• Yes 96 votes
    56%
  • No 52 votes
    31%
  • Maybe so 22 votes
    13%

(170 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

611-3 (resized).jpg
yoursign (resized).jpg
original (resized).png

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

With the insane prices we are seeing on old trons, will this be remade?

I am waiting on a remake to buy now. I'm pretty sure this is my number one game I want. Did I answer my own question?

This game has all the pinball magic rolled into one for me. I constantly want to play it again...

#2 3 years ago

original (resized).png

This thread comes up about every time i need to do my laundry... once / twice a week... seems about right.

With that being said probably it will be re-made / VE edition... I hope so as I want one. I have a feeling they might re-do the artwork to match that of the original 1982 Tron.

#3 3 years ago

Oh man. Although I'm a TRON VE believer, even I have to state FWIW that this topic has been covered in countless other Pinside threads.

What the hell; TRON VE will come.

#4 3 years ago

Gomez said you could pretty much guess all the vault titles they plan on doing, so it will most likely happen.

#5 3 years ago

Im certain it will be made now that I just purchased a huo Pro. I was tired of waiting so i pulled the trigger on one with all the goodies already installed and pre PF QC issues.

#6 3 years ago

Oh boy! Another Tron VE thread!

#7 3 years ago

Only if Pinside has 100 more will it be made threads. Just kidding...I would think they will release a VE sometime, who knows if it is next though since the rumors of AC/DC VE are being tossed around. Lots of threads on will there be a Tron VE if you search also.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Oh boy! Another Tron VE thread!

This is technically the VE thread for Tron VE.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Im certain it will be made now that I just purchased a huo Pro. I was tired of waiting so i pulled the trigger on one with all the goodies already installed and pre PF QC issues.

Same here.

#10 3 years ago

Sorry to be the creator of confusion...

I think a ve with original art would be fun. Now I need the the original and the vault wth I'll be happy with just one.

That said I think I would spring for a retro ve edition.

I know this crap has been brought up a million times but here it is on my mind again...

#11 3 years ago

I'm sorry edit feature,

I think a VE with retro art would be fun.

#12 3 years ago

If they do you can bet on rediculous pricing and questionable craftsmanship.

#13 3 years ago

Seriously, they're freaking idiots, there is no single game with more threads about a remake or VE than this game, yet they just hang back and release BDK, Kiss 2.0.

#14 3 years ago

Let's analyze the VEs:

Iron Man - carbon copy with improvements

Spider-Man - carbon copy game, new art. Based on Jody's comments, they wanted to the VE based on the movie trilogy and Disney suggested a cartoon version...I'm sure Disney didn't want to give Sony a cut.

Batman 66 - new rules, half the playfield redesigned, SPIKE instead of SAM...can we say this is a VE or a re-imagining?

Speculation:

AC/DC - IMO, the only thing stopping this would be AC/DC themselves. I think Stern could easily run an additional 500 Premiums (few of them LUCI) and another 1,000 Pros and all will sell out.

Tron VE - make it like Iron Man VE, but add lighted ramps. Stern should be able to sell 750 of these.

#15 3 years ago

tron ve will be like the new crap stern is building these days. look at the ghosting issues with sm ve. i wouldnt touch a new stern ve.

#16 3 years ago

Huzzah! Tron VE thread!

#17 3 years ago

Buy a nice original. Current quality out of the boxes coming from Elk Grove Village is a roll of the dice.

#18 3 years ago

Tron is my favorite theme, but the worst play field of any stern I feel. Empty.

#19 3 years ago

So, any solid info on the 10,000th thread?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

With the insane prices we are seeing on old trons, will this be remade?
I am waiting on a remake to buy now. I'm pretty sure this is my number one game I want. Did I answer my own question?
This game has all the pinball magic rolled into one for me. I constantly want to play it again...

Is there an inside joke where every 3 days someone makes a new Tron speculation thread? It's kind of funny, actually.

If Stern can do it (licensing) I think they would. But, no one knows for sure. IIRC, there is a post from 2 years ago that authoritatively said based on inside info it's coming within a year ... so, I won't believe it until it ships.

