(Topic ID: 154760)

Will Stern release Star Wars this year?

By mittens

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9049121_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-17_at_1.38.58_PM_(resized).png

#1 8 years ago

So I have heard and read a few bits about Stern releasing a new Star Wars pin theme. Anyone know if this will be a 2016 release or 2017? I heard it will be the first to have an LCD. Any others want to add some bits of info?

#2 8 years ago

No. They have Hendrix coming and still have to sell and make a bunch of already existing titles. Look for SW9 The New Trilogy in about 6 years

#3 8 years ago

Hendrix is really gonna happen?

#4 8 years ago

i'd hope not
    if they are moving to an LCD, I would want them to figure out the bugs before releasing a new Star Wars theme

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

No. They have Hendrix coming and still have to sell and make a bunch of already existing titles. Look for SW9 The New Trilogy in about 6 years

My opinion: there is zero chance they wait for the trilogy. They want to catch this hot theme now, not let it age for six years. There will be a Star Wars pin this year, probably late in the year when Rouge One hype is heating up.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

My opinion: there is zero chance they wait for the trilogy. They want to catch this hot theme now, not let it age for six years. There will be a Star Wars pin this year, probably late in the year when Rouge One hype is heating up.

Rouge one? Is that the all-female remake? Looks like Ghostbusters has started a trend...

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed.

There's 4-5 more movies coming, Stern will coordinate a release with one of them. Either rogue one, or episode 8.

#8 8 years ago

Aerosmith next from what I've heard, Star Wars is a 2017 title!

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from DuckBrian:

Aerosmith next from what I've heard, Star Wars is a 2017 title!

I think Aerosmith will bomb horribly and Star Wars will sell like crazy. jmho

QSS

#10 8 years ago

2017 would make sense.
    40th anniversary of Star Wars (before it was known as A New Hope)

#11 8 years ago

Why wouldn't people prefer a SW game based off all 3 films in the main trilogy? You only have to wait until 2019 (time between movies is 2 years now instead of 3)

BTTF, LOTR, Spider-Man, Hobbit... all done at the end.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I think Aerosmith will bomb horribly and Star Wars will sell like crazy. jmho
    QSS

I agree. Cant wait for Star Wars.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Why wouldn't people prefer a SW game based off all 3 films in the main trilogy? You only have to wait until 2019 (time between movies is 2 years now instead of 3)

Well, who's to say they might not want to have the option to make more than 1?

Make one next year- sells like gangbusters, release a trilogy pin 2 years later, rinse and repeat mad money grab.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Well, who's to say they might not want to have the option to make more than 1?
    Make one next year- sells like gangbusters, release a trilogy pin 2 years later, rinse and repeat mad money grab.

This for sure. Have no doubt, Stern would do one pin for each movie if they sell like gangbusters.

#15 8 years ago

My (purely speculative) feeling is that after Aerosmith next (maybe a summer reveal) we'll see Force Awakens revealed late this year, maybe November/December. About three next pins a year seems to be the mark for Stern these days, so GB/Aerosmith/SW makes for a nice mix of classic license, music, and modern license.

#16 8 years ago

I hope this and aerosmith are next so I can save some money after got and gb

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I hope this and aerosmith are next so I can save some money after got and gb

#18 8 years ago

I think and hope Star Wars is late this year. I also hope Stern uses the original trilogy along with The Force Awakens as far as material, art, toys, etc. not sure if there is enough material in just TFA. Is it also possible they use hand drawn art instead of cut and paste photos? I think comic style art Star Wars would be much better.

#19 8 years ago

I'm certainly looking forward to it, but I'm also really intrigued to see how Hilter reacts.

#20 8 years ago

I'd be down for a Star Wars pin. Probably wouldn't buy it but it would sell like crazy.
    I can't believe there's any demand for an Aerosmith pinball. I'm thinking NBA or 24 or CSI sales numbers with that one. Less than 300-400 total would be my guess.
    Iron Maiden? Yes - absolutely. They just played in Chile for 58,000 fans this last week. Top seller worldwide.
    Motley Crue? Possibly. Could be some cool artwork there and always liked their music. Do well in USA.
    Led Zeppelin? Low numbers - about the same as Aerosmith I would think. Can't imagine playing pinball to Stairway to Heaven though.

So was Kiss considered a success? They sold well initially but seems people are hating on it fairly regularly. Is it because no code updates yet?

#21 8 years ago

I've heard from several reputable sources that a SW pin will be announced at the end of the year. Production and shipping likely to begin in 2017. As for what period, I'm guessing they will start with a themed pin with the original trilogy 4,5 and 6 and then release a another pin before episode 9 releases focusing on 7, 8 and 9.

I'm speculating this game will include the LCD screen Gomez announced In Janurary of 2016 would be included on pins built towards the end of year.

#22 8 years ago

I have no interest in a Star Wars fan based on TFA.

Now, a Rogue One pin based on the X-Wing Squadron? Sign me the F up. However Stern's prices are probably just too crazy for a NIB.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

Now, a Rogue One pin based on the X-Wing Squadron? Sign me the F up. However Stern's prices are probably just too crazy for a NIB.

I'm very curious to see how this Rogue One movie goes. Surely Vader is going to be prominently featured?

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm very curious to see how this Rogue One movie goes. Surely Vader is going to be prominently featured?

As long a Hayden Christensen doesn't play Vader!

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

No I don't think he will be.

Rogue Squadron was created by the Rebellion. Wedge Antilles (the only fighter pilot to take on both Death Stars and live) was Rogue Squadron's commanding officer. They were the best of the best in terms of fighters and pilots.

