(Topic ID: 281987)

Will Stern return to full RGB lighting design?

By Dkjimbo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200721_192455 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

For their time, Star Trek and game of thrones light shows blew people away and in large part I think have helped support the games continued popularity. Yes, GOT is less revered than Star Trek but let’s just stick to light shows for this discussion.

What happened? Why did Stern abandon the full RGB model? Think of what could have been done to improve games like Star Wars, even with the so-so layout.

People are attracted to the shiny object. JJP is proving that now after having blown away the entire industry with the GNR light package. Will a non-full RGB game ever compare moving forward?

In my opinion Stern has no choice but to immediately return to the full RGB template, they have the tech, the coding capability, shouldn’t be too hard of a reach. Doesn’t require any new innovation on their part and will make their games, even with no other foundational change, stand up better next to the likes of GNR.

#2 3 years ago

I do think the two light-rails? paired with the other lights look spectacular in GnR and they fit the concert theme. I'm not convinced this kind of super mega lightshow fits every type/theme of pin though. Let's say TAF had this kind of insane lights... nah would have killed the spooky theme completely (or made it into a psycho-disco house).

I would prefer if not all pins from now on had this as sometimes less is more.

#3 3 years ago

I don't like the JJP light shows, and I think Stern has made the right decision dialing it back a bit. (Of course, my Star Trek is but a mere Pro.)

I'm sure that you'll disagree with me, and that's OK -- I just don't think Stern feels that full RGB is a foregone conclusion, and I agree with them.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I do think the two light-rails? paired with the other lights look spectacular in GnR and they fit the concert theme. I'm not convinced this kind of super mega lightshow fits every type/theme of pin though. Let's say TAF had this kind of insane lights... nah would have killed the spooky theme completely (or made it into a psycho-disco house).
    I would prefer if not all pins from now on had this as sometimes less is more.

Addams family is 30 years old. I’m not talking about retrofitting classics. I’m talking about holding market share and buyer attention in the face of renewed competition on a major component of pinball design in the present and future. The initial reaction over in the GNR threads is almost unilaterally positive and talk of “every other game looks old” next to it. I think stern does a lot of things right but there has been a ground shift under the feet of the industry since GNR was revealed and it has a lot to do with that light show.

#5 3 years ago

I have to say that I have a Wonka and the RBG light show is spectacular. When I say this, it doesn’t mean I don’t like Stern pins, but the look of JJP pins (including the RGB lighting) puts Stern pins to shame. However, JJP pins are generally more expensive than Stern pins. I also think the Wonka theme is perfect for RGB lighting. With all that being said, with Stern, I feel like it always comes down to $$. I’m sure RGB is more expensive and that, in itself, is probably enough of a reason for Stern to not include them.

#6 3 years ago

I love the JJP lightshows and attention to detail they spend on it.

I've heard Stern keeps to white leds as they're brighter.. making everything rgb makes the game more dark (especially if all leds are included in lightshows and dim at the same time) or requires more physical leds to generate the same amount of lumen..

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

I love the JJP lightshows and attention to detail they spend on it.
    I've heard Stern keeps to white leds as they're brighter.. making everything rgb makes the game more dark (especially if all leds are included in lightshows and dim at the same time) or requires more physical leds to generate the same amount of lumen..

Definitely true. MBR has rgb and it is a pretty dark game. Wonka too can be on the dark side, but unlike MBR, jjp uses white spotlights.

#8 3 years ago

I owned both Star Trek LE and GOT LE and they both dazzled.

I'm guessing it is a BOM issue, and what the designer sees as a priority. I would imagine there will be future games that use them, at a cost of leaving something else out.

#9 3 years ago

I think in Sterns case having the Pro/Premium/LE model hurts the desire to go full RGB because they are not likely to ever put full RGB in a Pro and therefore not likely to code game specific elements around it. Sure you get some nice light sweeps and cool attract modes but compare to a game like Rick and Morty where they have full dimensions geared around the GI lighting such as the Twilight Zone dimension and the night vision mode (my personal favorite).

20200721_192455 (resized).jpg20200721_192455 (resized).jpg
    #10 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I owned both Star Trek LE and GOT LE and they both dazzled.

The show on my Trek premium was outstanding.

RGB is clearly the "wave of the future" and hope more pin makers embrace it.

#11 3 years ago

I’ve owned GOT, and I still own a Star Trek. The lights are part of the reason I no longer own GOT.

I bought GOT Pro right when it came out. Loved the theme, and played the first copy and I enjoyed the game. So of course I ordered one. The lights in that game were blinding. I had to turn on the lights in the gameroom to play it. During multiball when I’d earn an extra ball the lights would go from blinding to off, back to blinding. I just couldn’t see the ball with anything to do with Winter on the game. I got what they were doing, they wanted it to feel like I was in a blinding blizzard. But I was playing pinball and I couldn’t see the ball. Then the code update can and they gave me a setting to “lessen” the impact of the light show. It was useless. So a big part of my playing strategy was to avoid those shots. The goal of “Winter has come” was to trap one ball, and just dump the rest to stop the mode. It was the beginning of the end, but of course so was having to get a new populated playfield out of Stern, because clearcoat is hard to get right after decades of experience.

All that to say cool lights are awesome, but there is a limit to when it really detracts from the game.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I’ve owned GOT, and I still own a Star Trek. The lights are part of the reason I no longer own GOT.
    I bought GOT Pro right when it came out. Loved the theme, and played the first copy and I enjoyed the game. So of course I ordered one. The lights in that game were blinding. I had to turn on the lights in the gameroom to play it. During multiball when I’d earn an extra ball the lights would go from blinding to off, back to blinding. I just couldn’t see the ball with anything to do with Winter on the game. I got what they were doing, they wanted it to feel like I was in a blinding blizzard. But I was playing pinball and I couldn’t see the ball. Then the code update can and they gave me a setting to “lessen” the impact of the light show. It was useless. So a big part of my playing strategy was to avoid those shots. The goal of “Winter has come” was to trap one ball, and just dump the rest to stop the mode. It was the beginning of the end, but of course so was having to get a new populated playfield out of Stern, because clearcoat is hard to get right after decades of experience.
    All that to say cool lights are awesome, but there is a limit to when it really detracts from the game.

RGB are cool but are horrible with clear inserts like they used in GOT.

Have to have frosted inserts as well.

#13 3 years ago

On a side note, I added some spot lights to my GOT, connected to the coin door light, that was always on, so that when the crazy effects were going on there was some light still on the playfield and you didn't get blinded by the strobe effect. It worked really well.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Think of what could have been done to improve games like Star Wars, even with the so-so layout.

Star Wars does have some RGB lights and a pretty damn good light show as well. You might want to revisit the game...

#15 3 years ago

Will add .25 cents to BOM ... so NO!

#16 3 years ago

who cares. Yeah they can make a great game just a little bit better but they can't save a bad game. I would rather they were all RGB in both the PF and GI but its bottom of the list on importance and I'll take another spinner over the lightshow all day every day.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-stern-return-to-full-rgb-lighting-design?hl=mr9865 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.