Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TAFMSV
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tmp_10839-20160828_0949331476695643.jpg
tmp_10839-20160827_145324-11375139040.jpg
pinside2 (resized).jpg
pinside1 (resized).jpg
IMG_3966 (resized).JPG
IMG_3965 (resized).JPG
IMG_3964 (resized).JPG
IMG_3963 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

As one can see from the decomposed rubber, this one's been sitting idle for a long time. It's all there, reasonably clean inside, and close enough to being fully functional to be a temptation.

The playfield looks unworn, but dirty. It's been covered with plexiglass, but it was in a basement when I looked at it. Is the grain visible on the playfield a sign of serious humidity damage? I worry that any cleanup attempt would lift or flake the paint off of the wood, but I don't know my stuff. It's not visibly warped, delaminated, or otherwise compromised. Does this condition look familiar to anybody here?

IMG_3963 (resized).JPG

IMG_3964 (resized).JPG

IMG_3965 (resized).JPG

IMG_3966 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from TAFMSV:

... I worry that any cleanup attempt would lift or flake the paint off of the wood, but I don't know my stuff. It's not visibly warped, delaminated, or otherwise compromised. Does this condition look familiar to anybody here?

Yes, very typical of this era of Gottlieb game. It looks more solid than some I've seen.
The ink will be tender in many areas, so cleaning should be light. Rather than go at it with a heavy hand with alcohol and Magic Eraser, do it with light pressure multiple times. You can wear through the ink if you aren't careful.

The straight wood grain showing through is typical too. These will be the most tender areas when cleaning.

Lots of touch up after cleaning with these games. Or just clean, wax, and enjoy.

Here are before/after photos of a 1955 Southern Belle in similar condition.

Alan

pinside1 (resized).jpg

pinside2 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

Oh......she'll clean up. Looks to be in pretty good shape too! I've picked up several games in compribale shape that look great now. Southern bell looks good Alan!

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies, guys! The more I think about it, the less likely it is that I'll pursue this one. The price is just too high, but the advice and the example will probably serve me in the future.

#5 3 years ago

Vid's cleaning guide is an excellent resource.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

The most important thing I learned was don't use stuff with silicone. Use Naptha and Novus products.

tmp_10839-20160827_145324-11375139040.jpg

tmp_10839-20160828_0949331476695643.jpg

#6 3 years ago

What's the price if you don't mind me asking?

#7 3 years ago

Great great game. Pass the info on so another pinhead here can maybe pursue.

#8 3 years ago

I was riding along with somebody else to provide a slightly informed opinion, so I'd like to wait another couple of days at least, to be sure he's made up his own mind.

Seller was firm at $600. We chewed it over for a while. It has a number of repairable problems, needs flipper work, needs a sheet of glass... There are restored machines from the same era in my general area that can be had for a comparable price, after adding in cost of materials. My friend is shopping for something plug and play. I'm thinking of making a first project of it if he doesn't go for it, but it's not a steal.

It's in the rural midwest.

#9 3 years ago

Ahh I'd pass on it too. But that's just me. I'm poor.

#10 3 years ago

It would clean up, but it would be tough to look at that backglass the way it sits.

#11 3 years ago

My first pin was a Dancing Dolls. I was in junior high school in the 70's and it started me on collecting pins. I would give $600 for one in the DFW area if one became available, just to have one again.

#12 3 years ago

It would probably restore pretty nice.

Backglass would be $299.

But it is non working and probably needs 100 hours work.

$300 max as it stands.

#13 3 years ago

By the way, my friend found it listed at Varagesale dot com. I've given up facebook (required by Varagesale) for the time being, so I haven't seen the listing.

If you know Varagesale, want a Dancing Dolls, and aren't picky about the price, search central Missouri.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 25.00
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
Flashinstinct
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 28.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 1,200.00
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 199.99
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside