(Topic ID: 278134)

Will project pins be a thing of the past?

By PinballGiant

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

With more and more people fixing machines and treating them as “collectibles” rather than games and fewer new games getting abused on route do you think it will be harder and harder to find project pins going forward?

#2 3 years ago

Always around. Due to some people never finishing their "projects."

#3 3 years ago

I just don't understand how.some.of you guys think. Your theory is that every game.in existence will get fixed and they will all stay that way?

#4 3 years ago

The scenario you describe is what I currently see happening.
    There are plenty of Projects out there but they currently reside in storage.
    It is possible financial hardship will release some of these, I am seeing a few rare Titles surface for sale.
    I prefer Projects over "Restored" games. Really enjoy the experience of making them nice.

#5 3 years ago

There are still tons of old games in storage out there. Lots of old operaters are passing away and the wife or kids are selling them off. There was a old operator who still had about 10 games in storage sell them off last week in Nashville. I was not interested because they wanted top dollar for projects.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I just don't understand how.some.of you guys think. Your theory is that every game.in existence will get fixed and they will all stay that way?

Who said that? PinballGiant just asked what we think.

I've already seen some newer Sterns (10 years old and less) that I would consider projects because of neglect. Projects are definitely harder to find, but will never go away.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

There are still tons of old games in storage out there. Lots of old operaters are passing away and the wife or kids are selling them off. There was a old operator who still had about 10 games in storage sell them off last week in Nashville. I was not interested because they wanted top dollar for projects.

Yeah unfortunately some folks have watched 1 too many American Pickers, Pawn Stars (etc. I don't watch TV) and think their worn out Tri-Zone is the next Kiss restored with chrome plating.

#8 3 years ago

I think they will always be here, just more costly.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I think they will always be here, just more costly.

Projects, and Pins in general, are going to lower in price.
    Economic resistance. Nobody will pay "Firm" prices.
    Too many Pins available.
    A Pin is not a neccesity.
    Too many undesirable Pins. Few desirable Titles become available.
    Few Technicians that can repair said Pins.
    Just the Facts, Ma'am.

#10 3 years ago

Just use cars as an analogy. Eventually refurbishing old pins will be too difficult to do as the technology in them gets more complicated. There won't be a way for the common person to repair a pin if it is newer. Older pins will eventually disappear just like classic cars are becoming and more rare. Also just like classic cars fall out of style due to safety concerns or lack of bells and whistle so too will pins of old. There will still be people to restore them. There just will be less and less as time passes.

#11 3 years ago

Everyone of my games are "project" games, come on over and have at it......

John

#12 3 years ago

No...yes.....maybe!

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

Who said that? PinballGiant just asked what we think.
    I've already seen some newer Sterns (10 years old and less) that I would consider projects because of neglect. Projects are definitely harder to find, but will never go away.

Correct, there will always be project games. How could there not be?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Projects, and Pins in general, are going to lower in price.
    Economic resistance. Nobody will pay "Firm" prices.
    Too many Pins available.
    A Pin is not a neccesity.
    Too many undesirable Pins. Few desirable Titles become available.
    Few Technicians that can repair said Pins.
    Just the Facts, Ma'am.

I hope your correct. Projects for under a grand seem to be fewer and farther between.
    I'm certainly not going to pay some ass hats firm price of 2500 for a project that is worth less than a G.
    Some in some respects sure, prices will go DOWN.
    My thoughts though are based on the laws of supply and demand.
    I mean just read the 'project pins' topic and the super cheap listings, read what people have posted after.... called in 5 minutes, they sold it for 500 more... got 150 emails... and so on and so forth

#15 3 years ago

Even if project pins do surface, people are pricing them like fully restored perfect examples. It's rare now in my experience for a routed/project pin that has wear and significant play to be priced accordingly.

So yes, for that reason I gave and also because less and less are even going in to arcades I think you're right. Games usually end up as projects due to excessive play and that seems to be less common now

#16 3 years ago

Never going to happen. Peoples interest changes and games don't get maintained.
    But very few available now as compared to the past. The good news is far more are
    being saved for those of us into this hobby for the long term.

#17 3 years ago

They won't disappear. An interesting side note is the somewhat new concept of building games from the ground up,sometimes using a base game, sometimes from parts, or even making the parts. Hobbyists often have access to tools and techniques not prevelant before, such as 3D printing and computing platforms like Multimorphic. The projects available are as unlimited as our imagination.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-project-pins-be-a-thing-of-the-past?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.