(Topic ID: 109737)

Will Terminator: Genisys be Ritchie's next pin?

By Captain_Kirk

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by T7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have no idea, but these facts make it interesting!

1. Rumor has it that Ritchie is out of rotation again and Trudeau will be making Stern's next game. That puts Ritchie's game out in late summer or fall of 2015. Terminator Genisys comes out in theaters on July 1st, 2015.

2. Ritchie likes revisiting his themes. He has done so with High Speed, Star Trek, Black Knight, and of course two Terminator pins so far.

3. Terminator: Genisys is being produced by Skydance Productions and Paramount, the same team that made Star Trek into Darkness. So a recent relationship is already there between Stern and the licensor.

4. Stern posted a pic of Ritchie holding up a "Man of Steel" DVD a few months back. The prompted some to speculate about a Superman pin, but I don't think so. A summer/fall Superman pin is 2 years removed from the 2013 movie, and an entire year before Batman v. Superman comes out. What if "Man of Steel" was a inside joke about the Terminator? After all, he IS a man of steel!

I believe this pin will also put Lyman and Ritchie back into rotation, whatever the theme winds up being.

Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

Nah. They won't be going to the Terminator well again, that's all tapped out. It's not like t3 was a hit for Stern.

The movie is gonna blow and will not be a pinball-worthy hit. Arnold is gonna play a foster-dad Terminator grandpa for christs sake.

That's not a joke. He's gonna be Sarah conner's Aging Foster dad.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nah. They won't be going to the Terminator well again, that's all tapped out. It's not like t3 was a hit for Stern.
    The movie is gonna blow and will not be a pinball-worthy hit. Arnold is gonna play a foster-dad Terminator grandpa for christs sake.
    That's not a joke. He's gonna be Sarah conner's Aging Foster dad.

We don't know that the movie is going to blow. Everyone is quick to write it off, but the premise seems interesting. There's going to be a "Back to the Future Part II" element to the story, revisiting the events of the first movie from a different angle.

It's being directed by Alan Taylor, who has done great work on Game of Thrones, and recently directed the Thor sequel, which was vastly superior to the first one.

#4 9 years ago

I think your points are well thought out and reasonable. But the Terminator license is no Star Trek.

I just don't see it happening.

#5 9 years ago

The Terminator franchise was ruined by Terminator Salvation. I think that may have been the most disappointing film I've ever seen. I wonder how many others won't even give the new film a chance as a result.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

The Terminator franchise was ruined by Terminator Salvation. I think that may have been the most disappointing film I've ever seen. I wonder how many others won't even give the new film a chance as a result.

True...the movie has to overcome that train wreck. This movie will rise or fall on how well Arnold's return to the fraschise elevates it over Salvation.

#7 9 years ago

Stern seems like they don't particularly like taking on new movies. One look at the undervalued/bang-for-buck lists shows a graveyard of great games based on flops: JM, JD, DM. It's simply too big a risk.
    Stern wants to focus on no-risk, tried-and-true themes off established hits or bands with decades-long fan bases.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from scp:

Stern seems like they don't particularly like taking on new movies. One look at the undervalued/bang-for-buck lists shows a graveyard of great games based on flops: JM, JD, DM. It's simply too big a risk.
    Stern wants to focus on no-risk, tried-and-true themes off established hits or bands with decades-long fan bases.

And the Terminator series doesn't have a decade long fan base?

#9 9 years ago

Hmmmm.. I thought Terminator Salvation was great.

#10 9 years ago

I'd like to see something fresh from Ritchie.

#11 9 years ago

It could be cool, but I hope if Steve Ritchie does another Terminator that he makes it very different from the last 2. I really like Star Trek playing homage to STTNG - mostly same layout but a standard body. But something different would be better for another Terminator.

I don't think Stern will do it, but IMHO it would be cool if...

- Make it a Wide-Body with LOTS of shots, and 3 or 4 flippers
    - Cover the entire series (not just the new movie)
    - Use spinners for major scoring opportunities - gun shots
    - Small color LCD (4"-5") somewhere on playfield - SkyNet / Computer Assistant
    --- Show interactive video messages (not all the time) with game play
    --- Some messages would be from the computer assistant
    --- Other messages would be SkyNet transmissions
    - Use a Shaker Motor for lots of explosions!

Far out ideas...
    - Fire button on lockdown - for Defense as well as Shooting
    --- User has to hit fire button to trigger kickback (only if kickback is lit)
    - Kick backs on BOTH outlanes - independently re-lit by user skill

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-terminator-genisys-be-ritchies-next-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.