Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by maddog14
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What will happen to pin prices?”

• Prices will go down 63 votes
      36%
    • Prices will stay the same 65 votes
      37%
    • Prices will go down 49 votes
      28%

(177 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matchbox_car_3_2.jpg
    mump_0903_04_z+2006_ford_mustang_gt+stock_engine.jpg
    6cyl2.jpg
    Mad179printid.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Yes, prices will go down. They will go down just like everything else. As we pinball folks die off, the demand will drop. Look at Juke Boxes. Same thing is happening with cars made in the 40's. The demand goes away as we go away. Sad but true.

This exact post appeared on RGP about 300 times over the past 15 years. Yet here we are, with games trading at prices that would make the old-schooler CARGPs over there break out into a cold sweat and possibly convulse.

Pinball machines AREN'T jukeboxes, and they certainly aren't cars, so you can throw the cargument out the window.

They are completely different. Classic cars are huge, expensive, and difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value. You aren't going to drive your cherry 1957 Bel Air to New Hampshire to see your folks.

Jukeboxes are large, difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value. An ipod the size of a postage stamp hooked up to a speaker the size of a brick does a far better job on it's intended responsibility with a mere fraction of prize, size, and complexity.

Pinball is completely different as the past 5-10 years have shown. When I started collecting in the early 2000s *I* was a young guy in a hobby of middle-aged white men. And the standard rap at that time was that it's an old, white, upper-middle class hobby and the popularity would deflate faster than a pierced Parton boob as soon as those fogies started dying off. The era of $500 Monster Bashes was right around the corner.

"It'll be JUST LIKE THE JUKEBOX hobby!" they always said.

Well, obviously that was bullshit. Pinball machines are completely different in that there is no other way to practically replicate the experience. Classic cars have a perfect alternative - a new Chevy. Jukeboxes do to - virtually everybody on the planet's phone.

Full-size, commercial, kickass pinball machines have NO viable alternative. Video pinball is Fn lame. "home" pinball machines are terrible.

So as long as people like pinball and think it's cool, this hobby will be fine and the prices won't plummet. There's a completely new generation of people in this hobby - a generation that 10 years ago everyone swore up and down wouldn't exist.

Well, I'm still waiting for my $500 monster bash. Maybe the NEXT 10 years will see it happen, because suddenly nobody will like pinball anymore.

Or, yet another generation of collectors 5 or 10 years down the road will get into it, just like last time.

I'm putting my money on this thing continuing for a while.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from changingGears:

*Scratches head*
    Pinball machines are huge, expensive, and difficult to maintain. Let's be real here you are spending up to 10k for a 20 year old amusement device. If they were easy to maintain why would there be a section devoted to repairing them on here?

I've never spent more than $3500 on a pinball machine in my life and I've gone through HUNDREDS. Most were under $1500. Half were under $500. Pinball machines are NOT expensive, they certainly aren't huge (you can fit one in most bathrooms).

I keep 15 of them in a space too small to even fit one car (I don't think the car would fit in the elevator, hallway or the several doors).

Cargument -don't work here.

Maintainance...hey whatever. Sorry I didn't mean to piss off a gearhead and unleash a bunch of stuff not really relevant to this discussion.

My point - as usual, 100% of the time when the cargument comes up, is that PINBALL MACHINES AREN'T CARS.

And the pinball hobby and the "classic car hobby" have very little in common. We could argue cars and pinball machines all day but the point I'd like you to take away from this is:

The idea that pin prices will drop because this happened to 1940s automobiles makes absolutely no sense.

#109 9 years ago

Pissed off, no. Perplexed at your argument, yes.
    You live in NY and your entire perspective is different. You opinions are based on daily experiences that are alien to the majority of people living within the US. You are also talking about areas that you do not appear to have first hand knowledge of. If you are a gear head or a jukebox collector then by all means say so, it just does not look that way.
    Oh also your 15 pin collection, even at 500 dollars a piece is more than a lot of people have in their car. 7500 dollars can go a long way in an old car.

Uhhh...

So you think because the 1940s automobile market tanked, the same is right around the corner for pinball machines?

It's a simple question and hopefully not too perplexing.

#111 9 years ago

No, I think you threw out a red herring and started talking about things you knew nothing about. You didn't post a simple question you ranted sir.
    The 40's automobiles tanked, jukeboxes tanked, and these too will tank someday. It is not an if, but a when. The when probably being far off short of an economic disaster. That doesn't mean we won't see prices fall here and there which is what appears to be happening now. I do not foresee a 500 dollar MB, but I do see prices dropping by a few hundred for some titles.

My "rant" was full of good stuff.

Cars and jukeboxes are not pinball machines. Those fallacies are as bad as any "red herring" I engaged in.

Of course pinball prices will tank eventually. The apes or zombies will take over one day and people will have bigger fish to fry.

People have been saying the pinball collapse is right around the corner for ages - cause after all that's what happened to jukeboxes and old cars. They have been saying this since literally the second I started buying pinball machines in 2002.

I don't see it happening any time soon. Please re-read my previous rant for the reasons.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You missed his point entirely. To most people, a car is something to get around. Most people will just buy a new car...old cars are easily replaced. To most people, music is a convenience. Most people are happy having thousands of songs on a phone or computer...old music devices are easily replaced. Pinball is only pinball if it's a pinball machine. If someone wants pinball, they want a real pinball machine. A real pinball machine cannot be replaced!

Yeah that was kind of my point. But as always, it gets lost in the fury of a the cargument.

You must never anger the cargument gods.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-prices-ever-go-back-down?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.