(Topic ID: 168276)

Will this be the death of mechanical pinball?

By Davidus56

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by klr650
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tech Notes (resized).jpg
    Antique.jpg
    vinyl-records-growth (resized).png
    IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0688 (resized).JPG
    15697174_10154776822969882_5954354284038821530_n (resized).jpg
    87750-pinsimv2_1-2 (resized).jpg
    Oculus (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    cyberwar (resized).jpg
    04c974e18d8daa1ddb301fb93ab300ec (resized).jpg
    pawculus-virtual-reality-for-dogs-cone-extension (resized).jpg
    donut flavored tequila--Ill never get another ticket ever (resized).jpg
    Just kidding about the donut flavored tequila man (resized).jpg
    tumblr_na668jZp9l1rwjpnyo3_1280 (resized).jpg
    5124200524a19b253c1a4bd87dc4534f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Here's a cargument.....
    You can drive a Bugatti Veyron with a PC emulator. Petals wheel etc. Bu would you rather have the chance to drive the real thing.

It's a great argument. Of course everyone would rather drive the real thing... but most of us never will. I can play BBB on my simulator, but I've never seen one in real life. Simulation is to do what you can't in real life.. not to replace what you can. I can't own 300 "tables" at one time, but I can play one of 300 simulated "tables" any night of the week. I enjoy a virtual pinball immensely. I don't have room for a game room in my home. I have a MAME cabinet and a virtual pinball. That scratches my itch. I get a headache watching 3d TV so I can only imagine how my head would pound after wearing an occulus for any length of time.

Will VR replace mechanical pinball? Exactly as much as flight simulators have replaced real airplanes.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

First off, VR is a fad. A fad that's had billions pumped into it, but a fad nonetheless. The price is too damn high. Even beyond the price, it doesn't fit in with "relaxation". Gamers want to plop in front of their couch or PC and just play. Get up every couple rounds for a beer or piss. At some point we'll be able to "switch off your nervous system enter the Matrix" but that's several decades away.
    But pinball is a "world under glass". It can be controlled, and is observed remotely, which means it can be simulated. You don't need goggles. A camera could track your head position and render a display that appears correct to your line of sight. The vibrations you feel on your palms could be simulated by haptic feedback.
    Kids used to go outside and play Cops & Robbers, or Cowboys & Indians. Now they don't need to - Call of Duty does a better job of it for them in simulation.
    Pinball is ripe for this takeover because it has enormous "price overhead room". Who here has a HD or 4K TV that cost *anywhere near* what a Stern Pro does? A virtual cab could be filled with top-of-the-line parts and still be a cost advantage over a wood & wire traditional machine.

Sounds like Ben Heck is working on a new project. When I built my simulator, an appropriate used TV for the playfield was $250 (new $400). THere are a half dozen similar TVs now for around $200 brand new. The costs are dropping and the software is improving. The head tracking is developing for (future pinball anyway). A good force feedback pinsim "video game" is very immersive and enjoyable. What I'm getting at is costs are dropping and tech is improving where pinsims will increase in popularity. As far as strapping on a visor to melt into the matrix... not so much.

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

Simulation will become better and better, getting closer and closer to the real thing.of course some things are easier to simulate than others: pinball, being a closed world under a glass, is not among the most difficult things for sure. It will take some more decades, and it will never be like the real thing. But when the gap will
    Be enough small, virtual will kill the real thing. Of course somebody will still own, play and fix real
    Machines. Like somebody these days still travel with horses, just for fun.
    Anyway, I think it will take some decades,so in the meanwhile - with existing quite good but not "perfect" simulations - the real things will still rule.
    Btw, when technology will be so evolved after many decades, not phisical pinball only will become a thing of the past. Many more important aspects of life will be involved, and probably homo sapiens himself will technologically evolve into something else, togheter with social structures, economics, politics, etc.
    In conclusion: i think we will enjoy phisical
    Pinball for long time. Prices will not change dramatically, too.
    Note: those thoeries on technological evolution, exponential growth, singularity, etc.dates back decades ago. Kurzweil popularized them very successfully. Musk is only reporting them, he certainly did not createany of them.

No tech advance will make simulations replace reality. Musk and Kurzweil are simply trans-humanists who see our fleshy masses as an impediment to their desires for cyborg and computer god-hood. They are eugenicist Luciferians at heart and see this as an argument for institutionalized human sacrifice. I know this sounds crazy, but there is something about these elitists that makes them hate humanity as we know it.

#150 7 years ago

I don't think VR is a fad at all. What else can losers do if they can't land a real woman?

2 months later
    #168 7 years ago

In Japan, women are being replaced with sexbots. In 50 years the gene lines of men who prefer robots to women will be severely diminished. In the meantime:

The world belongs to those who reject the virtual for the real. I relish the opportunity to scoop up on all those big heavy boxes of lights and wires.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-this-be-the-death-of-mechanical-pinball?tu=sadsack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.