(Topic ID: 114307)

Will Stern debut their LCD display in 2015?

By TigerLaw

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When will Stern release their LCD display?”

• Quarter 1 or 2 of 2015 11 votes
      5%
    • Quarter 3 or 4 of 2015 56 votes
      26%
    • Not in 2015 at all 109 votes
      50%
    • Don't know and don't care, but I like to vote in polls 43 votes
      20%

(219 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nachoman.jpg
    giphy.gif
    Soup-Nazi.jpg
    There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago

Seems like at some point it'd actually cost more to do it Sterns way, using a specialized low res display and spending all the time to make graphics look good on it. I have seen 28" LCD's on sale on Newegg for 220 bucks.

To me, Williams was the last one to do anything cool on the display front, putting in right in your line of sight on the playfield.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

To me, Williams was the last one to do anything cool on the display front, putting in right in your line of sight on the playfield.

JPOP's super deep cabinets with display in the back looks really bad arse. Not sure if we'll ever see one, but I like his idea.

#53 9 years ago

I hope they go to a 13" LCD using ColorDMD type display. Anything bigger is too big.

Ironic that a lot of the same people who have been bitching for an LCD and more complete software are asking for something that will make software a lot harder to develop.

#54 9 years ago

I vote no.

We are talking about Stern, right?

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Ironic that a lot of the same people who have been bitching for an LCD and more complete software are asking for something that will make software a lot harder to develop.

Not necessarily. I agree that JJP's approach is a lot of work. But if Stern did a more DMD-sized display, just in color, it could actually make things easier. It's not trivial to make good dots, working at 128x32 is an art form. A small LCD would likely having a smaller BOM than an LED DMD. And if they did a Tron/Spider-Man style game with a lot of movie clips and some text it would be pretty simple to develop.

I actually expect to see it on the next game or two. It's not a secret that they're developing it.

Personally I'm gonna miss dots. I'd love to see a more ColorDMD style approach, maybe slightly higher rez, but with the retro dot look. Maybe that's old fashioned of me, but keeping it kinda low tech feeling makes the focus on the playfield, not "watching TV". I want pinball to stay focused on the physical ball.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I actually expect to see it on the next game or two. It's not a secret that they're developing it.

You realize that people were posting this exact same thing more than a year ago, right?

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You realize that people were posting this exact same thing more than a year ago, right?

Haha, yup. I hear it's around the corner. But will I be shocked if I've been mislead? Nooooope.

Whatever, it's just another part of the game they can ship unfinished.

#58 9 years ago

Good lord its time to come out of the PONG age of pinball with displays.

What other game, device, display, etc. on planet earth is so far behind the times with that technology?

Right Multimorphic?

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe that's old fashioned of me, but keeping it kinda low tech feeling makes the focus on the playfield, not "watching TV".

You should see what we watch on TV.

#60 9 years ago

OK guys how about this, Stern is now in the mod business right. So what if in 2015 they come out with a factory lcd installed mod. You would have your choice of an upgraded lcd screen like Smart or Color DMD are doing for xxx amount or the standard dots screen as standard. They did it with the WD topper why not with the lcd screen.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Heck, I remember when people were saying XMen was going to have the LCD display...

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

blockquote>

This is where pinball could be if it wanted to be. Pinball needs more spectacle to make money on location.

#63 9 years ago

Stern has been stuck in plain dmd land for a long time

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

This is where pinball could be if it wanted to be. Pinball needs more spectacle to make money on location.

» YouTube video

So your playing your game, trying to work your way through your shot in the right order and all the time that is going on up on the lcd AND on all the other screens all around you. I'll pass thank you.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

So your playing you game, trying to work your way through your shot in the right order and all the time that is going on up on the lcd AND on all the other screens all around you. I'll pass thank you.

+1

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

No kidding. Put a couple flipper bats on that and who here wouldn't be in for 10k for the 5 year plus pre-order journey? Jpop - sign me up!

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Stern has been stuck in plain dmd land for a long time

I've posted this so many times - Gary Stern does not create. He does not innovate. He never has. He never will. He always copies. Most of the boards, most of the designs, since day one, and to 35 years later. He is a follower, and without anyone to follow, he has nothing to copy, without a push, he has no reason to change.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

So your playing you game, trying to work your way through your shot in the right order and all the time that is going on up on the lcd AND on all the other screens all around you. I'll pass thank you.

Take into account this is like a Japanese slot machine. Japan has kind of a throw in the kitchen sink philosophy with technology and "slot" machines are supposed to be nutty to draw attention to someone winning.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've posted this so many times - Gary Stern does not create. He does not innovate. He never has. He never will. He always copies. Most of the boards, most of the designs, since day one, and to 35 years later. He is a follower, and without anyone to follow, he has nothing to copy, without a push, he has no reason to change.

Except when Gary stern was the first one (as data east) to release the first DMD game in the world, chrckpoint I think.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I tend to agree with you, but there's always Orbiter 1!

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I tend to agree with you, but there's always Orbiter 1!

haha touché (?).

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be interpreted as a hater. I'm very glad Gary has been around since day one. Despite the fact that he is not an innovator, his companies have made great games since the early days (I love Stars and Meteor) to now. I'm glad he is still around, and I'm glad for all the machines he makes.

Quoted from markmon:

Except when Gary stern was the first one (as data east) to release the first DMD game in the world, chrckpoint I think.

I believe Williams had this in the works before he did, but DE was able to get it out first with Checkpoint, and look how well that rushed idea turned out. They were also the first and only for the large display, but again, proved too expensive.

It's probably better to say he has tried to innovate a little along the way, but it has never worked out, and he just seems more comfortable following other's leads. Williams was a big company with more capabilities, so it would be a daunting task for Gary at any point along the way regardless.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'd be completely shocked if we got a LCD display from Stern this year. Or next.

