• Maybe so 23 votes
    13%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

611-3 (resized).jpg
yoursign (resized).jpg
original (resized).png
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

That's the point. If the Tron playfield layout or the rules were that good, the theme would be transferable and it's not. Tron is a good game, but it's the theme that drives Tron and elevates it's status...people "like to look at Tron". For many people in my generation that like games and liked them as a kid, it is the perfect representative theme.
Mustang has the reverse issue that Tron does. Mustang has a more creative playfield layout and better ruleset, but because of the theme the game got largely ignored. Mustang is actually a pretty good game, but very few people like "to look at" the Mustang theme, so very few people give it a chance.

Agreed.

Tron looks nicer, but Mustang is more fun.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

That's the point. If the Tron playfield layout or the rules were that good, the theme would be transferable and it's not. Tron is a good game, but it's the theme that drives Tron and elevates it's status...people "like to look at Tron". For many people in my generation that like games and liked them as a kid, it is the perfect representative theme.
Mustang has the reverse issue that Tron does. Mustang has a more creative playfield layout and better ruleset, but because of the theme the game got largely ignored. Mustang is actually a pretty good game, but very few people like "to look at" the Mustang theme, so very few people give it a chance.

Mustang is not a better game to play than Tron, not even close. "creative" doesn't = better - this can be applied to many Trudeau games.

Tron looks better, it plays better, it sounds better. Yes, Mustang probably would have sold better if it were themed after Tron, but who knows, and more importantly, who cares?

Tron is Tron. Mustang is Mustang. You can play the "if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon" game with ANY pinball machine.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

That's the point. If the Tron playfield layout or the rules were that good, the theme would be transferable and it's not. Tron is a good game, but it's the theme that drives Tron and elevates it's status...people "like to look at Tron". For many people in my generation that like games and liked them as a kid, it is the perfect representative theme. Mustang has the reverse issue that Tron does. Mustang has a more creative playfield layout and better ruleset, but because of the theme the game got largely ignored. Mustang is actually a pretty good game, but very few people like "to look at" the Mustang theme, so very few people give it a chance.

Nail on the head. I LOVE having Tron. But when you get past the looks/soundtrack, there's not not a lot to the game. You can get to SOS pretty easily (unless you've put bouncy clear rubbers all over it). I've gotten to Portal twice (not completed). It's cool, but there are a ton of games with a lot more to do, at a lot less $$$.

What kind of bugs me about it is there's really only 1 way to approach the game. "Complete everything". Sure you can go for points and EOL jackpots or try to get the Gem hurry-up activated during multiball, but those are little things and every one just wants to get to Portal.

Games like MET you can approach various ways, then have to play it a certain way to progress to the next stage. Tron is the coolest looking game with little to it.

Not sure about Mustang. Might be cool, but I'll only have 1 Trudeau pin at home at any one time

#54 7 years ago

Mustang is not even in the same zip code as Tron..also who says Tron's rule set is shallow? It's a perfectly balanced game with flow, music and a variety of easy and hard shots.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Mustang is not even in the same zip code as Tron..also who says Tron's rule set is shallow? It's a perfectly balanced game with flow, music and a variety of easy and hard shots.

True. But if Big Buck Hunter had been Tron, it would be worth $9,000! Or something?

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

..also who says Tron's rule set is shallow?

I do. You get basically half the ladder to SOS without even shooting for it. How often do you have to intentionally try to light Flynn, the recognizer, Zuse or Clu? If wasn't for the Gem shot being such a roadblock for many people it would be even more apparent how shallow it is.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I do. You get basically half the ladder to SOS without even shooting for it. How often do you have to intentionally try to light Flynn, the recognizer, Zuse or Clu? If wasn't for the Gem shot being such a roadblock for many people it would be even more apparent how shallow it is.

Ok it's shallow but is that a bad thing? I can complete the mansion in TAF pretty easily and multiple times but that doesn't make the game less fun. Shallow isn't always a detriment if the game creates a good atmosphere with the sound and lighting and is fun.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It's a pinball machine, it ain't War and Peace.

And considering how "shallow" it is, show of hands from all of you who have completed Portal.

Anyone? You in the Back? Oh, just scratching your forehead.

So, nobody?

I'm not sure what people want these days. Stern tried the "ridiculously deep ruleset" gambit with WPT, LOTR, and Simpsons and it was pretty pointless, considering that nobody can even "complete" a shallow game like Tron.

