(Topic ID: 240749)

Will we see a better toy/feature than the castle on MM?

By Rockytop

34 days ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by Rockytop
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Gilligans_Island_Flipper_Rampe_links_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 32 days ago

A little biased here, but attacking and destroying the mothership on AFM is what originally got me interested in pinball - which was almost 25 years ago.

I think we would all agree that fun and innovative toys/features are one of the keys to bring new kids/adults into the hobby.

#52 32 days ago

I love the dual cannons in Big Guns that actually launches the ball into the air into another target.

#53 32 days ago

There are quite a few good toys, but the 90s certainly had some of the best. The castle on MM and t-rex on JP are probably two of my favorites. I also really like the battlefield on TS. How is the bowling ally on TBL? That looked as if it could have had potential as one of the best toys, but I haven't had much of a chance to play it.

#54 32 days ago

Stern POTC

Rocking ship,
moving sails when hit,
Dropping sails when sinking into the playfield exposing the kraken shot
And when batteling Davy jones sinking/coming up /sinking
coming up etc.

Epic underrated toy

And in combination whit the compas disk and opening, beating heart chest realy top 10 toys

Love my JP trex too

#55 32 days ago

The last real innovator in pinball for me died a few years ago. Someone who was willing to take chances on changing the playfield mid game, but the implementation of the rules around it were not ready for the paradigm shift that BOP brought to the table. Python went places in the third dimension that Pat L. used to dream of going until reality and BOM’s finally squashed all the fun out of both of them. Pinball Circus was an interesting take on 3D pinball, one Pat tried his hand at in Banzi Run. And his machines since have tried to capture that same magic while being dogged by the realities of cost, development, and now, demanding production schedules, something we havent seen since the 90’s, really.

And I think the comment on WMS and them having R&D budget in the 90’s while B/W was having their hey day was true, but only from the standpoint that what they were developing for pinball was not necessarilly non-tranferable to other gaming machines, redemption, slots, video, gambling devices, etc... so a lot of that money was not thrown at pinball, but at “gaming electronics” and pinball just rode that wave as WMS became the leader in site based electronic gaming.

With the advent of a LOT of people having a LOT of discretionary cash to be spending and our increasing need for personal isolation from those who annoy us, does it surprise us pinball in the home is becoming more of a “thing” in this industry/hobby? The trend of purchasing for HUO has made a lot of us owners AND end users, where in the past this industry was more a career for introverts and people who really don’t like interacting with others, tend to like being their own boss, and never have to face their customers directly most of the time.

I can remember seeing my operators maybe once in a blue moon back in the day, and you never got anything out of the location owner but a grunt, a shrug, and if you pressed, maybe a phone number that would never pick up when you called.

And they never asked us “what do you want to see in a pinball machine?”, they just bought the latest title, put it on site and prayed it earned, swapped it out to every location on their route until it did, and ditched that bad boy if it didn’t turn a profit in 6 months to a year.

Now, here we are on Pinside, arguing over Ommpah Loompas, Flails, shields, and gobble holes, beer steins, ball-less monkeys, and whether line drawn artwork or dropped P-shop artwork is “good enough to match the curtains downstairs” or not.

Does anyone remember when the first place you saw a new title was actually at the arcade, bar, bowling alley, or roller rink? And your only big question was how many games you got for a quarter? I kind of miss those days.

#56 32 days ago

Well The Big Lebowski had that feel, but that one's dead.

I really think Houdini has a lot of that "mechanical toy magic" (with it's center Stage, Catapult and Molded Decoration) Williams games had.

Willy Wonka, while not having played it, falls a bit flat in that area.
I mean, that MM Castle is a huge molded toy and it's kinda obvious what the player has to do.
JJP Pirates comes close with the ships...

Yes I hope for Deeproot. I also hope for JPop (oh I can see the downvotes coming).
Robert Müller seems to prefer Williams games, so I really hope we will get something like the old days again.
As for JPops, Magic Girls is a broken mess, but everything around it is marvelous. And while it is correct that it is not him drawing, making the callouts, composing the music etc. he just is a skilled art director. (I love the art, the music, the callouts, the lightshow... I love the big backglass without display, wich went in the game itself.) And imagine that huge center make really would have worked, levitating the Ball in the air and then lets it curl down the giant ramp... That thing was impressive even while broken.