It'll come out in the TRON VE premium.

I'm sorry, I just had to.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What other game, device, display, etc. on planet earth is so far behind the times with that technology?
    Right Multimorphic?

This is why Multimorphic exists... to deliver new ideas, new technologies, new value propositions, new levels of serviceability, etc. We're delivering these with a platform (the P3) that supports both traditional pinball experiences and new, progressive ones.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Take into account this is like a Japanese slot machine.

I know that, I just wouldn't want it going on when I was playing a game of pinball.

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I know that, I just wouldn't want it going on when I was playing a game of pinball.

Those Japanese slot machines are fun until you have played long enough to get a jackpot or two. After that you hit a wall and never go back. Gameplay is what makes a pin. Bells and whistles are fun too, but the game is what counts.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Those Japanese slot machines are fun until you have played long enough to get a jackpot or two. After that you hit a wall and never go back. Gameplay is what makes a pin. Bells and whistles are fun too, but the game is what counts.

10-4

#77 9 years ago

I think they'll find out what aftermarket system is best or best in their eyes and then run with doing deal with them...

#78 9 years ago

Don't forget if Stern stops using the DMDs the manufacturers may stop making them altogether....stock up now.

#79 9 years ago

Stern needs to finish code instead of embracing new technology.
    Poor software for new technology would be a disaster.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dis_Pinballer:

Stern needs to finish code instead of embracing new technology.
    Poor software for new technology would be a disaster.

This!

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't forget if Stern stops using the DMDs the manufacturers may stop making them altogether....stock up now.

Or at least keep a couple of spares after installing ColorDMDs rather than selling them.

#82 9 years ago

Maybe Stern will get an agreement with ColorDMD and will sell Color DMDs as an upgrade to their games on their site .

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Maybe Stern will get an agreement with ColorDMD and will sell Color DMDs as an upgrade to their games on their site .

I'm wishing Stern would start putting ColorDMD's into the premium/LE games at least.

#84 9 years ago

Color is easy to install hardware. Its the content that's very difficult. Who is going to create content and control of vid content i/o software? That's why I think its taken so long at Stern - the details are killer.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgarrett:

Color is easy to install hardware. Its the content that's very difficult. Who is going to create content and control of vid content i/o software? That's why I think its taken so long at Stern - the details are killer.

Stern could at least be doing what SmartDMD is doing, and it would be a whole hell of lot easier since Stern has the source code and development software.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm wishing Stern would start putting ColorDMD's into the premium/LE games at least.

I see this as an all or nothing situation. Too much money to develop for two different displays. Its a lot more complicated than removing a spinner or drop targets from the Pro software. Plus the LED DMDs they are using cost more than an LCD anyway.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Stern could at least be doing what SmartDMD is doing, and it would be a whole hell of lot easier since Stern has the source code and development software.

Exactly.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This thought never occurred to me. Would dry out quick to if it happened. Would be like Nucore...the announcement would happen then two days later (or two months in this case most likely) no stock anywhere.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Where there is money to be made, it will be made. This is just foolish.........

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

At least at a minimum DC

But I'd be somewhat shocked if they don't produce an Lcd in 2015, new factory, new system and all.

#90 9 years ago

why should they
    what % of the market do they control?
    seems like everyone complains about the high prices of pins.
    are LCD's cheaper?

I mean, GM trucks still have column-shifters.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

Too many of the cool games on the horizon are widebody and I'd rather see Stern stick to what they do really well

Well, at the moment I think the only ones are The Hobbit and Alien..... will Alien be "cool"? Not sure.

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from 35mm:

are LCD's cheaper?

Yes. It's the content creation that can be more expensive, depending on how you do it.

#93 9 years ago

So far the answer is nope.

nachoman.jpgnachoman.jpg
    #94 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Where there is money to be made, it will be made. This is just foolish.........

People always say that until they find that the pin market is too small to make any money.

There are plenty of semi-conductor pinball parts no longer available from any manufacturer .

Do you see any vector arcade monitors produced any more to repair your Space Duel or Tempest?

#95 9 years ago

I've started a new thread on this but JJ's (GEX) page his this description about the LE of Wrestlemania:

Actual WWE wrestling action is projected on the LE’s replica “Titantron” playfield level 5.7 inch LCD directly above the ring.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I really disagree. I think to a large extent that Stern has in fact been resting on its laurels, well except for price increases. They've been pretty progressive on that.

And now we see the new SPIKE platform from Stern. Oh, and the Wrestlemania Pro has Steel Ramps. Doesn't look like a company resting on its' laurels to me.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuS:

And now we see the new SPIKE platform from Stern. Oh, and the Wrestlemania Pro has Steel Ramps. Doesn't look like a company resting on its' laurels to me.

Yea, they whipped out a bunch of technology advances for this title. I'm impressed.

#98 9 years ago

Can't wait to see the "SPIKE" system.

#99 9 years ago

How much would it really cost to Stern to add a color display? A good 24" hd pc monitor runs about $150 so I would guess cheaper. Programming wouldn't be that different unless you go hi-res with video. Just having dots with color would be a big step up. I mean c'mon - the first dmd was 24 years ago. I even think my 1992 Getaway has a better looking display than my brand new Star Trek.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Ritchie gets all the "firsts" because he is King !

My thoughts exactly.

Quoted from frolic:Well, we know for certain "the new guy" John Trudeau won't be given the new display, especially with how quickly he is following up this game from the last one.
    Ritchie is scheduled for the next game, but people were ready to bet their lives that Star Trek was going to have the display.

I thought that too.....but JT said Borg is up next and then Ritchie. Interesting if true....puts him WAY out of rotation....is he working on something special? LCD?

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-stern-debut-their-lcd-display-in-2015/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.