Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by maddog14
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What will happen to pin prices?”

• Prices will go down 63 votes
      36%
    • Prices will stay the same 65 votes
      37%
    • Prices will go down 49 votes
      28%

(177 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matchbox_car_3_2.jpg
    mump_0903_04_z+2006_ford_mustang_gt+stock_engine.jpg
    6cyl2.jpg
    Mad179printid.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I've only been playing and buying pinball machines for a few months now and the prices seem very high. I've read that prices were a lot cheaper a few years ago. Does anyone think that prices will go back down or are the high prices here to stay and go higher?

As far as used machines go: the random sources of finding back room games in storage in the wild, or the situations "Little Jimmy doesn't play this anymore so we need it out of our basement" are getting thin. Hobbyists buy to repair and improve and regardless of flip or hold for awhile and selling later, those machines so later they will command a higher price...but only to a point. I think they will continue to rise, but if overpriced they tend to sit...as evidenced by every $2K+ Pinbot And $1.8K plus Cyclone I see relisted over and over again. The demand has gone up in recent years with the resurgence in the popularity of pinball, while the supplies have gone down - there you have it.

#32 9 years ago

Getting hard to find many titles, let alone find them at good deals.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Pinball isn't as popular with 20 somethings as it is with 30 somethings and 40 somethings. Being a 26 year old I am just waiting for all of you to die off so I can get the cheap games at the estate sales.

I'm sure my kids will probably trade you my pins for whatever is the next XBOX or other popular gadget.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

As would I but say they made 4000 Elvira's in 1989, how many do you think exist today? Id venture a guess of around 1800.

And $1800 is about the magic number - The minimum that folks are asking for player/project condition EATPM machines these days if you see any at all, otherwise they are collector/restored and shoot way up from there.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Prices have slowly been coming down for 6 to 8 months now.

I guess it depends on your location and the games you are looking at. I seen nothing but rising prices. Around Ohio everything is high and climbing as far as used older games go.

Worn out project condition Eight Ball, should be at the absolute most $600. Is listed for $1300:
    cleveland.craigslist.org link

Relisted over and over:
    Maverick $1800

Cyclone $2000

This would be like winning the lottery, and never happens:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-monday-pickup-250-rollergames

No project solids states. Retail priced solid states and high priced "shopped" EMs. Expensive relists. Where can I find a project solid state for $300?

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Listed prices don't mean anything. So there's an overpriced game that keeps getting relisted and isn't selling? Isn't that just proof that the market isn't what these sellers wish it was? The games that sell set the prices, not what people list them for.
    I could put my METLE up for sale for $14k, and that wouldn't suddenly double its value.

So how can you get these folks to realize what an acceptable offer is? Or is that not possible because a realistic offer appears such a lowball compared to the fantasy price they list at?

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from changingGears:

Then again, as I said before I see a lot of games sitting. Looking up recent price checks they are in the ball park, but the demand is just not there?

If it's sitting it's not in the ballpark. IMO:

If it sells in hours or less - great deal, superb price.
    If it sells in days - fair, market price.
    If it doesn't sell/sits for weeks or more - overpriced.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Classic cars are huge, expensive, and difficult to maintain

Difficult to maintain? At least I can get to the engine way ahead of time than the guy with the late model.

6cyl2.jpg6cyl2.jpg mump_0903_04_z+2006_ford_mustang_gt+stock_engine.jpgmump_0903_04_z+2006_ford_mustang_gt+stock_engine.jpg
    #117 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But pinball machines are big!!!!

And so are classic cars, what's your point?

matchbox_car_3_2.jpgmatchbox_car_3_2.jpg
    #131 9 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

I agree, but if it is not sustained it could represent an artificial increase in prices.

What???? In laymen's terms for the rest of us.

Novelty is a part of every collector classic: whether it be jukebox, car, victrola, baseball card, old pinball etc... Please expand on this concept. To me an an "artificial" increase in price, means it's not actually selling at this price, but this is an asking price that is perceived as its value. A real price is the genuine hammer price that is being paid. How do you separate an artificial asking price from a "I-don't-really-want-to-sell-it-unless-I-get-the-absurd-price-I-am-asking" price? ...or are they the same thing?

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

I think it would be interesting to know how many new Pinside accounts are created each month, then compare that number to previous months.
    If more people are starting accounts than the last month it would show popularity increasing=prices stable or rising.
    If less people are starting accounts than the last month it could show popularity falling=lowering of prices.
    I am not saying Pinside is the "center of the pinball world" but it could show trends.
    Just looking at the "number of Pinsiders online" at any given time has changed dramatically since I started my account and so has the prices.