It's been years since I read the whole X-Wing series but I don't recall Vadar having a presence. He was too busy hunting down Jedi and trying to destroy the Rebel Army

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

He's definitely in the movie, and he's going to show the Rebel scum who's boss lol. Multiple Vader suits on set and storyboards have him doing some mean stuff. There's another "bad guy" in the movie, but Vader does show up. Back to the pinball, I'm in, but afraid of sticker shock due to potential LCD and the classic "Star Wars" tax that will no doubt be added lol..

#27 8 years ago

For sure Vader will be brought back in one of the many movies to be launched within the next 5 years. Star Wars, Rogue Squadron, Boba Fett, and Han Solo before joining the alliance. Crazy to think, there may be 3-4 pins built with all of the new movies expected to launch now that Disney owns SW. Stern will cash in big if they end up owning all of the licenses. There may even be some wiggle room for JJP to get in on a design which I would be very supportive of having two of the top design companies building SW themed pins.

I personally feel we are about to see pinball greatness take another leap forward. If I ever had to be more decisive of what pins to buy, it's now. I think the last GB Hitler video supports my thoughts.

#28 8 years ago

So if the Star Wars license does cost more and they introduce or have the LCD display what do you think the increased cost will be to us? It's BS, I hate the thought of paying over $5K for a pinball machine.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So if the Star Wars license does cost more and they introduce or have the LCD display what do you think the increased cost will be to us? It's BS, I hate the thought of paying over $5K for a pinball machine.

I'll bet they look at how willing users are to pay $400 for colorDMD (just to get colored dots, not LCD), and use that as a *starting point* for the price increase. So, I'm guessing ~$500-$600 more.

#30 8 years ago

Did you guys notice the SW ref from the GOT making video??

Screen_Shot_2016-03-17_at_1.38.58_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-03-17_at_1.38.58_PM_(resized).png

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Did you guys notice the SW ref from the GOT making video??

Screen_Shot_2016-03-17_at_1.38.58_PM_(resized).png

Yeah that was in another thread somewhere, maybe Stern next theme speculation? The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if Steve Ritchie is doing this, how it will be ready by the end of this year? Doesn't he usually take longer to develop his games? Honestly, I'd prefer Borg since he did the Data East version and it'd be cool to see what he could bring to the property so many years later.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jnewton:

Honestly, I'd prefer Borg since he did the Data East version and it'd be cool to see what he could bring to the property so many years later.

I'm in total agreement. I'm not a big fan of the DE Star Wars ... I think Borg could make SW something awesome given a second shot and more technology to work with this time around.

I just hope its based on the original trilogy. That series needs to be implemented as a kick ass, must have pinball machine. The Sega one was a massive disappointment and the DE one, while no slouch, isn't something I've really wanted to own over the years given the $$$ they've usually fetched.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jnewton:

Yeah that was in another thread somewhere, maybe Stern next theme speculation? The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if Steve Ritchie is doing this, how it will be ready by the end of this year? Doesn't he usually take longer to develop his games? Honestly, I'd prefer Borg since he did the Data East version and it'd be cool to see what he could bring to the property so many years later.

I've heard announce @ January CES 2017 but I guess it is all guesswork at this point.

#34 8 years ago

Stern, Borg and Lyman to do Star Wars justice please.

1 week later
    #35 8 years ago

I have not purchased a pin in awhile as I have gone back to vids at the moment, but I have already told the wife that if a new SW comes out that I am getting it, and she can't say a word. She agrees, so now I just have to wait! Hope it does come out with new tech like the LCD. JJP has it on 2 games already...time for Stern to step it up!

9049121_(resized).jpg9049121_(resized).jpg

#36 8 years ago

Yeah, I'm screwed. This is a must-buy machine for me, and it would be at least a Premium.

2 weeks later
    #37 7 years ago

A Rogue One pin for Christmas would be VERY nice!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Batman didn't wait until the end, though it's preferable to wait. The more assets the better.

#39 7 years ago

It might be my all-time grail theme (if finally done right), but then again, i thought that about GoT until Stern "phoned it in."

But as much as I want this theme, I want it done RIGHT even more. I want an LCD, and I'd frankly rather have it NOT be their first attempt at it.

So, Id prefer them to "cut their teeth" on new display technology on some throwaway theme like Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, (insert comic book theme), Muppets or something else...

There's 5 more Star Wars movies coming (yay!), Id expect them yo sync up to one of the next two... if not MORE.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

It might be my all-time grail theme (if finally done right), but then again, i thought that about GoT until Stern "phoned it in."

They only phoned in the PF artwork. The rest of the game is pretty incredible.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

They only phoned in the PF artwork. The rest of the game is pretty incredible.

Thats a big "only" for me though.... especially on a favorite theme.

Im also completely underwhelmed by the UPF.... I need to:
    1. Play more and see its it grows on me
    2. Find a Pro and compare...

#42 7 years ago

Must buy

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Thats a big "only" for me though.... especially on a favorite theme.
    Im also completely underwhelmed by the UPF.... I need to:
    1. Play more and see its it grows on me
    2. Find a Pro and compare...

It'll grow on you, and the pro will feel stripped down and lame by comparison (although they're both great games). It's such a deep game only because there are so many ways to play the game, depending on the house you choose, the houses you choose to collect first and battle, etc., etc.

If Star Wars is half this good, it'll be another Stern keeper for me. (See how I got that back on topic?)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-stern-release-star-wars-this-year and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.