#21 3 years ago

Does it really matter? IF they make a VE you will be paying premium prices for questionable build quality when you can get a used one now for probably lower than NIB premium prices. I personally would never pay the rediculous amount this game is fetching right now. It's good but not that good.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Does it really matter?

Good God man (pardon me if you're not a male) - of course it does! Sure - it will likely be expensive, but it will also be virgin new! And shiny! And "state-of-the-art" (degree of which TBD).

AND ... it will be ... TRON VE!!! (cue the angelic chorus)

And Stern will reap great profits. Thus ... TRON VE WILL COME.

#23 3 years ago

I am getting tired of this Tron VE thread. Someone start a new one.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I am getting tired of this Tron VE thread. Someone start a new one.

In the middle of typing one up. But it's going to be called
"the official last Tron VE thread so don't make any more" thread.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Let's analyze the VEs:
Iron Man - carbon copy with improvements

That was the first and last VE in my opinion. I figure by the time Tron "VE" comes out it will be slightly reimagined and cost more than STLE when it came out. Stern isn't looking at what the piddly little Pro is selling for, they are looking at the price of the Tron LE. That's their market now.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That was the first and last VE in my opinion. I figure by the time Tron "VE" comes out it will be slightly reimagined and cost more than STLE when it came out. Stern isn't looking at what the piddly little Pro is selling for, they are looking at the price of the Tron LE. That's their market now.

Sad, but you're probably spot on.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

They don't need to spend the money on changing up Tron.

All they need to do, is add lighted ramps, put the LE callouts in the game, shaker, upgraded armor and it'll sell for $6,600.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Seriously, they're freaking idiots, there is no single game with more threads about a remake or VE than this game, yet they just hang back and release BDK, Kiss 2.0.

Or perhaps they can't get the licence to make more ?

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

All they need to do, is add lighted ramps, put the LE callouts in the game, shaker, upgraded armor and it'll sell for $6,600.

Or charge 8k like 66 and people will be cursing them up and down.

#30 3 years ago

STERN PLEASE REMAKE THIS DAMN GAME SO I DONT HAVE TO SEE ANOTHER TRONVE THREAD

#31 3 years ago

I got sick of waiting and hoping so i grabbed a Tron Pro and all the mods a few months back. Such a great game!

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I got sick of waiting and hoping so i grabbed a Tron Pro and all the mods a few months back. Such a great game!

Probably the best decision.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Funny how when the VE speculation started, people were convinced it would be $5k. If they keep holding out, people will be convinced it won't be more than $8,500. Just keep holding out Stern, you'll condition them to accept whatever pricing reality you desire.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Or perhaps they can't get the licence to make more ?

Not the case, Disney owns it all. There is no book author or comic book creator they have to get permission from. They will renew it in a heart beat. Personally I don't have a dog in the race, I have fully moded pro since the first run.

#35 3 years ago

Its definitely a hot franchise, with Legacy barely breaking even, the cancellation of the third movie and cartoon and the closure of the arcade in Disney. Tough to say if they'll go with re-releasing Tron or a sure fire bet on a new franchise like John Carter Of Mars.

#36 3 years ago

I can't believe I'm writing more but...

The fact we are all speculating is something. This game does not seem to have a better example of pinball. Or if nothing else, nothing recent better. I know that's vague.

We need more games like Tron, but maybe Tron needs to be everywhere to play. I was on the fence about Tron but now it seems obvious.

If I don't have it I need to get it.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So except for the drops, they would build Tron LE for $6,600? Sweet.

Look, I know my saying that sounds a bit insulting, but I just don't see it happening. Will a Tron VE happen? Of course. But will it be a nice value like IMVE was? No, Stern doesn't do that anymore.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So except for the drops, they would build Tron LE for $6,600? Sweet.
Look, I know my saying that sounds a bit insulting, but I just don't see it happening. Will a Tron VE happen? Of course. But will it be a nice value like IMVE was? No, Stern doesn't do that anymore.

Drops, moving recognizer, silver accents on playfield, and chrome armor.

I can't imagine Disney saying no to a VE. It's free money for them. Does anyone know how much a license costs for pinball?