#59 7 years ago

Oh come on..all pinball games have modes or shots you hit or complete accidentally...MET is considered to have a deep rule set, how often do you start fuel without shooting for it? Same goes for coffin and snake. I start snake multiball by accident a shit load of times. If this game sucked the Pro wouldn't be selling for 6.5k or the LE for 10k. Sorry man this game is and will be one of the most valuable and sought after Stern games for some time to come.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I'm still trying to figure out why this game is so popular?? Not a dig on the game, I love it, and I have one, but I have played similar games that are loathed by those who worship Tron. I've asked, but I've never gotten a substantial answer as to what makes it so much better than similar games.
Whatever the formula is, they should keep using it for future games as it is obviously a hit.
I just wish Disney did not shelve the next movie....Can never get enough Tron....

For me it is a combination of being so much fun, and so straight forward. I can focus on, and finish, every individual task, but I can't do them all in one game. I've been to Portal once, and I've owned it for more than 5 years now.

So for me it is still popular because I still enjoy playing it. But I am very curious, what do you consider a similar game? I find Tron to be distinctive in its combination of flow, speed, and straightforward rules.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Oh come on..all pinball games have modes or shots you hit or complete accidentally...MET is considered to have a deep rule set, how often do you start fuel without shooting for it? Same goes for coffin and snake. I start snake multiball by accident a shit load of times. If this game sucked the Pro wouldn't be selling for 6.5k or the LE for 10k. Sorry man this game is and will be one of the most valuable and sought after Stern games for some time to come.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I never said Tron sucked, I said it was good...should have been better. The question was asked by someone was Tron is so popular and I responded that the popularity is fueled by the theme primarily. It's not a bad game, I just wish there was a little more to it as Tron is my dream theme, much like it is for many others. And sure, most every game has things you start by accident, but normally on a game so beloved like Tron it isn't 50% of the requirements to get to the mini wizard mode. You don't have to apologize to me, I was just answering a question for someone, I don't have a Tron pin and I would never pay the price they would charge for a vault edition if it does come out, so I don't have a horse in this race.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

For me it is a combination of being so much fun, and so straight forward. I can focus on, and finish, every individual task, but I can't do them all in one game. I've been to Portal once, and I've owned it for more than 5 years now.
So for me it is still popular because I still enjoy playing it. But I am very curious, what do you consider a similar game? I find Tron to be distinctive in its combination of flow, speed, and straightforward rules.

I've owned it about the same time. At first I thought it was a crappy game because I played it in an arcade. Then I played the LE in a someone's home and I was hooked. I was going to find an LE till Eli let out he was making the ramp kit. I've been to the portal about a dozen times...never finished it.

#63 7 years ago

I like the fact that it is both nostalgic and modern at the same time. Great looking game but haven't played it enough to comment on game play.

#64 7 years ago

please make a VE of this.... but keep the mostly daft punk soundtrack. Such a great game. I will definitely buy.

#65 7 years ago

I think the recognizer toy area is pretty solid and satisfying even for random crazy return.

I still like to shoot for it, even though I know it's trouble.

Someday soon I hope to start a "now I have an effing Tron" thread.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Not the case, Disney owns it all. There is no book author or comic book creator they have to get permission from. They will renew it in a heart beat. Personally I don't have a dog in the race, I have fully moded pro since the first run.

Maybe Disney won't release the license ?

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Tron Legacy did more than break even. It made a lot of money for Disney. When Disney made it, it was one of the few successes in a string of failures.
By the time they were making the sequel Disney had Marvel churning out very profitable movies and acquired the juggernaut of Lucasfilm. They no longer needed Tron or any of the other properties that weren't successful like John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland.

It made 400 million, but cost 180 million to make and they also spent that much marketing it.

That comparably small return on investment makes it a failure. Disney doesn't decide not to make more money on a success because they have other successes. If that was true they wouldn't have bothered building a Disneyland in China.

#68 7 years ago

hate the game, couldn't sell mine fast enough. I don't get the hype

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Disney doesn't decide not to make more money on a success because they have other successes. If that was true they wouldn't have bothered building a Disneyland in China.

I think you misunderstood me. There are only so many dates in the year and with the Marvel, Star Wars, live action remakes of animated classics, Pixar, and animated movies there is no need to take risks on anything anymore. That's why they don't need the Tron type of movies anymore.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

It made 400 million, but cost 180 million to make and they also spent that much marketing it.
That comparably small return on investment makes it a failure. Disney doesn't decide not to make more money on a success because they have other successes. If that was true they wouldn't have bothered building a Disneyland in China.

I can't help but wonder if the new Blade Runner awaits a similar fate - a big budget sequel to a cult movie that wasn't exactly a hit back in the day.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can't help but wonder if the new Blade Runner awaits a similar fate - a big budget sequel to a cult movie that wasn't exactly a hit back in the day.

If they stick with what made the original so good (great storyline and stunning cinematography) it will do fine. If they do what happens so often these days and turn it into a CGI fight fest it will bomb.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You'd have to have had a stroke to not realize this thread comes up once a week!
(kidding, kidding!)