Pinsider accounts probably have very little bearing on pricing, heck - they probably have little relationship to pin ownership. I would guess that a lot of folks coming and going on Pinside do not even own a pinball machine.

#146 9 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

I disagree that pinball is a novelty that will quickly wear thin. Every product moves through a life cycle that can be 1 year or a 100 years. Hard to argue that pinball is on the down slope but the ride down can be a saw tooth vs. straight line and last a really long time. There is a huge % if the population that never had the opportunity to experience pinball. Why wouldn't 1000's of them be attracted to it for the same reasons it was so popular for decades. Most Pinsiders are only in their 30's. The new machines are fun as hell and have themes that are appealing to the younger crowd. No one that sees my new Sterns thinks they are from the 90's or look outdated. I see no reason pinball won't continue to grow in popularity for the next 10+ years, with prices determined more by competition rather than a shrinking pool of buyers. Prices are obviously softening but that doesn't mean they won't eventually rebound and move even higher.

I also see pinball has many subgroup perspectives, derived from how I see many of these discussions go. There's a "NIB" crowd...watching trends in new product, speaking in tongues of "LE","bubble", "boutique" and other concepts that I don't really understand. groups of 90's pinfans probably dominate in numbers for the online forum. But there are core Pinsiders also into only EM's, early coin op. There are players, lurkers, and there are the newbs who are just dropping into the world of pinball. The same market forces don't always act upon these different slices of the pie graph, and it becomes difficult to predict the pinball hobby as a whole.

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

Your thoughts are valid, and I would add the following:
    1. People got bored with pinball in the past, that is why we do not have arcades in every mall and shopping center anymore. Games like TZ, TAF, AFM, MM could not keep the arcade doors open. The novelty wears off...is pinball innovating in significant enough ways to avoid this? I think JJP is the best thing that could have happened to pinball by driving innovation, but can he keep it up and keep moving forward? Stern is the industry standard, and while I LOVE a few of the newer machines, a lot of them look very much alike to me. Very similar playfields, layouts, ramps, etc. I am not sure how that bodes for the industry going forward.
    2. When I have people over to play that are new to pinball, the 90's dmd machines look a lot like the 2000's and 2010's. Two flippers, brightly colored playfield, metal and plastic ramps, vuks, pop bumpers, a toy on the playfield, multiball, callouts, and dmd animations. The pinball innovations in recent years seem like a big deal to us, but I do not think they are game changers for non-enthusiasts. Take a pinball noob and have them play a nice Mustang and Corvette and see if they can even guess how much newer one is than the other.
    3. A lot of us got into pinball because of the cheap prices following the collapse of arcades. For me, getting a JP or a T2 for $1000 was good times, and since they had depreciated so much value, reasonably safe. It is a lot harder to get new people in at $3000-$5000 per machine...heck, $1000 is a lot of money for most people. I don't think there are large numbers of untapped people willing to throw tens of thousands of dollars into a personal hobby like pinball. I know a lot of people that live paycheck to paycheck.
    Sometimes I feel like I am the only non-millionaire on Pinside, but I know I am part of the overwhelming majority of people who are influenced by price point. I have hedged my bets on the industry and adjusted my collection accordingly. For me, it is not about getting out, but being truly comfortable with my exposure to loss.

#1 - people didn't get bored with it...people found the alternative of the new electronic age: the video game. At the time in arcades, and then shortly after moved to the home console platform. That's why we no longer have pinball in the wild everywhere.
    #2 When I have pinball playing guests in the home, they have no clue that there are things to pay attention to on a DMD. They thought it was just there to display scores like on the 80s games.
    #3 For the most part agree, I am lucky to have a handful of the less expensive 80s pins. You're not the only non-millionaire on pinside for certain. Pinball can be enjoyed in it's less expensive form, you are just less likely to be getting A list titles in your home game room.

#153 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

To me it seems apparent that the top end finally hit a ceiling which is 8k. We now have TONS of new great games coming out in the next 6-12 months.
    A buddy of mine with a top notch collection and I have been in agreement with this since STLE came out. I think $8k for NIB is somewhat of a top end for a while. And I think we're going to see very good condition classic B/W games topping out here as well.
    I also think that if prices move down somewhat on NIB that MSRP will remain the same and the prices will be lowered to the distributor. I don't think Stern or JJP want to move off that MSRP.

^ exactly my point earlier ^
    Pinheads into the new, latest and greatest feel that prices are moving down or predict they are going to move down. Folks like me with older pre- 90's games see them going up, and probably also anticipate the older games continuing to go up in price.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-prices-ever-go-back-down?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.