Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pins4u
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

They have not made a run in four years do you think they will do another for these aging games ?

#2 2 years ago

Nope - why would they? They don't want old games circulating out there, they want you to buy a new one.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Nope - why would they? They don't want old games circulating out there, they want you to buy a new one.

Because they have run them before

#4 2 years ago

I'd like to think they'd run them again; but my lack of faith is disturbing.
    I honestly don't think they have any desire to re-run out-of-warranty parts.
    I'd <3 to be wrong tho.

Why would you want a cpu? for a spare? or do you have a game down for the cpu?

#5 2 years ago

That was a HUGE surprise that I doubt we will ever see again.

They can't keep up supply of spare node boards for games that are only a few years old I seriously doubt they will revisit parts for such old games.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

They can't keep up supply of spare node boards for games that are only a few years old I seriously doubt they will revisit parts for such old games.

Why would they not? Like free money. The only fly in the ointment is they would have "x" amount of money sitting in inventory that can't be utilized for current production.

Parts usually have a higher profit margin so that is a plus for them.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I'd like to think they'd run them again; but my lack of faith is disturbing.
    I honestly don't think they have any desire to re-run out-of-warranty parts.
    I'd <3 to be wrong tho.
    Why would you want a cpu? for a spare? or do you have a game down for the cpu?

Spare

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Why can’t they keep a supply of spare node boards and what does that have to do with the old Whitestar boards?

Stern doesn’t build them.

A PCB assembly house (and there are lots of them) does, so all Stern needs to “do” is email them an order of a number of boards and pay them.

It’s not that Stern ties up their own workforce, just a bit of money.

Is this about the chip shortage? I’m working for a big semiconductor company and that is tapering off already.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Why can’t they keep a supply of spare node boards and what does that have to do with the old Whitestar boards?
    Stern doesn’t build them.

Exactly.

Two or three factors I can think that would cause Stern not to make new ones.

1) Money tied up in inventory for non-current product.
    2) Tech support for non-current product if there is a problem.
    3) Stern would rather sell new product even though parts are very profitable.

#10 2 years ago

I doubt it. They are so far behind with their current backlog with licenses for yet to be made pins lined up ready to go. Those licenses expire, so I think they have to push forward rather than look back.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I doubt it. They are so far behind with their current backlog with licenses for yet to be made pins lined up ready to go. Those licenses expire, so I think they have to push forward rather than look back.

Again this would take almost nothing for Stern to do, outside PCB houses churn out stuff all the time. Stern certainly isn't making their own PCB assemblies, just designing.

Phone call and a check which would have zero impact on current production short of the PCB house running at 100%

#12 2 years ago

Y'all are assuming they would use the old CPUs. With the team they have there and the flexibility of the spike system, I would expect them to just emulate the white star software using their existing hardware. That or pay an intern to just copy paste LOTR in to current hardware if emulation is to difficult

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Y'all are assuming they would use the old CPUs. With the team they have there and the flexibility of the spike system, I would expect them to just emulate the white star software using their existing hardware. That or pay an intern to just copy paste LOTR in to current hardware if emulation is to difficult

Now you are tying up resources for little return.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Now you are tying up resources for little return.

I agree .... 1 phone call and done basically. I remember back in 2018 when they did the last one and were waiting for them to come in They were 500 each with the ROMs shipped and sold out within weeks

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Is this about the chip shortage? I’m working for a big semiconductor company and that is tapering off already.

From a component perspective one thing could be fine while another might not be. For all we know there could be a pain point at solder, assembly or another component. I won’t even get started on the logistics of all that.

I placed an online parts order this Saturday from one of my favorite places. Normally they fill order same or next business day. I got a shipping notification last night. I don’t even have to ask why it took so long if anything I feel bad for them. I’m not in any rush either and they are probably more stressed than ever.

#16 2 years ago

The way Stern is scrambling for parts to build current games, I would imagine this would be back burner for now. Considering Whitestar is so old, might need to look to aftermarket companies to start making them.

#17 2 years ago

In about 2 seconds, Levi will be in here to shut this whole thing down lol.

But I'll probably agree with what he says in regards to this.

In short, it's not happening regardless of how "easy" everyone thinks it is, or would be.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

The way Stern is scrambling for parts to build current games, I would imagine this would be back burner for now. Considering Whitestar is so old, might need to look to aftermarket companies to start making them.

Parts acquisition would not be Sterns problem but the PCB houses.

#19 2 years ago

The biggest problem is part shortages. I'm confident this would not be a slam dunk, they cpu and other components are probably unobtainium, if not officially end of life.

#20 2 years ago

lol hell no maybe if they ever catch up to current demand; but most likely no!!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

In about 2 seconds, Levi will be in here to shut this whole thing down lol.
    But I'll probably agree with what he says in regards to this.
    In short, it's not happening regardless of how "easy" everyone thinks it is, or would be.

I only get fired up for the BIG things, and this certainly isn't.

But I agree with you. Seems pretty unlikely and I don't see what Stern gets out of it.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I only get fired up for the BIG things, and this certainly isn't.
    But I agree with you. Seems pretty unlikely and I don't see what Stern gets out of it.

Surely you know this is a low key "Will Stern do an LOTRVE" thread don't you?? Because as we all know, there aren't any other Whitestar games worth bringing back. Baywatch VE anyone??

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Surely you know this is a low key "Will Stern do an LOTRVE" thread don't you?? Because as we all know, there aren't any other Whitestar games worth bringing back. Baywatch VE anyone??

Wow you are right. You gotta stay one step ahead of these bastards.

The teacher has become the student.

#24 2 years ago

Incoming cargument!

Can you buy a new (genuine part) starter, alternator, battery, radiator etc etc from Ford for a 20 year old model?

Only if a dealer happens to have NOS parts in stock otherwise you will head off to the local auto parts store and purchase an aftermarket replacement made by someone else - "replaces Ford part number XXXX"

In pinball, you repair your old board OR buy a Rottendog, Xpin, Homepin, Anarchy or any number of a dozen aftermarket manufacturers products.

No different to car manufacturers.

Stern are just not interested in keeping old games working - why would they be just to make $50 selling a board??? Peanuts to them and probably just not worth the paperwork.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-stern-rerun-the-whitestar-cpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.