(Topic ID: 168276)

Will this be the death of mechanical pinball?

By Davidus56

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by klr650
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tech Notes (resized).jpg
    Antique.jpg
    vinyl-records-growth (resized).png
    IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0688 (resized).JPG
    15697174_10154776822969882_5954354284038821530_n (resized).jpg
    87750-pinsimv2_1-2 (resized).jpg
    Oculus (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    cyberwar (resized).jpg
    04c974e18d8daa1ddb301fb93ab300ec (resized).jpg
    pawculus-virtual-reality-for-dogs-cone-extension (resized).jpg
    donut flavored tequila--Ill never get another ticket ever (resized).jpg
    Just kidding about the donut flavored tequila man (resized).jpg
    tumblr_na668jZp9l1rwjpnyo3_1280 (resized).jpg
    5124200524a19b253c1a4bd87dc4534f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsinner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 7 years ago

Nothing can replace a real pinball machine. It never will.

With that being said, there is room for VR pinball in this hobby. It is not a threat to the real thing, only a substitution. It is like one of those electronic cigarettes (refer to picture example), it helps with the craving and will get me by until I can get my hands on the real thing.

Pinball is dead where I live. There are no sited pins here and I may never get the opportunity to play some of the classics. VR pinball will give me the opportunity to try them out. Get a feel for the rules and gameplay. Then when I am ready to part with my hard earned $5000-$10,000 I will be more confident I've made the right decision. (Pins are more expensive here than some other parts of the world)

I have the Oculus Rift CV1 and I built a dedicated VR pinball controller (refer to picture) It has a working plunger, it registers nudge/tilt and it weighs a ton, adding to the sense I am holding the real thing when in VR. Until you have tried pinball in the Rift, I urge people to reserve judgement. It is pretty good now, and like the OP said, in five years will be fantastic, especially when using a dedicated controller like I ( and many others) have built.

It will never replace the real thing, but it is a good substitute for those of us that can't get their hands on the real deal.

IMG_0688 (resized).JPGIMG_0688 (resized).JPG

IMG_0534 (resized).JPGIMG_0534 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsinner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-this-be-the-death-of-mechanical-pinball?tu=pinsinner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.