It would be great if Stern were to re-visit something like Tales from the Crypt. Upgrade it to SPIKE, use the new LCD, it'll immediately look and sound better.

#39 3 years ago

The real question is: When Stern releases Tron VE, will you be willing to pay the $8200 (shipped) to get one in your home.

My answer to that is: NO

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

We can speculate about price all day and probably all be wrong. But, to think Stern is simply pricing off cost to manufacturer isn't how it works. They're pricing to what the market will pay. Batman 66 says people will shell out... so expect to see Tron VE cost more than 6,600

#41 3 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out why this game is so popular?? Not a dig on the game, I love it, and I have one, but I have played similar games that are loathed by those who worship Tron. I've asked, but I've never gotten a substantial answer as to what makes it so much better than similar games.
Whatever the formula is, they should keep using it for future games as it is obviously a hit.

I just wish Disney did not shelve the next movie....Can never get enough Tron....

#42 3 years ago

You'd have to have had a stroke to not realize this thread comes up once a week!

(kidding, kidding!)

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I'm still trying to figure out why this game is so popular??

For me, the lighted ramps are pretty cool and that's about it.

I much prefer playing IM and Metallica.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

For me, the lighted ramps are pretty cool and that's about it.
I much prefer playing IM and Metallica.

I believe the soundtrack is what makes people believe it's so awesome. I think the gameplay is pretty standard though.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I'm still trying to figure out why this game is so popular?? Not a dig on the game, I love it, and I have one, but I have played similar games that are loathed by those who worship Tron. I've asked, but I've never gotten a substantial answer as to what makes it so much better than similar games.

It's theme. It connects with this market. The rules on Tron are nothing special and the playfield layout is nothing special. Tron is fun and the game is good, but it could and should have been way better IMHO.

Case in point, if you took the widely disliked Mustang theme and put it on the current Tron playfield with a shallow Tron ruleset, it would be a bottom of the barrel Stern game. Likewise, if you took Tron and put it on the Mustang playfield with Mustang's deeper ruleset it would be an absolute out of the park home run.

#46 3 years ago

I'm weird... I think Tron & ACDC can suck it

Bring out the brand new shit with LCD's!

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Case in point, if you took the Mustang theme and put it on the current Tron playfield with a shallow Tron ruleset, it would be a bottom of the barrel Stern game. Likewise, if you took Tron and put it on the Mustang playfield with Mustang's deeper ruleset it would be an absolute out of the park home run.

Case in point, if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Tron is actually a very fun, if simple, game, much like the game it strongly resembles, Congo. It's not just the theme, but it's got fast layout with great flow and good ruleset to compliment it. People like to play Tron and they like to look at Tron - which is kind of the opposite of Mustang so I have no idea why you brought that into it.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Its definitely a hot franchise, with Legacy barely breaking even, the cancellation of the third movie and cartoon and the closure of the arcade in Disney. Tough to say if they'll go with re-releasing Tron or a sure fire bet on a new franchise like John Carter Of Mars.

Tron Legacy did more than break even. It made a lot of money for Disney. When Disney made it, it was one of the few successes in a string of failures.

By the time they were making the sequel Disney had Marvel churning out very profitable movies and acquired the juggernaut of Lucasfilm. They no longer needed Tron or any of the other properties that weren't successful like John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland.

#49 3 years ago

I also hope that it's released with the new ghosting features that I've been hearing so much good stuff about recently. A feature that gets better as you play it. Very inventive.

Quoted from robotron:

tron ve will be like the new crap stern is building these days. look at the ghosting issues with sm ve. i wouldnt touch a new stern ve.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People like to play Tron and they like to look at Tron - which is kind of the opposite of Mustang so I have no idea why you brought that into it.

That's the point. If the Tron playfield layout or the rules were that good, the theme would be transferable and it's not. Tron is a good game, but it's the theme that drives Tron and elevates it's status...people "like to look at Tron". For many people in my generation that like games and liked them as a kid, it is the perfect representative theme.

Mustang has the reverse issue that Tron does. Mustang has a more creative playfield layout and better ruleset, but because of the theme the game got largely ignored. Mustang is actually a pretty good game, but very few people like "to look at" the Mustang theme, so very few people give it a chance.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside