Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

nothing related to mmr, but i'm confused with this coin mech / comparator - as there are no switches, etc.

Will this work for WPC games?

thanks,
    rick

#2 9 years ago

Picture, make, model, anything ?

Thank you.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Many will work in a WPC game. Problem will be the manufacturer - is anything available to hook it to and program it to American ( or what ever country ) coins.

#5 9 years ago

That looks like a mechanical coin mech - not really what I consider a comparator. Maybe I have my terminology wrong, but I always thought a comparator was the electronic device that 'looked' at a coin, and decided what the value of the coin was, or rejected it if it were not a known value / counterfeit.

If it's the 100 series from Coin Mechanisms Inc, which it appears to be, it's probably this mech:

http://www.coinmech.com/product_profile.cfm?id=524

You might want to contact Coin Mech Inc and see if PPS or BAA could become a distributor.

If you're looking for mechs, though, there are better buys for your dollar. Terry has all metal ones for $10. The Happ Ultimech is nicer plastic mech that costs less than the one you linked. Imonex makes a nice mech at around the same price that will even take bent quarters.

Not knowing your motivation, I can't speculate too much, but there are options out there that perform better or cost less, depending on what you are looking for.

#6 9 years ago

That is a regular coin mech, will work fine in WPC pinball machines.

#7 9 years ago

Looks like standard issue mech to me.

#8 9 years ago

That is, in fact, the stock mech supplied for any Coin Controls coin door supplied on a US game, before WMS switched to the Entropy doors.

The only catch is, it might ship with only the left-side studs installed; coin controls doors don't use right-side studs.

(come to think of it, I don't think entropy ones do, either)

#9 9 years ago

Yup, That's a regular run of the mill 25 cent coin mech. The "comparator" part is simply the small odd shaped wheel on a "pin" (i don't know the real part name) which tilts that is machined down to the micron in size to allow only a US quarter to pass through. If you use tokens, you can get the same looking acceptor (coin mech) that takes whatever size tokens you use.

You should also be able to purchase a bag of spare studs. Your coin mechs will have pre-drilled holes on both sides.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from videorob:

Your coin mechs will have pre-drilled holes on both sides.

As long as they aren't the plastic molded on ones.

And depending on manufacturer the threaded holes can be different sizes and metric or American.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As long as they aren't the plastic molded on ones.
    And depending on manufacturer the threaded holes can be different sizes and metric or American.

Good point. I was assuming metal as the plastic ones.....well you get what you pay for.

I did not know about the size variance and Metric vs Standard. Never came across that yet. Learn something new every time I come here.

EDIT: on Metric vs Standard. I either never came across that or I cross threaded a butt load of coin mechs!!!! Probably the latter.

#12 9 years ago

I know a ton of game ops that swore by the plastic acceptors ... with no moving parts they loved 'em; was impossible to gum them up with beer, etc.

They DO wear out over time though ... metal coins sliding through plastic = wear, and once wallowed out the slide passages stop working correctly.

Plastic stubs can be cut off, and if needed again, you just drill a hole and screw a metal one in its place.

A good operator never lets something as simple as that get between him and quarters in the bin!

(wink, wink)

1 month later
    #13 9 years ago
    Quoted from videorob:

you get what you pay for.

+1

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-this-coin-mech-work-on-wpc-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.