#57 32 days ago

Certainly not the best toy/feature ever, but the cannon on ACDC is the SHIT (Simplest Human Interactive Toy), that offers some of the most fun and intense moments in pinball

#58 32 days ago

I'll keep this short...

No.

#59 32 days ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

I'll keep this short...
No.

Hope dies last...

#60 32 days ago

MSF - Frankenstein throwing the pinball down the playfield.

#61 32 days ago

I hope in 5 years we have this kind of discussion and there's lots of new toys/features we're debating as the GOAT.

#62 32 days ago

GI rotating island with multiple pathways.

Gilligans_Island_Flipper_Rampe_links_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg
#63 32 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Well The Big Lebowski had that feel, but that one's dead.
I really think Houdini has a lot of that "mechanical toy magic" (with it's center Stage, Catapult and Molded Decoration) Williams games had.
Willy Wonka, while not having played it, falls a bit flat in that area.
I mean, that MM Castle is a huge molded toy and it's kinda obvious what the player has to do.
JJP Pirates comes close with the ships...
Yes I hope for Deeproot. I also hope for JPop (oh I can see the downvotes coming).
Robert Müller seems to prefer Williams games, so I really hope we will get something like the old days again.
As for JPops, Magic Girls is a broken mess, but everything around it is marvelous. And while it is correct that it is not him drawing, making the callouts, composing the music etc. he just is a skilled art director. (I love the art, the music, the callouts, the lightshow... I love the big backglass without display, wich went in the game itself.) And imagine that huge center make really would have worked, levitating the Ball in the air and then lets it curl down the giant ramp... That thing was impressive even while broken.

I do think the Houdini catapult sequence is really cool.

#64 32 days ago
Quoted from dung:

The castle is nice, but top?
Wand on Pinball Magic or even the stage with the levitating ball
Ring in LOTR
Hammer on MET LE
Ship on Stern POTC
There are a lot of other toys in games that simply have a bigger wow factor than the Castle.

Someday when you try MM for the first time you’ll notice that we are not just talking about the exploding castle but the working drawbridge, gate, moat, wall shot and how they all interact during play.

#65 32 days ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I do think the Houdini catapult sequence is really cool.

It is but the stage is more relevant for the theme, that's why I mentioned both.

I played it and liked Houdini a lot,... even without the ctapult hitting sadly. :-/

#66 32 days ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

The hype of Wonka had my imagination going and I thought we might see something really special toy/feature wise.
Overall, I'm not disappointed at all in the game...I'll be getting an LE, but it had me thinking that in 21 years no one has topped the castle in MM toy/feature wise in my opinion.
I know that's subjective, but I bet most people would agree. There have been incredible games in the last 21 years and lots of cool stuff for sure though.
Since Brian Eddy is back in the business, maybe he'll be the one to out do himself, but Stern isn't exactly known for their complicated mechanical features. If he gets Jaws, I would love to see him hit a home run with something really cool.

Sinking Orca boat, like 2008 POTC. how about a shark fin that comes up via Drac-trac MB style, or Big Buck Hunter.

#67 32 days ago

Ship in Stern POTC
Crane in BDK
Mist magnet in BSD

#68 32 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Certainly not the best toy/feature ever, but the cannon on ACDC is the SHIT (Simplest Human Interactive Toy), that offers some of the most fun and intense moments in pinball

I have ACDC and it's cool, but ST:TNG was earlier with twice as many.

#69 32 days ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen something like the main feature in Dr. Who in a game. Nascar kind of had something like that.

So I kind of have an idea to build my own version of Kiss as I think Stern missed the mark.....thinking of Dr. Who as a base game....drums that rise have always been in Kiss shows.....and a few other ideas I have to go with it......it’s just an idea but one day I would like to build it....to make the Kiss game that should have been made in the first place.

