(Topic ID: 168276)

Will this be the death of mechanical pinball?

By Davidus56

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by klr650
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tech Notes (resized).jpg
    Antique.jpg
    vinyl-records-growth (resized).png
    IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0688 (resized).JPG
    15697174_10154776822969882_5954354284038821530_n (resized).jpg
    87750-pinsimv2_1-2 (resized).jpg
    Oculus (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    cyberwar (resized).jpg
    04c974e18d8daa1ddb301fb93ab300ec (resized).jpg
    pawculus-virtual-reality-for-dogs-cone-extension (resized).jpg
    donut flavored tequila--Ill never get another ticket ever (resized).jpg
    Just kidding about the donut flavored tequila man (resized).jpg
    tumblr_na668jZp9l1rwjpnyo3_1280 (resized).jpg
    5124200524a19b253c1a4bd87dc4534f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#212 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

totally disagree. VR will be huge, but it won't hurt pinball. in fact, just like The Pinball Arcade, VR pinball will only stoke MORE interest in real live pinball, not less. it's probably physical pinball's best hope for hooking a new generation.

This was more what came to mind when I saw the original post. Had I not stumbled onto Pinball Arcade (nostalgia/being reminded of how much I liked pinball), I wouldn't have ended up at TPF '15 (or the several shows after) and have 6 mechanical machines in my house right now (heck, the pieces weren't even in my face to figure out that owning a pinball machine was an option [more or less a forgotten game in general]).

#213 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The same thing was said in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s regarding computers and technology. This is four generations of the same explanation for many that were not around to see developments. The 1950s and 60s were a bit different due to limitations.
    Pinball has lived on, and continues to return.
    For those that remain collectors remain around, they will see it again.
    "Pinball is not everlasting, but eternal. It is something that is physical and visceral, and has never been successfully replicated by other amusement devices in nearly 90 years since it's modern creation."
    - TBK

You may very well be right, but the 2010s are a bit different than even the "2000s" to an extent. The amount of DIY help content on the internet has expanded greatly since the 2000s, partially due to the average person now having a capable camera that hooks up easily to a computer to load up to Youtube, etc. Thus, we now expect to find information on fixing just about anything. Owning a machine in the 90s seems as if it would have been quite daunting for the average joe, to the point of no chance of consideration. Now we have a greater sense of comfort with active forums and accessible videos to protect our investment (often times cheap/DIY).

#222 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Do we?
    There is a pinball "trap" in your belief, no offense.
    Websites and videos are not the means to teach repair skill sets.
    You cannot learn how to properly solder via a video, it takes practice.

Hence my use of the word "sense" It can most definitely be a trap, but that sense can be enough for someone to dive in (presumably with some similar repair experience if they plan to go the DIY route).

My point was that many people that (re)discover pinball (as it continues to pop up in bars and video games) will have likely already experienced the help they can get from car forums or perhaps some other hobby forum, etc. It's more widely known that help can just be a click away. That "sense" alone may motivate someone to research the possibility and risks of owning a pinball machine in the first place (and the information...is just a click away these days).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-this-be-the-death-of-mechanical-pinball?tu=medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.