(Topic ID: 195926)

Will there be remakes of machines like MB, TZ, and TAF?

By Connor

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xanth68
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5031 (resized).PNG
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Is it likely that there will be remakes of more popular Williams/Bally machines like MB, TZ, TAF, etc?

#2 6 years ago

From what I understand highly unlikely as licensing issues would be a real issue.

#3 6 years ago

MB yes
TZ no
TAF no

IMHO but I'd be surprised if I am wrong. MBr early next year by CGC.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

From what I understand highly unlikely as licensing issues would be a real issue.

I'm a big twilight zone fan but the reliability of an older machine compared to a NIB puts me off.

#5 6 years ago

MB - yes, widely expected to be PPS's next game.

TZ - licensing should be feasible, Pinball Arcade paved the way on licensing so no reason it couldn't be done. Legendary high BOM might be an issue.

TAF - licensing could be trickier (Pinball Arcade got everyone on board but Christopher Lloyd and Pugsley, so if they're either holding out for unreasonable sums or don't want their images recreated for religious reasons, this might never fly)

My response to anyone that throws down licensing as an insurmountable barrier for a particular remake is to go look on Pinball Arcade. If they made it, it's probably doable. If they didn't (i.e. Indiana Jones), they probably tried and failed, which means licensing could potentially be an insurmountable problem.

#6 6 years ago

If you consider the sheer quantity of TZ and TAF that were produced, it's hard to imagine that there is justification to build and sell a thousand new ones.

Not sure about MB, our community certainly loves that title, but there were other WPC95 titles that weren't licensed which could be reproduced for less of a hassle.

Personally I'd love to see CGC prove their merit by developing a new title or bringing BBB or Kingpin back.

#7 6 years ago

If they do MB. I hope it gets the big screen. And big monsters on top bouncing up and down like on AFMRLE.

LTG : )

#9 6 years ago
#10 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If they do MB. I hope it gets the big screen. And big monsters on top bouncing up and down like on AFMRLE.
LTG : )

What you ment to say:
If they do Scared Stiff. I hope it gets the big screen. And big boobs on top bouncing up and down like on AFMRLE

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

If you consider the sheer quantity of TZ and TAF that were produced, it's hard to imagine that there is justification to build and sell a thousand new ones.

I respectfully disagree. NIB is NIB and a 25 year old blown out game is a 25 year old blown game. There is a market for NIB TAF's and TZ'a if they are made. There are a lot of buyers in pinball right now that are scared of old routes machines but would love a TAF in their collection.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I respectfully disagree. NIB is NIB and a 25 year old blown out game is a 25 year old blown game. There is a market for NIB TAF's and TZ'a if they are made. There are a lot of buyers in pinball right now that are scared of old routes machines but would love a TAF in their collection.

I agree; I've owned TAF and would still buy a TAFr as long as it was true to the original and has the topper! They are kind of hard to find for a reasonable price right now

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Connor:

I'm a big twilight zone fan but the reliability of an older machine compared to a NIB puts me off.

My TZ and TAF have been maintenance free for the last 6 years and they are original non restored in great condition. Repairs to boards and parts are easy. I wouldn't let the fact they aren't new steer you away. I'm sure the vast majority who already own these titles would agree

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

My TZ and TAF have been maintenance free for the last 6 years and they are original non restored in great condition. Repairs to boards and parts are easy. I wouldn't let the fact they aren't new steer you away. I'm sure the vast majority who already own these titles would agree

Ya they agree because they would not want to see a remake and hurt the original machines value

#15 6 years ago

Agreed ... my tz has been issue free for the 3 years ive had it. I dont see them doing tz or taf due to the b.o.m and licensing on top of that. If they did the price wld b crazy high imo as they have a lot of complex parts /and more of them compared to the current remakes.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya they agree because they would not want to see a remake and hurt the original machines value

U can pick up both in great condition under 6k ...... a remake wld be considerably more.

#17 6 years ago

I read somewhere, maybe in the pps forums, that TAF was one of the machines talked about in regards to remakes. I believe it was from rick as well. Again it sounded more like they discussed it and nothing is set in stone in regards to it.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U can pick up both in great condition under 6k ...... a remake wld be considerably more.

So brand new game for 6500-7000 or trying to find a old one that is in good condition for around 6000. Lots would buy new

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

So brand new game for 6500-7000 or trying to find a old one that is in good condition for around 6000. Lots would buy new

Id bet tz and taf wld b much more..... much more complex than current remakes and then u have licensing and tz is a widebody....

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Id bet tz and taf wld b much more.....

Ya tz probably would. Idk about TAF. Original standard tafr 6999? No idea just guessing based off of afmr numbers

#21 6 years ago

Never say never

If PPS can produce and sell enough to make a profit, anything is possible. I don't think TAF or TZ would be considered for at least three years. They have MB, maybe CC coming? One title I think they will never remake is STTNG. The widebody is probably the most complex machine in terms of build materials and design.

#22 6 years ago

Rick said in the seminar that they would produce the Addams family , even though as it was pointed out they produced 20,000 originally he hoped to sale 2000 .

#23 6 years ago

I hope they do to Star Trek Next Generation as they did to the Attack from Mars LE.

#24 6 years ago

I don't think PPS is going to re-release any games that are not currently, routinely selling for 7k plus.

#25 6 years ago

They should remake cactus jack

#26 6 years ago

I think PPS should do MB, and then IJ-if they can get the license? I would want an IJ before a CC, but beggers can't be choosers.

#27 6 years ago

I love seeing games that are hard to find being remade. Games like TZ and TAF don't really fall into the hard to find/expensive category like a MM, AFM, MB, CC. I just can't see them doing a remake on either of those, at least for awhile. Maybe when they're done with MB and CC, games like TZ and TAF will go up in price and justify a remake.

