(Topic ID: 211490)

Will there be a 2018 Pingame Journal calendar?

By Pinballer73

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

With it now being early March and no sign of a Pingame Journal calendar, has anyone heard if there will in fact be one this year? Can't ever remember it being this late before.

#2 1 year ago

I subscribed two years ago and resigned myself to it being an annual calendar subscription. Still holding out hope for 2018 but it is fading fast.

#3 1 year ago

Website says Feb 2018 issue was mailed and is the 2018 calendar edition.

#4 1 year ago

Hope is restored!

#5 1 year ago

Who cares? I can get my own calendar for "free" at my insurance agents. I don't care about the pictures I just need any calendar for the actual calendar itself. I'd much rather have a magazine to read. Needless to say when my superscription runs out I will not be renewing, but at this rate it will be like 3-4 more years of calenders.......

John

1 week later
    #6 1 year ago

FWIW, I received the 2018 calendar edition during the last few days.

Pinball Expo is listed as such. No mention of Pinball Palooza.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

FWIW, I received the 2018 calendar edition during the last few days.
    Pinball Expo is listed as such. No mention of Pinball Palooza.

and this surprised you how? the calendars were probably printed months ago
    last time I spoke with jim schelberg, he was still perfecting his time travel device

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

and this surprised you how? the calendars were probably printed months ago
    last time I spoke with jim schelberg, he was still perfecting his time travel device

Perhaps he could use it to get the calendars out in a reasonable time frame?

#9 1 year ago

Just got my 2018 calendar. This is the weirdest magazine subscription ever. Haha

#10 1 year ago

People still subscribe? WOW!

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Hope is restored!

Yup, got mine too!

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

All i did was make the initial subscription. The rest has just happened randomly. Haha

#13 1 year ago

I think Ive heard comments from them that the magazine will come out when it comes out. You may get 4 issues in a year or 1 - LOL.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I think Ive heard comments from them that the magazine will come out when it comes out. You may get 4 issues in a year or 1 - LOL.

I didn’t get anything for a year. Then I got a care package of all their issues from inception. Haha.

#15 1 year ago

I've heard that pinball is hard. so I would guess that pinball magazines are harder (and pinball books even harder still if the kickstarter is anything to go by

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I have one more Calendar, er I mean "issue" to go and then I'm all done renewing. Sad to see it come down to this since I've been a subscriber for about the last 20 years I'm guessing and I've searched out pretty much all the issues before I started subscribing as well. It's just that I don't need to spend the money on a calendar and maybe one or two issues a year if I'm lucky so I'm done with it. If I'm wrong someone talk me into renewing my subscription.

John

#17 1 year ago

It's a shame since there's plenty of content to print. Maybe someone else should take over for Jim?
    I really liked the EM content when Clay Harrell filled in a few issues probably a bunch of years ago. The format is a lot better than the other pin mag. That one's more like a book.

#18 1 year ago

Maybe is because print is becoming a really tough business? Like poppapin mentioned there's ton of content to put out but to put it in print form takes time, and a huge amount of effort to get it in peoples mail boxes physically. Not a lot of mags out there covering the genre except Pinball Mag. Gameroom Mag covers pins once and a while but they scaled back from 4 issues a year to 2. I know I'm not going to get the most up to the minute update on things but I like to have something to put in my hands to look at.

#19 1 year ago

I remember when i did the PGJ for about 10 months a number of years ago. It was a TON of work doing a print magazine. Special software and learning how to use it, doing articles in the correct size and formats, placing ads, man it was intense. Jim didn't make it easier either, but that's another story.

In today's world, it's easier to have a blog and post stuff in a blog. It gets out to people faster and it's way cheaper and way quicker and way less work. I think each issue Jim printed was about $3000+ once you included the actual printing and the mailing costs. That's a crapload of money! Back then I was putting out issues about one every 6 to 8 weeks and Jim was getting mad, because that's $3000+ each issue, and he couldn't keep up with the money! The advertising $ was coming, but not fast enough to cover the costs. If it were me i would have handled the money differently, but he had a system, and unfortunately that system depended on issues coming out a lot slower!

I should point out the whole reason i took on the editor job was that Jim got cancer. He needed to concentrate on fixing that. Frankly i don't think that ever really got "fixed", and it makes for a very tired Jim...

#20 1 year ago

I got my calendar.

One of the reasons to continue the printed/mailed format is so that flyers can be included in the envelope. We had others kinds of inserted goodies in the past, too.
    .................David Marston

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I got my calendar.
    One of the reasons to continue the printed/mailed format is so that flyers can be included in the envelope. We had others kinds of inserted goodies in the past, too.

Maybe in the past but I was never one of the lucky ones to get anything more then a flyer and frankly I could have cared less about those as well.

John

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I got my calendar.

You looked forward to receiving it in the mail!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 64.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.00
    $ 10.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Magical Productions
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside