Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by maddog14
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What will happen to pin prices?”

• Prices will go down 63 votes
      36%
    • Prices will stay the same 65 votes
      37%
    • Prices will go down 49 votes
      28%

(177 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matchbox_car_3_2.jpg
    mump_0903_04_z+2006_ford_mustang_gt+stock_engine.jpg
    6cyl2.jpg
    Mad179printid.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider changinggears.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 9 years ago

Been out awhile and coming back in. Looking around it seems that prices are currently stagnant. Part of that might be to do with all the new machines currently being made. I do not expect to see prices bottom out, but as someone getting back in I am hesitant to pay a lot of the asking prices. Too many ads are staying up for long periods of time.

Also, another problem is that price points seem screwy. Some pins seem to have gone up while others have not. A good example of this is say Fish Tales vs Shadow. FT used to be a 1500 dollar game. It is fun, but now that it is breathing on the door of shadow it does not seem worth it. The same can be said of a few other games that I have seen.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Almost 3 times as many FT would actually be good evidence that FT was the far superior title back in the day.
    The fact that FT cost a similar amount as TS now, despite the much higher supply would also favor the fact that FT is athe better game.
    That is the most objective evidence you will get if you are looking for it.

If that is what the market will bear at the time, then I can see that. Thing is I am seeing these games sit. Another example is the 2200 T2 in the for sale section right now. If people are paying that more power to the seller. It is a fun game, but shallow as all get out. I had a bear of a time getting 1200 for mine a few years ago. At 2200 there are way way too many games that are more entertaining in that price bracket.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I missed it by about 30 minutes. That's the third one I have missed at $1500. Oh well. I'll find one. I have cash in hand for the right one. Looking for a player or semi project. But everyone thinks those are collectors pieces now.

I emailed the guy about it as well. Unshopped, newbie pin owner means it most likely had issues. I was in the middle of passing on it when I was told someone had put 100 dollars down via paypal on it.

Prices go up, because people get stupid and want things immediately. Next time one comes up for sale it will be higher because that one sold for 1500 and it wasn't shopped, etc. Vicious cycle.

Then again, as I said before I see a lot of games sitting. Looking up recent price checks they are in the ball park, but the demand is just not there?

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are completely different. Classic cars are huge, expensive, and difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value. You aren't going to drive your cherry 1957 Bel Air to New Hampshire to see your folks.

*Scratches head*
    Pinball machines are huge, expensive, and difficult to maintain. Let's be real here you are spending up to 10k for a 20 year old amusement device. If they were easy to maintain why would there be a section devoted to repairing them on here?

In a lot of ways a 60's car is easier to maintain then a WPC era game. Houses also come with garages and driveways. When have you seen a house with a dedicated pinball room?

Also you are not a car person. Old cars vs new cars are apples and oranges. Very similar how a virtual pin feels compared to a real pin. Modern cars are safer, more reliable, do not smell of oil, handle better, get better gas mileage, and go faster. They also feel much less detached. Mind you my car is a new miata which is about as bare bones as you can buy anymore.

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My point - as usual, 100% of the time when the cargument comes up, is that PINBALL MACHINES AREN'T CARS.
    And the pinball hobby and the "classic car hobby" have very little in common. The idea that pin prices will drop because this happened to 1940s automobiles makes absolutely no sense.

Pissed off, no. Perplexed at your argument, yes.

You live in NY and your entire perspective is different. You opinions are based on daily experiences that are alien to the majority of people living within the US. You are also talking about areas that you do not appear to have first hand knowledge of. If you are a gear head or a jukebox collector then by all means say so, it just does not look that way.

Oh also your 15 pin collection, even at 500 dollars a piece is more than a lot of people have in their car. 7500 dollars can go a long way in an old car.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Uhhh...
    So you think because the 1940s automobile market tanked, the same is right around the corner for pinball machines?
    It's a simple question and hopefully not too perplexing.

No, I think you threw out a red herring and started talking about things you knew nothing about. You didn't post a simple question you ranted sir.

The 40's automobiles tanked, jukeboxes tanked, and these too will tank someday. It is not an if, but a when. The when probably being far off short of an economic disaster. That doesn't mean we won't see prices fall here and there which is what appears to be happening now. I do not foresee a 500 dollar MB, but I do see prices dropping by a few hundred for some titles.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My "rant" was full of good stuff.

You are right it had real gems like.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are completely different. Classic cars are huge, expensive, and difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value.

Your 15 machines require a large amount of space. They require special knowledge to maintain. Oh, and if the average value is 1500 (you lised 500, 1500, and 3500 in another post) then they are worth more then I bought a brand new miata for. That is EXPENSIVE.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jukeboxes are large, difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value.

Pinball machines are large, difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value.

Thank you for sharing these nuggets of knowledge with the class.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah that was kind of my point. But as always, it gets lost in the fury of a the cargument.
    You must never anger the cargument gods.

Funnily enough I find the jukebox argument just as silly. The only part that seemed reasonable is the ipod aspect.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

very wise decision right there.

The only way to win is not to play.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider changinggears.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-prices-ever-go-back-down?tu=changinggears and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.