(Topic ID: 168276)

Will this be the death of mechanical pinball?

By Davidus56

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by klr650
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Tech Notes (resized).jpg
    Antique.jpg
    vinyl-records-growth (resized).png
    IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0688 (resized).JPG
    15697174_10154776822969882_5954354284038821530_n (resized).jpg
    87750-pinsimv2_1-2 (resized).jpg
    Oculus (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    cyberwar (resized).jpg
    04c974e18d8daa1ddb301fb93ab300ec (resized).jpg
    pawculus-virtual-reality-for-dogs-cone-extension (resized).jpg
    donut flavored tequila--Ill never get another ticket ever (resized).jpg
    Just kidding about the donut flavored tequila man (resized).jpg
    tumblr_na668jZp9l1rwjpnyo3_1280 (resized).jpg
    5124200524a19b253c1a4bd87dc4534f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#202 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Not in 5 years but eventually, young people today will never get into buying mechanical pinball machines but may embrace it via VR and as that tech matures companies could decide to give up on making pins for an easier money making operation. I don't really care as theres enough out there to last me the rest of my life and I really enjoy PinFX, the new Doom table is amazing, if I could play that with VR tech that really shines it would get a lot of playtime.

totally disagree. VR will be huge, but it won't hurt pinball. in fact, just like The Pinball Arcade, VR pinball will only stoke MORE interest in real live pinball, not less. it's probably physical pinball's best hope for hooking a new generation.

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope ur right but its tough for pinheads to not be optimistic, I mean pinball all but died in the late 90's just due to home consoles and arcade games, I doubt it would survive the rise of quality VR, the vast majority of people out there will never buy or seek out pinball machines, JMO and man do I want to be wrong.

like i said, playing a pinball machine in VR will only make people more interested in the real thing, not less. look at The Pinball Arcade and the effect it had on the hobby (me and many others are only here because of that app). Pinball's appeal is its physicality. if someone likes playing it in VR it will only make them want to play real pinball more, not less.

home consoles killed interest in dropping coins to play anything, video games and pinball alike. and now smart phones have come along and put another bullet in the brain of casual coin drop. that model's not coming back as a primary means of earning money or gaining enthusiasts.

but luckily, pinball has evolved beyond casual coin drop being a first-tier necessity. right now, it's the least successful aspect of the current pinball world, and really only makes up a small part of what's going on in the hobby today. Pinball is thriving from a perspective of in-home collecting, and thriving in terms of competitive tournaments and leagues. casual coin drop is still more or less dead and will likely remain so.

pinball's advantage is that it is uniquely physical and mechanical in a world where almost nothing is anymore. that gives it a way to genuinely stand out from other forms of gaming and entertainment. I don't think "kids today" are inherently any dumber or lazier than any previous generation. i think if exposed to pinball (through VR), a lot of them will recognize what makes it cool and amazing, same as us.

#214 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I really don't like the vinyl ANALOG argument. Yes, there are SOME people that still collect vinyl, or hold onto their physical CD's. I'd say based on all music sales, vinyl is still probably only 1-2%.

actually it accounts for 5% of all music album sales, and 10% of all physical album sales, and both its volume and relative share are growing.

vinyl-records-growth (resized).png

also, keep this in mind: the music industry does about $6 billion in sales per year. The gaming industry does about $44 billion per year. if Pinball could carve, say, a 2 percent niche out of that industry, that'd make pinball a billion dollar industry. it doesn't have to dominate or be anywhere near the most popular form of gaming in order to thrive.

#217 2 years ago

Not a chance. VR pinball will not replace actual pinball any more than The Pinball Arcade did.

#225 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

That's really an invidious comparison. A real pinball machine is a coin operated amusement device. A VR pinball "machine" would also be a coin operated amusement device.
    When you are fishing, golfing, playing tennis, auto racing or playing ping pong on a video screen, obviously it's intent is not to replace the actual activity, but to simulate it in a coin operated amusement device.

nah, it's still a simulation of a real, physical thing.

#229 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes, but something that is just a coin operated amusement in the first place. You see my point?

No. Virtual pinball doesn't replace actual physical pinball any more than WCS replaces actually playing soccer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 12.75
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 18.95
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside