Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by maddog14
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What will happen to pin prices?”

• Prices will go down 63 votes
      36%
    • Prices will stay the same 65 votes
      37%
    • Prices will go down 49 votes
      28%

(177 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matchbox_car_3_2.jpg
    mump_0903_04_z+2006_ford_mustang_gt+stock_engine.jpg
    6cyl2.jpg
    Mad179printid.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider playernumber4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 9 years ago

Prices have slowly been coming down for 6 to 8 months now. Lots of HUO games available too since so many HUO owners are just making room for some of the new games.
    However, these prices normally start climbing by 100-200 bucks or more for bigger name titles now that "pinball season" is starting again here in the east coast areas where we retreat to our basements when the weather gets cold, and when so many leagues start back up again.

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from dos_reboot:

Reposted from another thread (with new format)...
    When I started collecting (before prices really climbed), it seems that more collectors were willing to rotate their titles more freely with the understanding that if they ever wanted that pin again that it would be easy and cheap enough to find another one. Games were cheap and plentiful. Not in the best shape, but if you wanted a certain pin they were out there for a decent price. Even NIB were somewhat affordable.
    Economy tanked. When Stern had to increase prices to stay in business it seemed the sky was falling. Collectors started hoarding games thinking *end of pinball times*. Once games were harder to come by, collector started to lock in their 'must haves'. This drought drove up prices even more which in turn tighted collectors grips even more ("I can't let go of my <insert A-title here>, I'll never find another one for <2005 price> again in 2010".) Grail games were restored, increasing their investment.
    The economy came back. Pinball came back. Pinball grew in popularity. Seeing prices hadn't retreated, collectors continued to dig in their heels and refused to sell. This created a somewhat false demand in games for the few who wanted certain titles that were sitting idle in many collector's basements. When they did sell, restored games fetch crazy prices. Stern/JJP's prices and 'tiered' selling model start to reflect the new pin economy. HUO game prices followed. Some LE's become unobtainium further justifying Stern's tiered model strategy. Collectors started customizing on a grand scale, pouring money into game cosmetics. Secondary market prices went up further.
    Boutique and remakes see opportunity - some collectors start to 'cash out' with talk of bubble. Prices on some hot titles plateau for first time. Stern contiues to 'push' titles into market, code unfinished/unpolished. Many LE's NIB sit unsold. Market is saturated. Stern/JJP/Boutiques respond by giving collectors what they want - title, designer, features ... even re-running previous titles. Collectors respond by starting to rotate their titles more freely wanting the latest/greatest. HUO games drop slightly in price as result. That brings us to today.
    Just a quick take/observation. Feel free to edit.

Well said. Example: at the end of last year HUO SM was actually selling for $5700. There has been one around here for awhile now at $5200 and I don't know if it sold yet or not. POTC has come down about $300 too from its $4500. LOTR....I dunno what they are at now, but I sold mine last fall for $5200.
    Note: Some of the earlier examples posted appeared to be prices quoted from a flipper who had probably done some work on the games to bring them up to snuff and make a quick hundred off them (speculation). Prices on those era games will vary widely depending on their condition. The prices I was quoting were for relatively recent HUO games where the prices have been relatively consistant.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider playernumber4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-prices-ever-go-back-down?tu=playernumber4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.