(Topic ID: 168276)

Will this be the death of mechanical pinball?

By Davidus56

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by klr650
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tech Notes (resized).jpg
    Antique.jpg
    vinyl-records-growth (resized).png
    IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0688 (resized).JPG
    15697174_10154776822969882_5954354284038821530_n (resized).jpg
    87750-pinsimv2_1-2 (resized).jpg
    Oculus (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    cyberwar (resized).jpg
    04c974e18d8daa1ddb301fb93ab300ec (resized).jpg
    pawculus-virtual-reality-for-dogs-cone-extension (resized).jpg
    donut flavored tequila--Ill never get another ticket ever (resized).jpg
    Just kidding about the donut flavored tequila man (resized).jpg
    tumblr_na668jZp9l1rwjpnyo3_1280 (resized).jpg
    5124200524a19b253c1a4bd87dc4534f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Davidus56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm a big collector. I grew up on pinball and love the gameplay. I was intrigued by the early video pinball games by Zen Studios, but not particularly inspired. I played pinball in virtual reality on Occulus last night and it is uncanny how real it appears. I played the pin called 'Mars' and watched in awe as various scenes played out on the cabinet - like spider bots climbing on the sides and top.
    The early tables and screen resolution are not there yet, but they will improve. I would not be surprised if in 5 years the VR game play is so superior that mechanical pins die out. I have a pretty decent collection. Do those go up in value in 20-30 years or become boat anchors? If you haven't tried VR pinball, you need to. It is mind blowing!

#18 7 years ago

CrazyLevy, you didn't pay attention to my post. VR is impressive today, but has some limitations. In 5 years it will be mind blowing. I own 46 pins in my collection. I have played video pinball and I agree, it doesn't come close to real pins. But the VR I tried last night was incredible. You are standing at what your mind perceives as a real pinball machine. Once the table play and screen resolution improve, it will supercede the physical table. What can be done with video software will greatly surpass what can be done with a mechanical pin.

I suppose if you were alive at the turn of the 20th century (maybe u were), you would have been lambasting cars, saying they will never replace horses. Btw genius, the Atari is not the same as VR. Totally different. At least have some understanding of the differences before you spout out.

#33 7 years ago

Most of the people posting here are confusing 'video' pinball with 'virtual' pinball. They are NOT the same. THERE ARE NO RACING SIMULATORS IN VR YET! Virtual Reality and Video pinball (i.e. VPCabs) are totally different animals. Pinballfx2 is not Virtual reality.

#101 7 years ago

Actually, we are all actors in a grand simulation vis-a-vis 'Matrix' according to Elon Musk. There is no way to disprove this and, in fact, the qualities of quantum mechanics lend credence to that argument. Reality is not 'rendered' until it is 'observed'. So for all of you saying a pinball simulation can't match the real thing.... You are already in, and part of, the simulation fools!

1 week later
    #145 7 years ago

Virtual pinball will never match physical pinball - agree
    Virtual Reality pinball will not only match it, it will surpass it. I have 46 pins in my collection. They cost a lot to own, maintain and house. Virtual reality pinball takes no space. Gameplay is novel, but too easy. That will be adjusted in the software as developers tweak and learn the medium.
    Again, STOP confusing Virtual Pinball for Virtul Reality pinball. They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Also see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vrcade

#149 7 years ago

Anyone who seriously thinks VR is a fad, is not thinking, seriously.

#151 7 years ago

Sadsack, you nailed it, in the butt. Sad.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Davidus56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-this-be-the-death-of-mechanical-pinball?tu=Davidus56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.