(Topic ID: 177216)

Will Stern make LOTR-VE?

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

There was talk of Stern making another run of LOTR a while back but I haven't heard anything else about it in a while.

Would this make sense for Stern? I feel like it would sell well. One of their bests IMO.

Will this ever happen?

#2 7 years ago

They'd need the license, wouldn't they?

#3 7 years ago

Nope. HUO LOTR 5k or LOTR VE with crap cool white LEDs everywhere...8k? NEWP.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Good question. I imagine they could get it again without much problem?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Nope. HUO LOTR 5k or LOTR VE with crap cool white LEDs everywhere...8k? NEWP.

Maybe so, but they could sell a shit ton at 6,500 delivered.

#6 7 years ago

I think they will, but not for many years.

#7 7 years ago

Well SMVE is $7595 retail now. Great game, but they did not seem to sell many.

So how much would a small batch of LOTR VE be with a new LCD Screen? $9000 miniumum retail? The movie is getting older also. Is this a hot theme that Stern can market to everyone? More questions - How many folks already own it? How many have owned it and sold it over the years? How many folks will spend $3000-$4000 more for a VE one than a nice playing original?

$6500 sounds great for a LOTR VE, but Stern is making $15k pinball games now. Pros will be $5500.

LOTR will not happen.

If you like it pick one up for $5000ish from a collector and roll with it. When you see the price of a VE, if it happens, you will be glad you own your original.

#8 7 years ago

This again ....

They already did 8 billion runs and a LE to cap it off. The game is common and reasonably priced. Anyone who wants one still can get one. Market demand has been filled.

#9 7 years ago

supposedly the LE did not sell as well as was hoped

so I would say no

#10 7 years ago

If Stern did a LOTR VE it would be $8K MSRP with ghosting inserts & a non registering Balrog lol

#11 7 years ago

I'd sooner bet on an AC/DC

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballomatic:

I wouldnt plan on anyone getting a middle earth license in the near future. The hiers to the estate aren't to happy with hollywood at this point.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293844/Tolkien-family-Warner-Bros-prepare-legal-battle-Lord-Rings-fruit-machines.html

#13 7 years ago

I don't think so unless it uses the new system. There barely marking small runs of white star boards to keep those systems running

#14 7 years ago

no. same with tspp which had a million runs, tron aint happening either.
    ac dc premium is though.
    and i told y'all a million years ago so would batman, which turned into an updated version.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

This again ....
    They already did 8 billion runs and a LE to cap it off. The game is common and reasonably priced. Anyone who wants one still can get one. Market demand has been filled.

Don't you know?

We need like 25 threads that rehash the same topic. Over. And over. And over. And over. And..........

#16 7 years ago

No way. They had trouble selling the le. There were lots of runs already. Price would have to be 8k so they wouldn't sell very many anyways. Game is readily available and most have owned one who wanted to,

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

no. same with tspp which had a million runs, tron aint happening either.
    ac dc premium is though.
    and i told y'all a million years ago so would batman, which turned into an updated version.

AC/DC Premium eh? New colour display? So they sorted out licensing issues?

#18 7 years ago

I'd like to see a LOTR VE similar to IM VE, don't change anything but the lamps to LEDs. Put a pro price on it and it will sell. I know, I'm dreaming, it will never happen. If it does it will be outrageously priced.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

supposedly the LE did not sell as well as was hoped
    so I would say no

I had heard only 250 of the 500 slated were made (unconfirmed).
    So if they paid the royalty for the 500 wouldn't they be able to finish the run?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

I had heard only 250 of the 500 slated were made (unconfirmed).
    So if they paid the royalty for the 500 wouldn't they be able to finish the run?

licenses have a time limit
    no idea how long, but the last LOTR was 7 or 8 years ago

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

But they won't, because they can sell a shit ton at 8500 delivered. People are stupid. \_(o_o)_/

#22 7 years ago

I don't think it is likely and the demand vs supply has started to stable out. I could be wrong, I said they would never do an Iron Man re-run-wrong. I do wonder if they did do a vault edition of LOTR if Gomez would change the poor design of the Shire drop with ball cascading onto thin plastic and use a diverter into habitrail and alter code not to award extra souls? I would think if they did a 200+ production run with a color DMD and LED's they could fetch $5995 MSRP. It would be even better if they could keep the MSRP price point down below $5300.

Another game that might be a good choice for a vault edition this year is Pirates of the Caribbean. With the new movie coming out and some slight tweaks they could easily sell 200+ of them. Also another title that would be a slam dunk vault would be 200 AC/DC Premiums and 200 AC/DC Pro's, there is definitely a demand.

#23 7 years ago

POTC vault won't happen as they would have to have the Disney license and they do not.

#24 7 years ago

Not many titles that I would pay sterns super inflated prices for at this point but if they did LOTR vault I may have to consider it.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from venom112:

Not many titles that I would pay sterns super inflated prices for at this point but if they did LOTR vault I may have to consider it.

You can get an LOTR NOW at a non-inflated price. LOL.
    Seriously, IM is really the only straight-up re-run Vault that made sense as there was HUGE demand and you literally could not find on on the used market. Anyone who wants an LOTR can have one tomorrow.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Anyone who wants an LOTR can have one tomorrow.

Not really. There are only 2 in the market place currently and IMO are both overpriced.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Doubt it... there are tons of them out there already. They shouldn't make games where there is already saturation...

#28 7 years ago

I believe we will see yet another version of Metallica since it still sells. I could see another rerun of Ac/Dc happening as well. LOTR no way!
    As for Tron Ve I can see it materializing.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Not really. There are only 2 in the market place currently and IMO are both overpriced.

There is more "market" than Pinside.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

If you want a game you need to work it more than just waiting for a market ad to come up. Out of all my games I own and have owned I never bought one from a market ad including my LOTR.

Send Pinside PM's - "if you ever want to sell let me know", spread word of mouth, do a want ad. Part of the fun of the hunt for me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-stern-make-lotr-ve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.