visually "pounded" below the playfield, the overall effect - enhanced by audio, shaker motor, and (now) updated code to turn the playfield GI red - is fantastic!

I'll take this over the MM castle toy. But then again, I'd take MET over MM any day too.

#41 5 years ago

I agree the MM castle and TS are great.

I also think CP has some unique features not seen on other games. Jump rope, speed bag, launching the ball off of ramps to hit a bash toy, etc..

#42 5 years ago

The castle is nice, but top?

Wand on Pinball Magic or even the stage with the levitating ball
Ring in LOTR
Hammer on MET LE
Ship on Stern POTC

There are a lot of other toys in games that simply have a bigger wow factor than the Castle.

#43 5 years ago

I wonder if we'll ever see a game loaded like TSPP again.? I was kind of hoping wonka was going to have that kind of level of interactive things on the playfield.

#44 5 years ago

While not a toy, I love shooting the cannon in T2.

#45 5 years ago

Might get a ball eating T-Rex again if Brian Eddy's really doing Jurassic World.

#46 5 years ago

Cousin came over with her Fiancé..

They played SWLE, GOTGLE, D.I, Munsters LE. The game that they really like the most was Medieval Madness and CFTBL..
old school classics, simple rules and FUN COOL toys. MM castle, AFM saucer and Creature hologram are my favourites.
THING, book case and THING Flipper also way cool

#47 5 years ago

Wait 'til you see the Indominus Rex on Jurassic World.

#48 5 years ago

I always liked a properly working originally planned deadworld ball lock and release on JD. With its original design, I think its a really cool toy.

Technically I suppose its a mod. But a mod to get it back to its original function.

#49 5 years ago

Herman bash toy on Munsters.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Herman bash toy on Munsters.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-we-see-a-better-toy-feature-than-the-castle-on-mm-?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.