• Maybe so 23 votes
    13%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

611-3 (resized).jpg
yoursign (resized).jpg
original (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I'm still trying to figure out why this game is so popular?? Not a dig on the game, I love it, and I have one, but I have played similar games that are loathed by those who worship Tron. I've asked, but I've never gotten a substantial answer as to what makes it so much better than similar games.

It's theme. It connects with this market. The rules on Tron are nothing special and the playfield layout is nothing special. Tron is fun and the game is good, but it could and should have been way better IMHO.

Case in point, if you took the widely disliked Mustang theme and put it on the current Tron playfield with a shallow Tron ruleset, it would be a bottom of the barrel Stern game. Likewise, if you took Tron and put it on the Mustang playfield with Mustang's deeper ruleset it would be an absolute out of the park home run.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People like to play Tron and they like to look at Tron - which is kind of the opposite of Mustang so I have no idea why you brought that into it.

That's the point. If the Tron playfield layout or the rules were that good, the theme would be transferable and it's not. Tron is a good game, but it's the theme that drives Tron and elevates it's status...people "like to look at Tron". For many people in my generation that like games and liked them as a kid, it is the perfect representative theme.

Mustang has the reverse issue that Tron does. Mustang has a more creative playfield layout and better ruleset, but because of the theme the game got largely ignored. Mustang is actually a pretty good game, but very few people like "to look at" the Mustang theme, so very few people give it a chance.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

..also who says Tron's rule set is shallow?

I do. You get basically half the ladder to SOS without even shooting for it. How often do you have to intentionally try to light Flynn, the recognizer, Zuse or Clu? If wasn't for the Gem shot being such a roadblock for many people it would be even more apparent how shallow it is.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Oh come on..all pinball games have modes or shots you hit or complete accidentally...MET is considered to have a deep rule set, how often do you start fuel without shooting for it? Same goes for coffin and snake. I start snake multiball by accident a shit load of times. If this game sucked the Pro wouldn't be selling for 6.5k or the LE for 10k. Sorry man this game is and will be one of the most valuable and sought after Stern games for some time to come.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I never said Tron sucked, I said it was good...should have been better. The question was asked by someone was Tron is so popular and I responded that the popularity is fueled by the theme primarily. It's not a bad game, I just wish there was a little more to it as Tron is my dream theme, much like it is for many others. And sure, most every game has things you start by accident, but normally on a game so beloved like Tron it isn't 50% of the requirements to get to the mini wizard mode. You don't have to apologize to me, I was just answering a question for someone, I don't have a Tron pin and I would never pay the price they would charge for a vault edition if it does come out, so I don't have a horse in this race.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not an analogy. And it's not mine. But it is indeed worthless which was my whole point.

I certainly never said Mustang had a shitty layout and ruleset. On the contrary I said the ruleset was pretty good and layout was more creative. If you really don't think that theme drives Tron sales, I think you are kidding yourself. Even you yourself said, "Tron looks better, it plays better, it sounds better". You do realize that that two out of the three factors you stated for Tron being a better game are based on theme right? The question was asked what makes Tron so desirable? It's a totally fair question as the game doesn't have a unique layout, fantastic toy, great dots or even a creative ruleset. The theme takes that good overall package and makes it great in this case. Tron looks and sounds cool. When you add aftermarket stuff that should have been there to begin with, it looks really cool. Theme can take a good game and elevate it like it did with Tron or take a good game and drive it down like it did with Mustang. I don't understand why some people get so worked up about that. It's pretty common knowledge and why Stern does all licensed themes to begin with so they can hopefully catch lightning in a bottle with that theme's demographic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-tron-be-remade?tu=lesmanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.