(Topic ID: 168276)

Will this be the death of mechanical pinball?

By Davidus56

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by klr650
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tech Notes (resized).jpg
    Antique.jpg
    vinyl-records-growth (resized).png
    IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0688 (resized).JPG
    15697174_10154776822969882_5954354284038821530_n (resized).jpg
    87750-pinsimv2_1-2 (resized).jpg
    Oculus (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    cyberwar (resized).jpg
    04c974e18d8daa1ddb301fb93ab300ec (resized).jpg
    pawculus-virtual-reality-for-dogs-cone-extension (resized).jpg
    donut flavored tequila--Ill never get another ticket ever (resized).jpg
    Just kidding about the donut flavored tequila man (resized).jpg
    tumblr_na668jZp9l1rwjpnyo3_1280 (resized).jpg
    5124200524a19b253c1a4bd87dc4534f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#193 7 years ago

If VR pinball lowers the price of entry and increases the fan base... great! It will be good for the pinball hobby as a whole. It's not an either/or thing. The pinball pie just gets bigger for everyone.

(now summoning my inner Alan Watts)

By now you've probably noticed the increasing number of video screens which have been steadily consuming "real" things and experiences for years. Things like restaurant menus, billboards, airplane arrivals/departures, car navigation, and of course our ubiquitous smartphones which serve as the master key to this digital frontier. And yet, ironically... the more we delegate to virtualization... the more important reality becomes as we take it for granted.

Many world religions acknowledge that even their best sculptures, paintings, and writings are "tainted by imperfection" relative to the goal of translating what they consider divine. In other words, virtual reality will only ever be as good as those who create it. It will never trump direct experience... which we all seem to know and appreciate as we leave the movie theater to draw a breath in the open air outside.

One of the reasons I collect and restore EM's is because they are such a huge middle finger to this shrinking world of digitalization. Classic pinball is a shrine to "glorious maximalism"... beautiful, large, and impractical. All of those reassuring clicks, clacks, bells, and buzzes crackle like an electric campfire to gather around and engage others casually. If for only a moment.

Sitting in your home, alone, with goggles on might eventually simulate the noises and gameplay of an EM well enough... but in my experience if you are a pinball owner, you are also a pinball mechanic, and there's a little magic in that manual knowledge which translates through the machine into the experiences of others. "Real" pinball is where it all comes together.

Still, I say bring on the VR games. More pinball is more pinball.

#209 7 years ago

In the beginning of networked gaming, we assumed technology would bring us all together. It did at first (LAN parties), but soon after the debut of high-speed internet everyone split off to do their own thing. Multiplayer deathmatches are fun and popular but they're not social and rarely does cooperative play take precedence over a single-person adventure catering to your every whim.

The only exception I can think of are those fantasy-type RPG's where people team up to defeat enemies and achieve common goals.

#221 7 years ago

Ooooo that Saran Wrap/Triple Thick video... I shudder every time it comes up. Sealing loose/rotating paint chips in the wrong position is the stuff of nightmares to OCD people.

I need to contribute some EM-knowledge vids. 2017 is the year, methinks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-this-be-the-death-of-mechanical-pinball?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.