But yeah...there has been innovation but I can’t play animations....need more interactive toys besides bash toys...things that add strategy to a game....more stealing ball locks from other players.....but let’s not make the rules so complicated...keep it intuitive so anyone can figure out what to shoot and when to shoot it. So many things that can be done but aren’t or haven’t. how about something you DONT want to hit, have it steal your ball and end your turn...but allows you to win it back next ball. Endless ideas are out there.

#70 32 days ago
Quoted from dung:

The castle is nice, but top?
Wand on Pinball Magic or even the stage with the levitating ball
Ring in LOTR
Hammer on MET LE
Ship on Stern POTC
There are a lot of other toys in games that simply have a bigger wow factor than the Castle.

THANK YOU!!

#71 32 days ago

Lots of posts to read thru but I've said it before and will always say, best toy in pinball hands down is Rudy. He taunts you. Moves his eyes to follow the ball. Smash his mouth. Eats a ball. Rudy is God!!

#72 32 days ago

MM Castle a close second behind Rudy.

Don’t expect to see anything as innovative as either again but would love to see Pat design THE CLAW mechanism for Toy Story.

#73 32 days ago

I like the battle the power with magnets upper area play field on Twilight Zone, not the best but still fun. Also like the different things especially the boxer in Champion Pub and roll up rug and bowling alley in Big Lebowski. Maybe not the biggest toys but like these ideas and wish Maiden had some toys or more toys besides just shots.

#74 32 days ago

Jurassic Park...t-rex
Champion Pub...Everyrhing
Addams family...thing
JJPPOTC...ship

The Big Lebowski is awesome as well

#75 32 days ago

Sorry not sorry but I still love beating the hell out of Kenny

#76 32 days ago

I think a lot of people just claim MM castle the best because of it's size. It's a super cool toy though and definitely one of the best, but there are a lot of other really good ones though.

MET hammer
AS Trunk
ACDC bell and Cannon (mainly due to incredibly good coding)
Stern ST Ship (drop target, magnet, kickback, bouncing ship, crashing ship)
SW Hyperloop
GB Subway
GI turn table
BM66 & DK crane
CV Ringmaster
TOM Trunk
PM Wand
JP T-Rex
MB Frank
AFM Ship area (coded incredibly)
TS Diverters and upper playfield
LOTR the ring

#77 32 days ago

Biggest reason you don't see things that cool is that Stern refuses to build any below-playfield troughs so toys can't really "swallow" things anymore. Just one more thing costed out, even on $9K games.

#78 32 days ago

The castle is super awesome, no question. Honorable considerations in addition to Rudy from Funhouse and Thing from Addams Family:

1. Groot in GOTG - spitting out the multiball is just awesome
2. Xenomorph jaw capture in Alien
3. Metallica -electrocuting the dude in the electric chair

I'd still hold out hope that we get a Jaws pinball with the original three actors (will never happen), and a shark that pops up to eat the ball, or a Beetlejuice game with a sandworm that comes out to eat the ball (also not going to happen).

#79 32 days ago

I always liked the helicopter in Rescue 911. Not a great game but the copter is cool. But still doesn't beat the MM castle.

#80 31 days ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I think a lot of people just claim MM castle the best because of it's size. It's a super cool toy though and definitely one of the best, but there are a lot of other really good ones though.
MET hammer
AS Trunk
ACDC bell and Cannon (mainly due to incredibly good coding)
Stern ST Ship (drop target, magnet, kickback, bouncing ship, crashing ship)
SW Hyperloop
GB Subway
GI turn table
BM66 & DK crane
CV Ringmaster
TOM Trunk
PM Wand
JP T-Rex
MB Frank
AFM Ship area (coded incredibly)
TS Diverters and upper playfield
LOTR the ring

I think all those toys/features are really cool...I just think the castle is better with the moat, the ball lock shot, the drawbridge, the gate, the crashing towers.

It's kind of crazy that after 22 years (or more if you count Rudy as the GOAT), since we've had something clearly one up it...if there even is such a thing in a subjective discussion as this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 3.70
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95
$ 89.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 399.95
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, TX
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside