(Topic ID: 208570)

Will the impact of a stapler crack clear coat?

By mrm_4

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

210DFFC0-7EBD-4C6F-8DB4-98EB7846C30F (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm replacing the GI braided wire under the playfield. But I'm also about to the the playfield clear coated. Should I replace all the wire first? Just worried about the impact of the stapler hitting the back of the playfield causing the clear to crack on the front. Or is this not an issue?

#2 6 years ago

Other than the wire I guess I'll be stapling in new light sockets too, so seems like I'll have to staple one way or another after the clear coating anyway.

#3 6 years ago

It would seem to me that the wood would diffuse the force to a fairly even vibration so the force of the staple gun isn't entirely reaching the surface above, and it would be less than what comes from the shaker motors built into some pins. I'd think it's low risk. Sounds like you'll find out anyway.

#4 6 years ago

If a hammer putting t-nuts in the back of a play field doesn’t crack the clear.. (it doesn’t), you’re good with a stapler!

#5 6 years ago

I replace the braided wire sockets with the newer two wire sockets when I restore a game. It’s safer as you don’t have a bare wire that can get shorted, doesn’t pop out when you change a bulb (like stapled ones can sometimes), and the bulb can sit lower to the playfield like the newer games.

...unless you’re a purist and want to keep it original. If so, I would do it while the clear is still “soft” (after a couple of weeks) vs 6 months later.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I replace the braided wire sockets with the newer two wire sockets when I restore a game. It’s safer as you don’t have a bare wire that can get shorted, doesn’t pop out when you change a bulb (like stapled ones can sometimes), and the bulb can sit lower to the playfield like the newer games.
    ...unless you’re a purist and want to keep it original. If so, I would do it while the clear is still “soft” (after a couple of weeks) vs 6 months later.

You got a pic of this I can see with the 2-wire set up?

#7 6 years ago

I would think that if the constant impacts of a heavy steel ball hitting it directly doesn't hurt it, the click of staples going in on the other side wouldn't.

#8 6 years ago

^good point

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

You got a pic of this I can see with the 2-wire set up?

Not on my phone - I’m travelling...but I’m sure someone else can help out.

One other thing I didn’t mention - you can only replace a stapled light from the top (unless you unstaple) - whereas lights with a screw can be replaced under the playfield.

I do have a recent pic showing old style socket height to new style. The new style allows for more light spread.

210DFFC0-7EBD-4C6F-8DB4-98EB7846C30F (resized).jpeg210DFFC0-7EBD-4C6F-8DB4-98EB7846C30F (resized).jpeg

#10 6 years ago

I personally would hold off on clear coating until you have done all the other work to the underside of the playfield. Your taking a chance on scratching or damaging the new clear coat otherwise...My experience has been that stapling under a freshly cleared playfield does not damage the clear however I am usually only stapling a few wires.. not an entire harness.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-the-impact-of-a-stapler-crack-clear-coat?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.