#28 6 years ago

Why would they not just retheme TAF (or other roadblocked game) to something new as a way of dealing work licensing road blocks? Same layout, rules, game play, just different artwork?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from asrtiv1:

Games like TZ and TAF don't really fall into the hard to find/expensive category like a MM, AFM, MB, CC.

I don't think it matters too much how many are out in the wild or the fact that TAF, and TZ don't sell for over $7K very often. The reason is because most of all the samples left in the wild are beat and most likely, heavily routed. Trying to find a mint TAF is actually pretty difficult to find. I think they will sell a considerable amount of both TAF, and TZ because people will want one in pristine condition.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

I read somewhere, maybe in the pps forums, that TAF was one of the machines talked about in regards to remakes. I believe it was from rick as well. Again it sounded more like they discussed it and nothing is set in stone in regards to it.

Rick has been spouting this stuff for years mainly to try and alter perception and keep people from buying games that he could later try and remake. It is just how he works and sad that he thinks it is the way he needs to do business.

Keep in mind that ANY game that currently can already be purchase easily for 6k or under and they claim for remake is likely YEARS away at best. When it does come, it will eppeal to the NIB market but games with 10kplus in cirrculation are not hard to find in good refurbished condition. My quesiton is, why wait?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

TAF - licensing could be trickier (Pinball Arcade got everyone on board but Christopher Lloyd and Pugsley, so if they're either holding out for unreasonable sums or don't want their images recreated for religious reasons, this might never fly)

From what I remember reading, Christopher Lloyd's agent was asking too much for licensing, so it wasn't feasible for pinball arcade. The actor who played Pugsley (Jimmy Workman) wanted too much to license his image, so that wasn't feasible for pinball arcade either.

I would guess that a fully licensed TAF pinball machine would be much more feasible than a fully licensed $5 digital table.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I don't think it matters too much how many are out in the wild or the fact that TAF, and TZ don't sell for over $7K very often. The reason is because most of all the samples left in the wild are beat and most likely, heavily routed. Trying to find a mint TAF is actually pretty difficult to find. I think they will sell a considerable amount of both TAF, and TZ because people will want one in pristine condition.

This! I would be number one in line for a NIB TZ with all the prototype features and play for $8K.

#33 6 years ago

Man I would easily buy a MB and TAF right now, if they remade them. Im pretty sure MB is on the agenda.. but there are so many TAF out there its crazy. tons of them!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

but there are so many TAF out there its crazy. tons of them!

Even though there were 20k of them made, I actually don't see them pop up too often any more. Even routed examples don't go cheap.

#35 6 years ago

I would think that the driving factor to which games are made (beyond licensing) is how much demand there is for the title and what the title will cost to produce. CGC has an assembly line now, so they can conceivably produce any game. TAF is hard to find despite its production number because folks typically don’t want to sell them. And the ones you do find are well worn.

Time will tell.

#36 6 years ago

I'd be surprised to see TZ and TAF reproduced with 15,235 and 20,270 units respectively. PPS will go for the low hanging fruit like MB, CC, ToTan.

A total longshot but totally cool would be a kit for Wizard Blocks preferably finished by Pat.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Rick said in that PP forum post that it would be hard to justify making TAF because so many were produced during the original run.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I'd be surprised to see TZ and TAF reproduced with 15,235 and 20,270 units respectively.

Why not? Those games are still wildly popular and still go for hefty sums. I see games with much lower production numbers more often than I do these two titles.

Most people hang on to them long-term, so they don't seem to surface all that frequently--especially for bargain prices.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think PPS should do MB, and then IJ-if they can get the license? I would want an IJ before a CC, but beggers can't be choosers.

+1

#40 6 years ago

Both MB and BBB would be great!

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

They should remake cactus jack

Cactus Jack? I'm in! Did you mean Cactus Canyon? I'd be in on that too.

Praying for Monster Bash with the big color screen. I think I'd buy two - one for home and one for the office!

#42 6 years ago

I think any widebody is much less likely for a remake candidate. The margins just wouldn't be as good, so it probably doesn't make economical sense.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Both MB and BBB would be great!

I'm not buying pinball anymore, but I'd prob break my pin-celibacy for BBBr

#44 6 years ago

IMG_5031 (resized).PNGIMG_5031 (resized).PNG

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Why not? Those games are still wildly popular and still go for hefty sums. I see games with much lower production numbers more often than I do these two titles.
Most people hang on to them long-term, so they don't seem to surface all that frequently--especially for bargain prices.

Why not? Its been pointed out several times now - 15k-20k production is not as rare as 3K-4K production game. TZ would probably be the last pin remade not because of popularity but because of the added cost of wide body cabinets and playfield. MB, CC, ToTan and a few others are equally or more sought after and an easy win.

There's less of every classic title now a days. There's even less bargains to be had.

#46 6 years ago

Id prefer CGC pick up Wooly and have it made!

#47 6 years ago

I would love to see (and would likely be in on) some older classics:
High Speed
Taxi
Diner
Whirlwind
Earthshaker
Funhouse
F-14 Tomcat - or - Bride of Pinbot
In many respects this might be an ultimate alpha-numeric lineup....

#48 6 years ago

Some are still waiting for them to remake basic parts, like ramps for games like Judge Dredd.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Some are still waiting for them to remake basic parts, like ramps for games like Judge Dredd.

Probably not enough money to be made?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Probably not enough money to be made?

Oh yeah, I forgot that some aren't in this just for the love of pinball or the hobby.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 180.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-there-be-remakes-of-machines-like-mb-tz-and-taf?hl=n80g80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.