Will removing the mylar hurt the playfield paint? It won't I promise:)

(Topic ID: 221643)

Will removing the mylar hurt the playfield paint? It won't I promise:)

By hailrazer

57 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by hailrazer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

010 (resized).JPG
    007 (resized).JPG
    004 (resized).JPG
    003 (resized).JPG
    001 (resized).JPG
    20180722_154908 (resized).jpg
    20180722_154746 (resized).jpg
    20180703_221905 (resized).jpg

#1 57 days ago

I have a roached Nightmare on Elm Street that I'm restoring for a friend. Pulled off the mylar to sand and clear the playfield. Came off very easily. Lol

I then Krylon Triple Thicked the mylar to preserve it as wall art.

20180703_221905 (resized).jpg20180722_154746 (resized).jpg20180722_154908 (resized).jpg

#2 57 days ago

As I recall, Gottlieb factory installed their Mylar. I had a SF2 do something similar.

#3 57 days ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

As I recall, Gottlieb factory installed their Mylar. I had a SF2 do something similar.

Yes it was factory installed. This one was bubbling , scratched to hades, and planking/flaking underneath terribly. I just thought it was sort of cool to show a mylar removed with no regard to the paint that came off with it.

#4 57 days ago

In my experience no it won't hurt the paint. If done right anyway. I've done this for quite a few Restorations that i have done on playfields. I find the the freeze spray then remove method Works excellent. Then the flour rubbing method Works fantastic for removing the excess glue.

#5 57 days ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

In my experience no it won't hurt the paint. If done right anyway. I've done this for quite a few Restorations that i have done on playfields. I find the the freeze spray then remove method Works excellent. Then the flour rubbing method Works fantastic for removing the excess glue.

Yea I've done quite a few myself with great results.

This one wasn't about saving the playfield though

#6 57 days ago

I was at work & a coworker informed me that there was a pinball machine up for auction that evening. I immediately went on the website & there it was a Centaur. I called the auction house & placed a bid of $1000. The machine was roached & I acquired the machine for $500. After much work I finally had Centaur up & running. But cosmetically, the playfield was a zero. So I pulled everything off the playfield, including the mylar. Underneath the mylar, someone had colored the playfield black in an attempt to cover up the worn to the wood playfield. I knew & wasn't concerned that once I pulled the mylar, there was going to be many down to the playfield wood areas exposed. But no worry, I work for a school district & I had access to an over-achieving art teacher w/ his masters degree in art. Here's the results...

001 (resized).JPG003 (resized).JPG004 (resized).JPG007 (resized).JPG010 (resized).JPG
    #7 57 days ago

Impressive touch up! Did you clear over it to protect in the future Very nice!

Quoted from Rush2112:

I was at work & a coworker informed me that there was a pinball machine up for auction that evening. I immediately went on the website & there it was a Centaur. I called the auction house & placed a bid of $1000. The machine was roached & I acquired the machine for $500. After much work I finally had Centaur up & running. But cosmetically, the playfield was a zero. So I pulled everything off the playfield, including the mylar. Underneath the mylar, someone had colored the playfield black in an attempt to cover up the worn to the wood playfield. I knew & wasn't concerned that once I pulled the mylar, there was going to be many down to the playfield wood areas exposed. But no worry, I work for a school district & I had access to an over-achieving art teacher w/ his masters degree in art. Here's the results...

#8 56 days ago

No. What I did was remylar 70% of the playfield in the high ball travel & painted areas. This final application turned out very well.

#9 56 days ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Yea I've done quite a few myself with great results.
    This one wasn't about saving the playfield though

You going to do an overlay on this one? I wasn't aware they had those for Gottlieb games.

#10 56 days ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

You going to do an overlay on this one? I wasn't aware they had those for Gottlieb games.

That's why I had to scan the playfield and do almost 30 hours of photoshop repair to make one. Yikes!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 134.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 229.99
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside