(Topic ID: 96792)

Will we ever see repro Gottlieb EM playfields?

By swampfire

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by greatwichjohn
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2013-07-01 16.53.54.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Googling "gottlieb playfield" led me to this: http://www.mondialgroup.com/gottlieb.htm

Ron and Nancy Webb and Shay do GREAT work, but I don't think they do playfields. That just leaves CPR and Great Pinball. EMs are typically low-dollar games, but I recently heard of a C37 playfield going for well over $1000. So the demand is there for top titles. Clearcoat would NOT be needed; I assume most of us EM collectors would want to wax and roll.

If you have an EM that you'd pay over $500 to buy a new playfield for, please link it above.

#2 4 years ago

The one on the right was done by Wade Krause. I think he may have done 20 or so for Fast/Quick Draw last year. That is the next one in my queue. Although not a GTB, Star Gazer is next up whenever that one arrives...

2013-07-01 16.53.54.jpg

#3 4 years ago

Cool! I've email Wade about Fast Draw, and bookmarked http://pinballplayfields.wordpress.com/.

#4 4 years ago

Isn't someone doing Joker Poker?

#5 4 years ago
#6 4 years ago

Thanks Stu! I'll be on the lookout for an EM Joker Poker. Love the backglass on that game!

#7 4 years ago

CPR's not doing the JP EM version though, are they?
Pic looks like the SS version.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

9200ish units vs 820 units ... although were the playfields physically different?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

It is definitely the Solid State version.

#10 4 years ago

It is the SS version we are making....not enough JP EM's left out there in the wild for us to justify an EM version as we need to be able to sell about 125 of them & I know we would never even come close to selling that many of the EM version.

#11 4 years ago

I thought they were the same PF, my mistake.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Googling "gottlieb playfield" led me to this: http://www.mondialgroup.com/gottlieb.htm
Ron and Nancy Webb and Shay do GREAT work, but I don't think they do playfields. That just leaves CPR and Great Pinball. EMs are typically low-dollar games, but I recently heard of a C37 playfield going for well over $1000. So the demand is there for top titles. Clearcoat would NOT be needed; I assume most of us EM collectors would want to wax and roll.
If you have an EM that you'd pay over $500 to buy a new playfield for, please link it above.

Not sure re clear coat as Gottlieb would certainly do it now if they were still in business.

Sing Along and El Dorado have been made - Wade again.

#13 4 years ago

Wade remade Kings and Queens, I believe he's planning another run of them if anyone wants to place an order. He also did Knock Out a while back. When I went down to pick up my SA playfield, he mentioned doing a few others but I can't post them, don't want to get anyone's hopes up and flood him with calls or emails. Good things are coming.

Steve

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Not sure re clear coat as Gottlieb would certainly do it now if they were still in business.
Sing Along and El Dorado have been made - Wade again.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Wade remade Kings and Queens, I believe he's planning another run of them if anyone wants to place an order. He also did Knock Out a while back. When I went down to pick up my SA playfield, he mentioned doing a few others but I can't post them, don't want to get anyone's hopes up and flood him with calls or emails. Good things are coming.
Steve

I'm assuming Wade does this with Gottliebs permission some how? Does anyone know care to elaborate?

#15 4 years ago

Yes, some are even sold on PBR. Y'all sign up for K&Q so it for sure gets made!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yeah, that's an interesting discussion in itself. I wouldn't mind a nice satin-finish clearcoat, but a supershiny finish would seem out of place to me.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

I'm assuming Wade does this with Gottliebs permission some how? Does anyone know care to elaborate?

Yes he has permission - great quality too. He has also done Knock Out and Sing A Long.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yeah, that's an interesting discussion in itself. I wouldn't mind a nice satin-finish clearcoat, but a supershiny finish would seem out of place to me.

The playfield clearcoat Wade did on FD is very close to the original as far as thickness and sheen. I thought about sending it to Ron Kruzman to have it recleared, but I decided not to. It just wouldn't look right.

Phoebe touched up and cleared my '66 Subway and it's a thick clearcoat but it's not the super shiny type. It's more of a matte finish which I think looks better on this era of game.

#19 4 years ago

My understanding is that Wade uses a screened clear similar to the original process. I'm excited to get K&Q if/when that gets done.

#20 4 years ago

put me down for a "jacks open" one...

#21 4 years ago

Wasn't there a Bally Wizard! done at some point. If anybody knows the about this .. can they chime in!

Mike V.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Wasn't there a Bally Wizard! done at some point. If anybody knows the about this .. can they chime in!
Mike V.

Looks like HSA did one.

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa78.html

Not sure what the story is on PPS/BAA doing a run of them..

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-CA-1128-128

#23 4 years ago

I sell and collect all of wades pf's. he has done kings and queens, wizard, world champ, Eldorado, fast draw, knock out. and I couple others I am listing from memory. The only one I have doubles on is world champ.
wade dosent do pf's for a living like cpr or mirco. He has a lot of irons in the fire. He is a talented artist, that works on a lot of different stuff.

#24 4 years ago

I just looked at the link to has and it is not quite right. What wade does, is his last screen is a coat of polyurethane or some other clear finish. So there is a thin coat of protection, that is the thickness of a color screen.
I don't mean to talk for wade, but he dosent spend time on this site.
I have cleared about 25 of wades licenced pf, and what I do is about 1/2 the thickness of a regular solid state game's pf, but the important thing to me is to get it level. If you know what you are doing you can level a pf so you cant feel the inserts, and still only have a very thin coat of clear.

everyone has their own opinion of weather to clear em pf's. One thing is certain, they will wear much faster if not cleared. every time the ball hits a spot that is not level, it causes a bruise that leads to wear. To some folks that s fine, others not. Whats better is I offer a special process that makes most em people happy, and it still looks "right" to them. Not to make the post about me. cheers

#25 4 years ago

Ron - I'd love to hear more about your EM process/see pictures.

#26 4 years ago

Like Ron alluded to above, you can clear a playfield with a seriously tough clearcoat, then knock down the shine to match any level of gloss you desire.

Highly recommended, as we all have seen the damage a nicked ball can cause in just a few games.

#27 4 years ago

I am hoping that Slick Chick playfields are made someday. I think it was on the list of them that Wade may eventually make...

-- Shawn

#28 4 years ago

Yep, he works with Gottlieb LLC and Steve Young, they give him approval on each item he does.

Steve

Quoted from iwantansi:

#29 4 years ago

Small producers for playfields will likely fill the voids of low demand playfields that CPR isn't interested in doing. I'm interested in doing some Gottlieb LLC playfields in 2015. If anyone has art available let me know, & I will see if it can get done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Prior Lake, MN
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Professor Pinball
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 5.00
$ 4.00
Electronics
Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
Professor Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 28.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside