(Topic ID: 228934)

Will Stern Star Wars and/or BM66 Be Too Difficult For Me?

By rogerdodger

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by AUKraut
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 months ago

Hi Guys:

I really like the look of Stern Star Wars and Batman 66 but where I live, it is very difficult to find games to play.

My concern for both of these games is, will they be too complicated or too deep for me?

I am 70 years old and have owned pinball machines since I was a teenager. Back then they were simple e/m games and I have watched them evolve into today's masterpieces.

I really don't care for, or still have the time and patience for, pins that need a lot of thought and skillful play to enjoy the game.

To give you an idea, among the pins I have previously owned are pins like SS, TAF, Stern POTC, etc., etc. I really like this level of play, as I can progress nicely if I put in a little effort or still enjoy the pin, if I just want to knock the ball around.

I currently have ToM, Stern POTC and have a MBr on order.

Taking into account all of the above, will I tire of Star Wars and/or BM66, just due to the thought and skill needed to get deep into and enjoy the game? I don't mind deep games, as long as it is not necessary to complete the depth to enjoy the games.

Please respond to my question about these 2 games only, as I am not looking for advice on other games.

Lastly, if I should get a Star Wars, would I enjoy both the pro and premium as much as each other, bearing in mind the above, or would it need to be a premium.

Thank you, in advance, for your input.

#2 6 months ago

I have a MB and TOM... as well as BM66 and SW (a pro, which I sold last year, but am picking up a premium this week as I ended up missing it a lot).

Both Sterns you mentioned are pretty fast paced and punish you harshly for missed shots. Lots of hurry ups as well. And yes, a fair amount of complexity in the code for both. Love them, but I'm also a masochist who enjoys punishing games as well as simpler flow-y ones.

The three games you called out that you own are super smooth shooting and intuitive... fun in a box for players of all levels!

If you're going to go for one Stern over the other, I'd go for Batman 66. It's deep, but really not that complicated... pick a mode, shoot the lit shots, repeat. Lots of stuff to discover without having to read an encyclopedia of rules.

My recommend? Grab a Dialed In if you're looking for something more modern. I think it would suit your needs very well.

#3 6 months ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Please respond to my question about these 2 games only, as I am not looking for advice on other games.

Woops, please ignore the Dialed In bit

#4 6 months ago

I'm not a great player but I think they would work. I have the SW pro and it takes time to learn but you can add longer ball save etc. I'm very happy with the pro. I have played BM66 on location and really enjoy it. BM66 is more than I want to spend and I at my limit anyway.

On Sw I heard it's easier to make the death star shot on the pro, it's an important shot so another reason other than cost I went with the pro.

Side note, I was playing and thinking about SW for almost a year before I bought it. I kept wanting to play it on location even though most games I stunk at it.

#5 6 months ago

I would not buy either until you can play them both. I did not like SW after I played it at a show. Same went for TNA. I would have been severely bummed had I bought either before playing them. Loved Iron Maiden even though I had no intention of liking it. I'd suggest you go to the closest show. You'll have a blast, it isn't that expensive, and you can make up your mind as to what you'd really like to have at your house. Beats making a 6.5K mistake.

This is coming your way: the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) show November 13th-16th in Orlando

#6 6 months ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hi Guys:
    I really like the look of Stern Star Wars and Batman 66 but where I live, it is very difficult to find games to play.
    My concern for both of these games is, will they be too complicated or too deep for me?
    I am 70 years old and have owned pinball machines since I was a teenager. Back then they were simple e/m games and I have watched them evolve into today's masterpieces.
    I really don't care for, or still have the time and patience for, pins that need a lot of thought and skillful play to enjoy the game.
    To give you an idea, among the pins I have previously owned are pins like SS, TAF, Stern POTC, etc., etc. I really like this level of play, as I can progress nicely if I put in a little effort or still enjoy the pin, if I just want to knock the ball around.
    I currently have ToM, Stern POTC and have a MBr on order.
    Taking into account all of the above, will I tire of Star Wars and/or BM66, just due to the thought and skill needed to get deep into and enjoy the game? I don't mind deep games, as long as it is not necessary to complete the depth to enjoy the games.
    Lastly, if I should get a Star Wars, would I enjoy both the pro and premium as much as each other, bearing in mind the above, or would it need to be a premium.
    Thank you, in advance, for your input.

SW & BM66 are complete polar opposites of each other.

SW is tough and brutal with a very unorthodox ruleset. It’s not straightforward, or easy to play or learn. These are the elements that I enjoy for home use as they keep me coming back, but for some, it’s just frustration and not a good experience. So chalk SW to the challenging difficult department if that’s what you’re after.

BM66 is simple with long ball times which gives it a more friendlier appeal. However, it is overpriced IMO.

If you’re spending stern premium $ on a new pin, then you’re almost in JJP territory which offer a lot more game and value for the price.

Conclusion, if you want something brutal, tough, and different (rules wise); go with SW PRO. If you want something easier and more appealing, go BM66 however, at that price point I’d skip BM66 and go for a JJP game like Dialed In or JJPOTC.

#7 6 months ago

I dislike all the games you said you like, and I like SW for those reasons. BM66 didn't seem nearly as complicated when I played it. There's a good amount of stuff in there, but you don't need to really know it. Just shoot shots and you'll do ok. SW punishes you for not knowing what's going on.

#8 6 months ago

If find both games fairly easy when set up with the outlanes in the lower section. BM66 will require more thought to play as the rules aren't real intuitive especially when you have multiple things going on. SW does a good job of explaining what to do on the mini screen and you can stumble into most modes. The strategy there is with shot multipliers but those aren't necessary with progression of modes outside of blowing up your score.

Me personally I'd go BM66 because I like the mode strategy it requires but fir you I think you would be happier with a SW pro. Bonus is they are about 2 to 2.5k cheaper too.

#9 6 months ago

Cannot speak on BM66 but I have a SW pro. It to me is a combination of Iron Man (speed) and GOT ( lots of rules). I have a buddy with an LE and it is a beautiful machine.
    I bought the pro NIB due to the discount versus a premium. Not sorry.
    You can buy used at a discount of NIB but the price difference will still be n the 1500 to 2K range.

#10 6 months ago

I own both. To me BM66 is much easier to grasp the rules on and much more "fun" to play as well.

#11 6 months ago

I own both and love them both for different reasons. From your description, I think you will enjoy Batman more.

Star Wars is a brutal, punishing game. It is very fast with tight, difficult shots and not much to interact with on the playfield. The rules are a very good, but a bit harder to grasp, and the action button is relied on heavily which adds additional complexity. There is a deep level of strategy with character selection, path selection, mode stacking choices, etc. This is a game is heavy on adrenaline and excitement and can leave you exhausted after a good game.

Batman is a much less punishing layout with more interesting shots and "toys" to interact with. The rules are deep, but easy to comprehend and advance in the game. There are choices to be made and strategies to form, but not in as complex of a way as SW. This game would be easier to simply bat the ball around (pun intended?) and still advance relatively easily towards one of the wizard modes and have a great time. Then there is plenty of other depth available if you choose to go deeper. It is a "lighter" feeling game if that makes sense. Batman is more of a casual game whereas Star Wars feels more like an intense battle.

I'm not sure you could pick more completely opposite games from the current generation! They compliment each other well if you would ever consider having both. Good luck with the choice!

#12 6 months ago

Any game can be set up dumb enough and easy enough as you want. I think you'd be fine.

Just turn on ballsaves longer, close up posts etc.

#13 6 months ago

I have both games. Either can be played without a lot of "thought", but I think Star Wars may frustrate you as it is punishingly fast-paced and scoring can seem arbitrary if you don't want to take the time to learn how best to play it. Casual players walk up to my SW and play one game without much satisfaction. Batman however may be a really good choice for you. The game is slower, the lights for the shots are all fairly obvious, the theme integration is very strong, and there doesn't have to be much strategy in how you play it. I think you can get as deep into that game as you'd like, as opposed to Star Wars that makes you learn it to get the most out of it.

For what it's worth, if you did get a SW then I think the pro shoots better but you'd be inclined to keep a premium longer due to the added difficulty of the deathstar shot and the spectacle of the hyper loop.

Good luck on your purchase.

#14 6 months ago

Batman appears to do a better job of telling you what you’re supposed to shoot next. I have not really been able to get into SW because you have to read the rules beforehand to really get anywhere. I will say the Hyperspace thing is absolutely incredible

#15 6 months ago

Thanks for all of the detailed responses, guys:

Looks like it's a BM66 for me!

#16 6 months ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Thanks for all of the detailed responses, guys:
    Looks like it's a BM66 for me!

Smart Choice, BM66 replaced SWPremium at my house, and BM66 is bolted to the floor.....too much fun to play!! Check out the BM66 thread here on Pinside, lots of good info in it...

#17 6 months ago

I've been playing/owning pins for over 50 years and BM66 has slowly become my all time favorite game.

So many different ways to play and so much fun. I'm an average player and I scored over 3.5 Billion and made it almost through Season 2 of the major villains last night.

Seeing others post 35 Billion plus scores keeps it in perspective, though.

Congrats...you're gonna love it!

#18 6 months ago

Yes.

#19 6 months ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

where I live, it is very difficult to find games to play.

http://silverballmuseum.com/delray-beach/
    19 NE 3rd Ave., Delray Beach, FL 33483

Mapbox says this is 14 minutes from Boynton Beach.

#20 6 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I've been playing/owning pins for over 50 years and BM66 has slowly become my all time favorite game.
    So many different ways to play and so much fun. I'm an average player and I scored over 3.5 Billion and made it almost through Season 2 of the major villains last night.
    Seeing others post 35 Billion plus scores keeps it in perspective, though.
    Congrats...you're gonna love it!

Escher Lefkoff put up 408 Billion live on stream last night, it was crazy to watch.

#21 6 months ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Escher Lefkoff put up 408 Billion live on stream last night, it was crazy to watch.

How long did that game last? Got a VOD link?

For BM66 owners, would it make sense to setup the game brutally to cut down the long ball times? Meaning, can you still progress fairly well and keep the games depth with having <15 minute game times?

#22 6 months ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

http://silverballmuseum.com/delray-beach/
    19 NE 3rd Ave., Delray Beach, FL 33483
    Mapbox says this is 14 minutes from Boynton Beach.

Thanks for this.

I have been to this place many times but, what I should have said, is that there is not a BM66 or SW for me to see/play around where I live.

Pinball museum is great but, mostly, EM.

#23 6 months ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Smart Choice, BM66 replaced SWPremium at my house, and BM66 is bolted to the floor.....too much fun to play!! Check out the BM66 thread here on Pinside, lots of good info in it...

So, the next question is, do I get the Premium (still available NIB) or look out for a HUO LE?

Aside from bling, is the LE much better to own over the Premium?

#24 6 months ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

How long did that game last? Got a VOD link?
    For BM66 owners, would it make sense to setup the game brutally to cut down the long ball times? Meaning, can you still progress fairly well and keep the games depth with having &lt;15 minute game times?

Here ya go. Final game starts around the 45 minute mark and lasts about an hour. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/333031132##

#25 6 months ago

Premium is the way to go. They play identically.

#26 6 months ago

With the games you have listed I would get a No Good Gophers because the rules are simple.
    But if you're looking at modern Sterns I would consider Aerosmith because the rules are pretty simple.
    Ghostbusters pro(without the magna slings) would be my other suggestion because the rules are very straightforward and linear. Kind of like Capcom Pinball Magic. Ghostbusters has tougher shots but rules are easy to follow, and it sounds like your a decent player so that wouldn't be an issue.
    If I had to choose between the two: it would be Batman all day based off your criteria.

#27 6 months ago

BM66 sounds like the right choice but I do like both games. BM66 definitely has the better theme integration and I think it is easier to learn rules. Scoring seems pretty complex, though. I don't know how some guys get billions of points. SW surprised me on how fun it is. It is a brutal game for sure. Tough to learn rules on a game like that where you are so focused on keeping the ball in play. If you wait a little while, you probably can find one relatively cheap used.

#28 6 months ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

So, the next question is, do I get the Premium (still available NIB) or look out for a HUO LE?
    Aside from bling, is the LE much better to own over the Premium?

Gameplay is identical on the two, and you can mod up the Premium to near LE levels without spending LE money. The only difference will be translite & cabinet artwork, and the missing topper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 0.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 82.00
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 50.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 21.00
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside