Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by Mitch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200224_172821 (resized).jpg

#1 36 days ago

I bought a capacitor kit for my flash power supply board.
Normally I'm use to the values being a little off but not this much. Will this work?
20200224_172821 (resized).jpg

#2 35 days ago

Maybe someone else can chime in on this, but I was always taught when replacing a cap that the microfarads should be the same tollerence as the cap your replacing and the voltage should be either the same tollerence or higher.

I suppose 12000 microfarads is close enough to 15000 microfarads with a higher voltage that it may not matter, but someone with and electronics background will hopefully chime in and give you a better answer.

#3 35 days ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Maybe someone else can chime in on this, but I was always taught when replacing a cap that the microfarads should be the same tollerence as the cap your replacing and the voltage should be either the same tollerence or higher.
I suppose 12000 microfarads is close enough to 15000 microfarads with a higher voltage that it may not matter, but someone with and electronics background will hopefully chime in and give you a better answer.

I've always thought the same thing. Hope someone else chimes in. The kit says it's for system 3 to system 6

#4 35 days ago

According to IPDB, Flash is a System 4 game. The copy of the manual they have for Flash is missing the power supply schematic... but looking up another System 4 game, we see the schematic shows the value of the large capacitor C15 as 12000 uF (which incidentally matches the published System 6 spec) .

An increased voltage rating is fine, and will enhance durability.

The cap you have should be fine. Make sure to install it in the correct direction.

#5 35 days ago

Typically any electrolytic capacitor 10,000uF to 18,000uF, 16V or higher will be fine. Since Flash has 3 flippers you might need to be at least 15,000uF on that capacitor. Otherwise, you might have resets with the 12,000uF.

#6 35 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Typically any electrolytic capacitor 10,000uF to 18,000uF, 16V or higher will be fine. Since Flash has 3 flippers you might need to be at least 15,000uF on that capacitor. Otherwise, you might have resets with the 12,000uF.

Ok I'll give it a shot and hope it doesnt reset.

#7 35 days ago

That's interesting about flipper count determining the capacitance rating. It makes sense. But then WMS designed the power supplies to be swappable, right...?

But to research on this note, there are only four System 4 games, including Flash. Phoenix is a System 4 with 4 flippers... its schematic also shows 12000 uF for that capacitor... so stands to reason we're in good shape here.

#8 35 days ago

Conact and Pokerino are the 4 flipper games. Phoenix has 2 flippers

12,000 is fine there.

#9 35 days ago

Crud you're right... I've never played Phoenix but I thought it had flippers for it's upper pf and when I looked at its IPDB entry to confirm, I got crosseyed in the spec list I saw that Pokerino has 4 flippers but that one is missing schematics! Ugh, what a puzzle. But yes, Contact (a Sys3) is 4-flipper and has the same 12K uF cap so... it's all good, whew!

#10 35 days ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Crud you're right... I've never played Phoenix but I thought it had flippers for it's upper pf and when I looked at its IPDB entry to confirm, I got crosseyed in the spec list I saw that Pokerino has 4 flippers but that one is missing schematics! Ugh, what a puzzle. But yes, Contact (a Sys3) is 4-flipper and has the same 12K uF cap so... it's all good, whew!

Awsome thank you so much for looking into this for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weedsport, NY
$ 22.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Machine - For Sale
Montreal, QC
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside