(Topic ID: 168276)

Will this be the death of mechanical pinball?

By Davidus56

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by klr650
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tech Notes (resized).jpg
    Antique.jpg
    vinyl-records-growth (resized).png
    IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0688 (resized).JPG
    15697174_10154776822969882_5954354284038821530_n (resized).jpg
    87750-pinsimv2_1-2 (resized).jpg
    Oculus (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    cyberwar (resized).jpg
    04c974e18d8daa1ddb301fb93ab300ec (resized).jpg
    pawculus-virtual-reality-for-dogs-cone-extension (resized).jpg
    donut flavored tequila--Ill never get another ticket ever (resized).jpg
    Just kidding about the donut flavored tequila man (resized).jpg
    tumblr_na668jZp9l1rwjpnyo3_1280 (resized).jpg
    5124200524a19b253c1a4bd87dc4534f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider selektor6.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 7 years ago

There's nothing like the real thing...however, I have 10 pins and a virtual pin...with pinball fx2,pin all arcade and visual pinball running. I play my "real" pins a lot, don't ban me for saying this, but I play the virtual pin more.
    It's a different beast, but to me, just as addidictive. Guitar hero isn't "real" guitar, and racing games aren't "real" race cars.....but virtual pinball is a hell of a lot closer to the real thing as both of those type of games.
    As far as competitive play, there are monthly tournaments for pbfx2 and pinball arcade....and PBA has a head to head in beta now! I'd love fo real pinball to be able to play online with other pins of the same kind and settings.
    I play in league every week...and I absolutely love real pinball......I don't think pinball will die, but it will have to evolve.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

Most of the people posting here are confusing 'video' pinball with 'virtual' pinball. They are NOT the same. THERE ARE NO RACING SIMULATORS IN VR YET! Virtual Reality and Video pinball (i.e. VPCabs) are totally different animals. Pinballfx2 is not Virtual reality.

The VR pinball you played were the same as the PBFX2 tables. Made from zen. Pinball arcade is sure to follow.

#54 7 years ago

Solid state pins didn't kill pinball. Then after that DMD didn't kill SS pinball. The newest LCDS aren't going to kill DMD games...My Pont is.....Fun is Fun. Pinball will always be fun. I love the old bally games. But pinball will evolve.

#82 7 years ago

How about a real internet connected pinball machine, with augmented reality on the playfield. Like pin2k , but with 3 dimensional animations. Don't tell me you wouldn't play that.

#85 7 years ago

Buttons on a virtual pin can be mapped to vr....And there are force feedback boards that drive shaker motors and knocker coils. The experience is kind of close to real pinball, but to me it's absolutely fun to play virtual pinball because of the things you can do virtually that you can not do with a real pin.
    Obviously a huge divide between "real"pinball players and virtual pinball players. It seems ridiculous to me that this is such a polarizing topic. These threads should be headed "church and state"

#94 7 years ago

A few years back, when digital Renditions of actors first started appearing in movies, I remember there being a lot of discussion about one day there being no need to hire actors. That hasn't happened. However, The Matrix is a good example of how a digital rendition enhanced living reality. I think that's where all this is heading. Some sort of hybrid version of pinball.
    It's a natural progression of Technology. Look what happened to bingo machines. They disappeared. Or did they? Nick Baldridge at for amusement only is giving them a digital facelift. And that might be necessary for them to survive at all.
    I don't think pinball will reach the low point that Bingo machines did, as long as they continually evolve.

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

I once build myself a virtual pinball cabinet,
    virtual pinball ,future pinball, fx2, pinball arcade etc.
    it was fun
    it was nice having so mutch tables
    it was realy interesting using BAM better arcade mode which is a program that makes i look like real 3d using an xbox cinect
    google it youll be amazed!
    but.....
    the building was more fun then playing
    it just never felt real, i was always tweaking the physics ,friction etc.
    its okay but its not pinball.
    Maybe one day it will come realy close
    but there is no repairing, modding, and the real flow and lighting etc

I didn't even know that was out there....I thought I was almost finished with my build....jeez

#116 7 years ago

I'm looking up...and adding BAM. Freaking awesome

#119 7 years ago

Thanks jorro....digital pinball , like pbfx and pba as well as future pinball, have the same physics as the VR versions. So it is almost impossible to address the op's original question ,without including a conversation about regular digital pinball. As the physics of these programs improve....so does the VRs physics. Ball spin, friction, collision physics are all improving.....maybe one day to the point that we can cash in on all those pinball skills that we spent many many hours fine tuning on "real" pinball machines.
    It's probably frustrating for "purists" to lose that advantage when playing digital pinball. But tap passing , dead flips, post passing and such are getting better every day in the digital world. I welcome this evolution. And I continue to try and improve on real tables. I know for a fact digital has improved my "real" game.

1 week later
    #140 7 years ago

Me and my dad used to go to Blockbuster every weekend. It was a ritual. That is where you found new movies. It really seem that that would be the way things were forever. But little did we know that one day Netflix would offer a service that would be cheaper, offer more varity, and a higher resolution without ever leaving the house.

These things went out every time. Pinball is getting crazy expensive. Coupled with an interest in the hobby. Stern can keep selling games for an ever-increasing price ,to a few buyers. But what happens when people realize they can have just as much fun for less money , and more variety, and many more options as far as gameplay and graphics.

#141 7 years ago

Blockbustument

#155 7 years ago

The insane prices are out of hand on pinball...."market can bare blah,blah,blah".
    I saw 2 boxes of beanie babies at an antique store and the guy working there said "these used to be worth a lot of money".
    VR will obviously be a less expensive,no maintenance version of pinball.

#164 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Consumer products like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive include cameras, head tracking, laser scanners and motion controls.
    They're considered expensive by the gaming community at $600 and $800, but those amounts are CHICKEN FEED in the pinball world.
    Pinflation has created an enormous "undercut opportunity" where a device like "3D pinball" could be made with all top-flight components (3x 120Hz cameras, i7 processor, 4k screen) and STILL be less than even a Stern Pro.

Yep...even older machines maintenance...I have to buy a new driver board and mpu...400.00 to get my Embrion back up. Mars God of War I've spent over 500.00 not to mention the initial cost....I didn't spend that much to build my vpin. And I got bam working on it to add a new dimension thanks to this thread.
    I love pinball. But I love digital pinball due to cost, availability, and endless possibilities in game play. PBFX2 is great fun

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider selektor6.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-this-be-the-death-of-mechanical-pinball?tu=selektor6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.