#73 7 years ago

Well that's the beauty of Tron isn't it, VERY basic game, VERY hard to complete. Because it's so simple is half of what brings you back for more and makes it fun.

#74 7 years ago

New world record? The old thread from 20 something days ago hasn't/hadn't even died yet!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve

#75 7 years ago

Okay so the pins that have a better flow and are more fun than Tron would be IM and MET? Any other in the same league? I would like to add another game to my collection that plays great.

#76 7 years ago

I have never really gotten the abstract idea of "flow" really, as it cannot be scientifically proven, but Met has no where near the flow that Tron has. it MIGHT be more fun though....but that's debatable.

#77 7 years ago

If enthusiasts consider the general marketing of Stern and how they develop new titles, the market is due for another remake.
Generally, the goal is "once a year" at the current time, as it has been for the past 5 years (thereabouts).
Don't just consider VE, also consider games such as WNBJM and PBRCC as they also qualify.
Also, reruns are just as viable.

It is cheaper, simpler, and focuses on starry eyes new collectors who were not in the hobby the previous periods, not interested in the artwork of the previous model but like gameplay, or interested in pinball in general.
It allows additional massive cost saving measures as well, for those that are not aware of the previous iterations.
The manufacturing cost does not take a major hit as long as parts are available, except for the requirement to outsource new art, playfield production, and extending any license agreements if expired (which is the largest cost based on calculations of sales).
Profit margins are maximized.

Unfortunately, Stern quality control issues make it somewhat risky for older collectors to be willing to participate.
Support has begun to wane for willingness for make NIB purchases from 2015-2017.
Just buy a sample floor model, worst case, and avoid the hype for a higher cost than the original was built that does not correlate with any form economic basis. If you cannot get one, wait for the hype to go away in a couple of years, as said new owners move the game on.

As the market slumps for new titles, expect to see more reruns and remakes.
This is also part of the market cycle that established itself as the standard around 2005.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

If they stick with what made the original so good (great storyline and stunning cinematography) it will do fine. If they do what happens so often these days and turn it into a CGI fight fest it will bomb.

I'm not sure there is much of a storyline to Blade Runner. It took me a long time to even be luke warm to it and I think the main draw is the look of the world and lack of narrative.

There's little to no action and think a contemporary movie that is similar is Ex Machina. There is no way the new one will be like that and it will have multiple action sequences.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Unfortunately, Stern quality control issues make it somewhat risky for older collectors to be willing to participate.
Support has begun to wane for willingness for make NIB purchases from 2015-2017.

There's no actual evidence of this, yet people keep saying it.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm not sure there is much of a storyline to Blade Runner. It took me a long time to even be luke warm to it and I think the main draw is the look of the world and lack of narrative.

I can tell you every single part of Blade Runner, every character, what they do, how they die, modes you could turn them in to etc etc etc. I enjoyed Tron Legacy and I don't remember 4 goddamn things aboot it. Light Cycles, discs, Zues was at a bar for like 2 minutes then....?

Better yet look at tron pin...there isn;t much of a story. Give the characters an insert and do shit...I don;t remember anything aboot Gem in the movie.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don;t remember anything aboot Gem in the movie.

I can remember at least a couple things about Gem from the movie.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Tron is the coolest looking game with little to it.

Well that award will have to go to Magic Girl.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Well that award will have to go to Magic Girl.

LMFAO!

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There's no actual evidence of this, yet people keep saying it.

I stopped buying NIB pinball machines because of the quality issues Stern has. That is all the evidence I have to offer.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

and it'll sell for $6,600.

LOL!....6600? C'mon you really think if Stern remakes Tron, they will sell it for lower than Premium price? If (and its a big if) they do actually remake it, they will pull a Batman 66 or JJP Dialed In price range. Just look at how one of these threads comes up every week.... all it does is show them they can charge anything and all of you will pay it. Hell if they reimage it (like go with the old school 80's Tron look), how many of us current Tron owners will flash the cash for one (if anyone says no to that, you are lying)

To repeat advice given by dozens of Pinsiders over the last few years.... buy a used Tron now and enjoy it

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

LOL!....6600? C'mon you really think if Stern remakes Tron, they will sell it for lower than Premium price? If (and its a big if) they do actually remake it, they will pull a Batman 66 or JJP Dialed In price range. Just look at how one of these threads comes up every week.... all it does is show them they can charge anything and all of you will pay it. Hell if they reimage it (like go with the old school 80's Tron look), how many of us current Tron owners will flash the cash for one (if anyone says no to that, you are lying)
To repeat advice given by dozens of Pinsiders over the last few years.... buy a used Tron now and enjoy it

That is the premium price...where are you buying your games?

#87 7 years ago

Wow, there were some well thought out, and well put responses to my query on Tron. Too bad there were several posters who polluted the thread with unnecessary aggressive posts.

One of the things I really like about Tron is that it is fairly simple, so most people know how to play it. So, it pairs nicely as a casual competition game with friends and a few beers.

I give it the thumbs up, but then I am more of a pin-slut than a pin-snob. I like em all...

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I am more of a pin-slut

Yeah you are! ...extra dirty

#89 7 years ago

Hmm... never thought of that before but I guess I'm a pin slut as well.

#90 7 years ago

I'm now taking preorder deposits on my brand new "Tron VE" T-shirts. Limited to 1000 shirts so get yours today. Price is $199.99 they will ship when the Tron VE ships or maybe a year or two after. Sizes come in Beer gut, macho, and weeny.

#91 7 years ago

I'd probably buy a Tron ve shirt right now for fun.

#92 7 years ago

I am going to go ahead and start looking for a PRO as well - can't wait any longer. But I hope Stern does make a TRON VE - I really do think it would sell very well and it certainly has a lot of demand/interest as a VE candidate.

No other Stern I can think of - over the last 3 years - has been discussed and requested to have another run or especially a premium/VE model. The used PRO prices are still strong - and the LE is priced like the very highly valued pins like MM and MB.

Disclaimer: I think TRON is the best Stern game - so I am biased. Iron Man and Metallica are tied for 2nd

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I stopped buying NIB pinball machines because of the quality issues Stern has. That is all the evidence I have to offer.

Add me to the evidence pile. I used to be a regular customer. I'm completely done with NIB pinball forever.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Add me to the evidence pile. I used to be a regular customer. I'm completely done with NIB pinball forever.

C'mon Rare, you know your going to have to buy one of those shiny new Aliens NIB.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

C'mon Rare, you know your going to have to buy one of those shiny new Aliens NIB.

Nope. Not even remotely interested.

#96 7 years ago

The music is probably main reason I fancy a Tron. And decent ruleset.

Only thing I don't like is that the scoring seems bland compared to AC/DC/TWD in that doesn't seem like you can get huge jackpots etc? I know there is EOL but still low scoring.

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Since we are playing the If game...If Mustang had the exact same ruleset and layout as Tron, people would actually want to own it, because it would be a much better game, and it would be worth more. I mean, Mustang would be worth more because it would actually be Tron, even if it wouldn't be worth as much as Tron because it would be Mustang.

And if Tron had the same shitty layout and rules as Mustang, it would be worth less, because even though it would be Tron, it would actually be Mustang and it wouldn't be nearly as much fun to play. So it might be worth more than Mustang because it would be Tron, but it would still be worth less than Tron, because it would actually be Mustang.

Does the "it would be worth more because it's Tron" argument also apply to WWE? Would WWEle be worth $10,000 if it were Tron? and Would Tron still be worth big money if it were WWE?

At what point does this shit become absolutely pointless? You realize we can't prove any of this stuff, right?

If only Big Buck Hunter were Big Bang Bar, then maybe I could actually afford a Big Bang Bar.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Since we are playing the If game...If Mustang had the exact same ruleset and layout as Tron, people would actually want to own it, because it would be a much better game, and it would be worth more. I mean, Mustang would be worth more because it would actually be Tron, even if it wouldn't be worth as much as Tron because it would be Mustang.
And if Tron had the same shitty layout and rules as Mustang, it would be worth less, because even though it would be Tron, it would actually be Mustang and it wouldn't be nearly as much fun to play. So it might be worth more than Mustang because it would be Tron, but it would still be worth less than Tron, because it would actually be Mustang.
Does the "it would be worth more because it's Tron" argument also apply to WWE? Would WWEle be worth $10,000 if it were Tron? and Would Tron still be worth big money if it were WWE?
At what point does this shit become absolutely pointless? You realize we can't prove any of this stuff, right?
If only Big Buck Hunter were Big Bang Bar, then maybe I could actually afford a Big Bang Bar.

Replace the Mustang with a Camaro and I would've purchased this game.

I have a Camaro...no way I could own a Mustang pinball machine.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Replace the Mustang with a Camaro and I would've purchased this game.
I have a Camaro...no way I could own a Mustang pinball machine.

Can't you just affix one of those Calvin peeing stickers over the mustang on the translite?

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Its definitely a hot franchise, with Legacy barely breaking even, the cancellation of the third movie and cartoon and the closure of the arcade in Disney. Tough to say if they'll go with re-releasing Tron or a sure fire bet on a new franchise like John Carter Of Mars.

Didn't John Carter of Mars tank? I love the movie and read the book but I thought the movie did so badly that they fired the producer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-tron-be-remade/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.